Chapter 4

Dancing In The Rain

As soon as she got inside Momo's unit, Mina leaned on the door while clutching her chest. She could feel how her heart was thumping so fast it feels like it's about to jump out. She's trying to calm herself down and even patting her heated cheek. 

 

 

"Oh, Mina's already here" Mina quickly snapped out of her thoughts upon hearing Momo. "Are you okay? You're so red" 

 

 

"Mina! Come here and eat breakfast" they could hear Sana shouting from the kitchen. 

 

 

"I'm fine, Momo" 

 

 

Mina started to walk to the kitchen as Momo kept on staring at her suspiciously. Mina thought that maybe she was just acting very weird. 

 

 

"I'll just have water, Sana" 

 

 

"Huh? Why?" Sana turned to look at her, surprised. Since it's Mina's golden rule to never skip breakfast. "Are you not hungry?" 

 

 

Mina smiled timidly, almost avoiding eye contact. "Uh.. I already ate.. outside" 

 

 

"Alone?" 

 

 

"With a friend" she hurriedly made her way out of the kitchen before Sana could even ask more questions. "I'll fix my stuff and let's go home. We still have lots of homework to do" 

 

 

Just as planned, they already went back to their own unit even though Momo still insisted for them so stay over lunch. Sana stopped asking Mina about her "friend" although Mina knew that her friend is still thinking about it. It's the one thing that she liked about Sana, she will never force Mina on something or anything. She'll just let Mina took her time and to tell it herself. That's the amount of trust she has for Mina and vice versa. 

 

 

Mina had to take an afternoon nap before doing all their school works just to get energized because she knew she can't function if she's tired and sleepy. So now, it's already dark and she doesn't even started a single thing. Sana and her are at their living room, they are using the either side of the coffee table. Their materials are all laid out and they are both focused on doing their sketches. 

 

 

Suddenly, Mina's phone rang. She was about to ignore it not until when she glanced on her phone and saw that it was an unknown number. Mina picked it up and stood up quickly that she almost startled Sana. 

 

 

"Sorry!" she shouted as ran towards her room. 

 

 

Mina sat on her bed and inhaled a deep breath before answering the call. She's going crazy even if she's just assuming that maybe it's Chaeyoung. Just the thought of it is making her giddy. 

 

 

"Hello?" she quietly spoke. 

 

 

Mina heard the person on the other line cleared its throat. "Uh, hi Mina?" 

 

 

Mina wantes to squeal upon hearing that voice. She had to move away her phone as she muffled her gasps. It's confirmed, it's really Chaeyoung. 

 

 

"Hey Mina, are you still there?" 

 

 

"Uh, yes yes.. I'm here" she patted her cheek to focus and think straight. "I thought you still wouldn't call" 

 

 

"I promised to call, I don't break promises" Chaeyoung chuckled and there goes Mina's butterflies on her belly. "Are you still at your friend's condo?" 

 

 

"No, we're already back on ours" 

 

 

"I see. I'm sorry I took too long to call, when I came back on my unit this morning my friends are already there waiting for me" 

 

 

"Oh, it's okay. You don't need to be sorry" Mina was really suppressing so many feelings right now. "Chaeyoung, can I ask you something?" 

 

 

"Sure, what is it?" 

 

 

"Well.. I was just wondering why I didn't saw you at the gym?" This question kept on bugging Mina as she was still that surprised to ran into Chaeyoung that morning. 

 

 

"I was doing my lifting on the other room. Maybe that's why I also didn't saw you going in" 

 

 

Mina nodded along as if Chaeyoung could see her. "That explains why" 

 

 

Chaeyoung cleared again after seconds of silence. "Uh Mina, I was really about to ask you out for dinner tonight but apparently, my friends already made other plans for me" 

 

 

If it would just not really embarass her right now, Mina would've squealed already. She's going nut, Chaeyoung is making her nuts. Mina doesn't even know why she's easily swayed by Chaeyoung's words. It's like everything that comes out of are flowers and rainbows. 

 

 

Mina was interrupted when Sana knocked on her door and shouted. "Mina! Come out now because dinner is ready" 

 

 

"Chaeyoung, it's fine, really. Enjoy with your friends tonight and maybe we could just go out on a dinner next time" 

 

 

"Really? There's a next time?" Mina's cheeks felt hot once again upon hearing the teasing tone on Chaeyoung's voice. 

 

 

"Uh, I mean, yeah? If you want to but-" 

 

 

"Mina let's eat lunch together tomorrow at school" 

 

 

"Huh?!" Mina could swear that her breath hitched at that. It's like her brain was malfunctioning. "Wait.. It's not like I don't want to but I can't ditch my friends" 

 

 

Chaeyoung chuckled on the other line. "No problem. Then let's eat lunch with them, I'll invite my friends too" 

 

 

The way Chaeyoung said it is like it's already planned and final. Never irrevocable. And like someone hypnotized, Mina couldn't disagree on that and just mentally agreed on a lunch date tomorrow with their friends. 

 

 

"O-okay. I need to hang up now, my friend is already calling me for dinner" 

 

 

"Right. I need to go too now" Mina could hear ruffled noise on the background. "See you tomorrow, Mina" 

 

 

"Y-yeah. See y-you tomorrow, Chaeyoung" 

 

 

As the line beeped indicating that the call already ended, Mina could only let go a huge amount of air. She didn't even know that she'd been holding her breath for a long time now. Mina plopped on her bed as she stared on her ceiling, her hand with her phone rested on her chest. She started squealing and flapping her feet from too much happiness and excitement. 

