Chapter 10

Dancing In The Rain

"I know that Christmas is over but uh.. here's your gift"

 

Mina handed out a pink paper bag and Chaeyoung gladly took it. But thrown a startled look at Mina.

 

There's still four days left before their planned return but Mina decided to go back to Korea earlier. She called Sana and Momo to tell her decision and they agreed to it without even asking further more questions.

 

Since that day that Mina and Chaeyoung met in Japan, Mina couldn't stop thinking about her again. It's like she's there but her heart and mind is telling her to go to Korea as soon as possible. And as weak as she is, Mina followed her heart once again.

 

So here she is, a day after arriving, Chaeyoung and her planned to meet up. As usual, they're hanging out at Chaeyoung's place like what they always did. As true as it is, Mina can't deny that she really missed spending her days with Chaeyoung. Even if they're just eating or watching movies. As long as she's with Chaeyoung, every moment seemed to be so special.

 

"Oh, wow. Thank you, Mina" Chaeyoung smiled at her. "I didn't expect to receive a gift from you"

 

"Well.. just open it" 

 

Chaeyoung did as what she's told and gently opened the pink paper bag. Her eyes widened as she pulled out a brown knitted beanie. 

 

"Wow! A knitted beanie. Don't tell me.. you made this yourself?" Chaeyoung said while caressing the beanie on her hand. 

 

"Uh.. yes. It's newly made, I made it while I have a free time in Japan" Mina shyly confessed. 

 

"Mina, you have such a creative hands. Really.. it's so pretty" 

 

"Do you like it?" Mina asked while smiling and Chaeyoung quickly nodded. "That's a relief! Come on I'll wear it to you" 

 

Mina stood up and walked towards Chaeyoung. She grabbed the beanie and fixed it so it's facing front and helped Chaeyoung wear it. Mina looked at Chaeyoung with a proud face because it really suits her. 

 

"How's it Chaeyoung? I think it fits perfectly to you" 

 

"Yes, it is. I'm quite surprised and afraid that it might not fit but it did" she said as she looked in the mirror. "Thank you so much, Mina" 

 

"Glad you liked it. I decided to made you one since it's getting cold here in Korea and I also noticed that you like wearing hats and beanies" 

 

"Such an observant" Chaeyoung teased. She grabbed the paper bag again and her brows furrowed. "Oh. There's more?" 

 

Chaeyoung pulled out a gray scarf. Mina was shy all over again but still silently grabbed it and wear it to Chaeyoung. Mina doesn't know why her hands were trembling, maybe because they're just inches away from each other and she could hear their heavy breathing. Or maybe.. because she could feel Chaeyoung's intense stares. 

 

When she's done and just finishing fixing the ends of it, Mina's eyes landed on Chaeyoung's. And she was right, Chaeyoung was staring at her. 

 

To cut off what trance she's been under, Mina decided to start a conversation. "Uh.." she cleared . "I found it in my room when I was cleaning. I made it even before I came to Korea so yeah.. I decided to give it to you" 

 

"Beautiful.." 

 

Mina shot up her brows in panic. "Huh?" 

 

"Your gifts.. I mean they're all beautiful. Thank you, Mina" 

 

"Oh, you're welcome. It's not that great but I'm glad you liked it" Mina let out an awkward laugh. 

 

"I also got something for you. Wait here" 

 

Mina watched as Chaeyoung went to her room. She wasn't expecting that Chaeyoung would prepare something for her too. Her cheeks were hot again and she had to fan herself before Chaeyoung gets back. 

 

"Here.. Merry Christmas, Mina" Chaeyoung said as she handed a small blue box to her. "I'm sorry I didn't have the time to wrap it" 

 

"No, it's okay. You didn't have to give me a gift you know" 

 

Mina opened that small box and her heart almost dropped after seeing the shiny bracelet inside it. It was a silver one with a little swan pendant on it. 

 

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed as she covered . "It's so pretty, Chaeyoung" 

 

"Yeah, it really is pretty" she said while looking at Mina. Chaeyoung sat beside her and helped her wear it. 

 

Mina adored the bracelet that sits perfectly on her wrist. 

 

"I hope you always wear that. So whenever I'm not with you, you'll still feel like it" 

 

Chaeyoung looked at Mina as she started to divert her gaze onto her. She was welcomed by Mina's blushing cheeks and a warm smile. Their little moment was interrupted by the sudden rang of the door bell. 

 

"How's my bro Chae...young" Dahyun shouted as she entered with open arms, holding black plastic bags. She stopped as her eyes widened as she got a sight of Mina on the living room. "Mina.. didn't know you're here" 

 

"Hi Dahyun, I'm sorry Chaeyoung didn't told me that you guys have a plan today" 

 

"No Mina it's not your fault" Chaeyoung said and looked back at Dahyun. "You guys didn't call" 

 

"I called you and you didn't answer" Jeongyeon answered. 

 

"Dude, it's because she's busy" she teased more so she earned a smack from Chaeyoung. 

 

The two of them went straight to the kitchen while Jeongyeon sat on the living room. It made an awkward silence between her and Mina plus she's already embarrassed that Chaeyoung's friends are here. 

 

"So.. how are you Mina?" 

 

Mina looked at Jeongyeon for suddenly opening up a topic. "Well, uh, good I guess" 

 

Jeongyeon nodded and sipped on her soda. "I just realized that we always see each other almost everyday but we rarely talk. Our friends already got close with each other but I can see you're still kinda awkward with me" 

 

"Oh. No. Please don't get my actions wrong, Jeongyeon" Mina panicked a little. "I am just like this, kinda shy. I rarely talk too, if someone didn't approach me first I wouldn't really talk" 

 

"Really? It's okay" she laughed and looked at Mina. "But I guess Chaeyoung is an exception right?" 

 

"H-huh?" Mina is already dying from being so shy. 

 

"Nothing.. I'm glad you two are okay now. How are the things going on between the both of you?" 

 

"It's just.. the same. Nothing changed. We just had a little misunderstanding" 

 

Jeongyeon nodded and crossed her arms. "So you're still.. friends, right? Because that's what Chaeyoung always say when we ask her about you. She said you two are just friends" 

 

Mina stopped and stared at Jeongyeon upon hearing it. She's just saying the truth, they're just friends, it's true. But why does it still hurt to know that for Chaeyoung, she's just a.. friend"

 

"Yeah.. I guess we are" Mina smiled and stood up. "Just like everybody else" 

 

"And you both should just stay that way. Mina, it's for the better" 

 

Mina was still confused by what Jeongyeon said but she didn't have a chance to ask her about it. Dahyun and Chaeyoung already entered the living room bringing snacks and drinks. 

 

"Mina are you going somewhere?" Chaeyoung asked. 

 

"Uh.. yes. I need to do something at our condo" 

 

Chaeyoung quickly put the food on the table and walked to Mina. "Let's go, I'll drive you home" 

 

"No, no. It's okay Chaeyoung I can go home alone" she refused. "Stay here with your friends. Promise I'll be fine" 

 

Mina walked out as fast as she can without even bothering how weird she is in the eyes of Chaeyoung and her friends. She hust suddenly felt suffocated. And since that day, Mina did what Chaeyoung did to her. Completely ignoring her.

 

The reason for doing it is still not clear to Mina but at that time, she just felt like it was a right thing to do. Days passed, she's still bothered by Jeongyeon's words and by the fact that she's just a friend to Chaeyoung. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

Before the class starts, Jihyo arranged a party to enjoy the last days of their break. Surely after this they'll be back to being busy and stressed with their school works. As usual, the place is at The Blacklist. Jihyo reserved a whole seat for all of them.

 

Mina knew that even if she doesn't want it, she'll see Chaeyoung tonight and it's unavoidable. So the last thing she could do is to make sure that she's not going to sit beside her. Right now, she's in the middle of Momo and Sana. But, she doesn't know if it's a good thing because her friends are interrogating her again.

 

"You're telling us that you're avoiding her now?" Sana asked again, as if confirming it once more. Mina nodded and drank her cocktail.

 

"You guys are so frustrating!" Momo exclaimed. "Are the two of you playing some sort of push and pull game, huh Mina?"

 

"What?! No! I also don't know why I'm doing this but you know.. I was just hurt!"

 

"Hurt by what?" Sana raised an eyebrow.

 

"She told them that I'm just her friend!"

 

"You're unbelievable, Mina! Just because of that? You ignored Chaeyoung?!" Momo was really overreacting but Mina knew she was just frustrated too. "So tell me, you're really friends right?"

 

"Uh.. yes"

 

Momo sighed. "Goodness! Then what are you expecting her to say? Girlfriend?!"

 

"If you want her to change her answer then tell her to make you her girlfriend" Sana added up. "Sulking over a nonsense thing"

 

Before Mina could defend herself, her lip tightened. Mouth shut, heart racing. Chaeyoung together with Dahyun and Jeongyeon just arrived. She tried her best to avoid eye contact with her but Mina could feel how Chaeyoung was staring at her.

 

In the end, she looked back at her and smiled. Just to lighten things up and not be too suspicious. If she's really not obvious anymore.

 

The night deepen and their friends are kinda getting drunk now. But Mina stopped drinking ever since Chaeyoung arrived, she doesn't want to embarass herself again because of too much alcohol and someone should take care of their friends at least. Mina noticed that Chaeyoung isn't drinking that much too or talking a lot, if she's not wrong, Mina would think that Chaeyoung is just staring at her the whole time. 

 

Mina wanted to escape for a little while so she thought of an excuse. "I'll just go to the bathroom" she said to Sana. 

 

But Mina took a different direction and went outside. To the smoking area. Mina was a bit startled when it was pouring outside. She leaned on the wall as she hugged herself because of the sudden cold. After how many minutes, someone stood beside her. 

 

"C-Chaeyoung.. what are you doing here?" she asked, still a little bit shocked. 

 

"I followed you, obviously" 

 

"Oh. Right" she laughed awkwardly. "I just thought you'll smoke again" 

 

Chaeyoung chuckled a little. "No. I already quit smoking. Because of you" 

 

Mina had to look at Chaeyoung because of that. Mouth hanging open but Chaeyoung was just watching the rain as it pours. Her face is slightly illuminated by the light from the post. 

 

"I still remember that night when you approached me here. You know.. you already caught my attention" 

 

"Gosh, Chaeyoung! You really have a habit of embarrassing me" then they laughed. "Well, I could also still remember the first time I met you. It was also raining that day" 

 

Mina was smiling upon reminiscing that moment. She stepped forward and held out her hand to catch rain drops. It felt cold in her hands but somehow it also felt relaxing. 

 

It's like how Chaeyoung is making her feel right now. She's confusing Mina and sometimes hurting her but still, gave her warmth and happiness that only Chaeyoung could give. 

 

Mina turned around at Chaeyoung, still smiling, and held out her hand to her. Chaeyoung looked at her hand and to Mina with confused look on her face. 

 

"Let's go, come on!" 

 

Even if she's still clueless, Chaeyoung held Mina's hand. The moment she did that, Mina dragged her outside the shed and they ran into the rain. 

 

Mina was laughing out loud as she completely dragged Chaeyoung into the middle of the road. They stopped there and Chaeyoung just watched Mina as she happily jump and turn, playing with the heavy rain. 

 

Chaeyoung hated the raing. But at that moment, she just found herself admiring those tiny drops as it fell to the woman she's adoring. She suddenly held Mina by the waist which made the latter stop and stare at her. 

 

"Mina.. why are you avoiding me?" 

 

"What? N-no, I'm not-" 

 

Chaeyoung tightened her grip. "Please, just tell me.. because it's making me crazy. You're making me crazy Mina" 

 

"Why are you doing this to me, Chaeyoung? Why are you always giving me mixed signals?" Mina finally said after a long silence. "You.. you said we're just friends right? You told them we're just friends! Damn, you're making me crazy too. Are you doing this because.. I told you I like you?" 

 

"I like you too, Mina" 

 

It's like the world stopped turning. The heavy rain and the thunder faded and Mina could only hear her loud beating heart. 

 

"I know this is going too fast but since I saw you in Japan, I already decided to not lose you again" Chaeyoung continued. "Mina, will you be my girlfriend?" 

 

They were soaked in the rain. Even if Mina's crying, she doubt that Chaeyoung could see it. But then again, her heart was screaming with too much happiness. 

 

"Baby, please tell me something-" 

 

Mina put her arms around Chaeyoung's nape and pulled her for a kiss. Her eyes were tightly close as their lips were pressed against each other. 

 

"Yes, Chaeyoung. Yes" 

 

That night, with the heavy rain still pouring on them. The loud thunder and the lightning lighting up the dark sky. 

 

Mina and Chaeyoung were the happiest in each other's arms. 

 

As they danced in the rain.