 

 

"What the hell Myoui Mina?!" she was so startled that she sprung up on her bed when the door flung open and Sana was there. "I've been calling and waiting for you! What are you doing?" 

 

 

"Nothing!" she smiled as she walked over Sana and draped her arms over her shoulder. "Come on, let's eat" 

 

 

"You're really acting so suspicious, Mina!" 

 

 

The next day, they had a vacant at nine in the morning so Mina and Sana decided to stay at a kiosk. But as lunch time is getting nearer, Mina can't contain her excitement and nervousness. She's even kept on glancing at her watch to keep track of time. 

 

 

They were just using their free time to finish their sketches when Momo arrived, all smiley and even skipping her way through them. 

 

 

"Oh my God guys! Guess what?!" 

 

 

Sana looked at her with arms crossed, as if judging her friend who's going crazy again. "What is it again, Momo?" 

 

 

"Dahyun just invited me to have lunch together!" she squealed. "I mean.. us. But still!" 

 

 

Mina wanted to laugh at her but she suddenly realized something. That maybe, this is Chaeyoung's plan all along. She already said it to Mina last night, and she was really serious. Mina couldn't help but to smile to herself again just by thinking about how true it is that they're really seeing each other later. 

 

 

"Goodness! I really thought it was something important. And you Mina! You're smiling alone again!" Sana even pointed at her. "You were also smiling to yourself yesterday while washing the dishes. Gosh! Why are my friends going crazy?" 

 

 

"What are you talking about? I'm not!" Mina denied. 

 

 

Momo chuckled at them. "Come on, Sana. Stop being so bitter and stop teasing Mina. I think this girl is really having a crush on someone" 

 

 

"Crush my !" Mina rolled her eyes at them. 

 

 

At exactly twelve noon, their morning class ended. Sana and Mina are already on their way to the cafeteria. Momo texted them that she already saved a seat for everyone. 

 

 

"Momo is really so determined with this lunch, huh? She even went there so early" 

 

 

Mina laughed at Sana's remarks. "Just let her live, Sana. This crush thing of hers is making her really happy"

 

 

"Whatever! Maybe she's right, you're experiencing the same" she squinted her eyes at Mina. 

 

 

When the two of them arrived, Jihyo and Tzuyu is also already there. 

 

 

"Sana! Hi, here" Tzuyu called as she tapped the vacant sit beside her. Sana smiled at her and happily sat down. And Mina follwed her. 

 

 

"Dahyun said that they're almost here" Momo announced and it made Mina's heart doubled its beating. She absent-mindedly fixed her uniform and her hair, as if trying to look pleasant. 

 

 

They were all just happily talking with each other when suddenly Momo stood up while waving her hands. 

 

 

"Dahyun, here!" 

 

 

Mina gulped down and wiped her sweating hands. She wanted to scold herself so bad for behaving so weird when there's nothing to be nervous about. Damn it Mina, it's just lunch!

 

 

"Hi guys! So sorry to keep you all waiting" Dahyun said as they all sat down. Mina can't even lift her head up but when she did, it was just to know that Chaeyoung chose to sit in front of her. 

 

 

"I didn't know you're all friends too!" Jihyo said and even smacked Jeongyeon. "Ya! Yoo Jeongyeon! You owe me a drink for not showing up on yesterday's party" 

 

 

"I told you the three of us already had a plan last night but okay, sure" Jeongyeon said and Jihyo winked at her. 

 

 

Mina wanted to focus on her surroundings, on what everyone is saying but she just can't because she could feel someone is staring at her. And she's not wrong, because when she looked up her and Chaeyoung's eyes met. She didn't know what to do so she just gave her a shy smile. 

 

 

Chaeyoung then ran her hands through her hair and Mina could swear that she stared too long at her. She was even afraid that she's drooling over her. Mina had to shake her head and look away. 

 

 

"Hey Mina, you okay?" Sana asked and she just nodded to keep her from being bugged. 

 

 

"Oh, right! Let me introduce our other friend here, the one I told you guys about" Dahyun said and put her arm around Chaeyoung's shoulder. "This is Son Chaeyoung" 

 

 

"Hi..." Chaeyoung said but she was just staring straight at Mina, as if it was just meant for her. She could feel it bore into her that it's making Mina's inside turn. They were staring too much until Dahyun cleared and it made Chaeyoung look at everyone. "It's nice to meet all of you" 

 

 

Everyone was just happily talking while eating, they all got close so fast Mina liked to think that they've really known each other for a long time now. It's like Chaeyoung and her had a different world of their own because they weren't talking or joining their other friends, they would just always kept on giving glances and smiles at each other. 

 

 

They are all now about to go on their different classes. Everyone is just saying goodbye but Jihyo already planned another meet up with all of them. Mina was just silently following behind them when Chaeyoung called her. 

 

 

"Mina.." it's was just her that Chaeyoung called but everyone looked and had their attention over them. Maybe because all throughout that lunch, this is the first time that Chaeyoung spoke and talked to Mina. "Uh.. can we talk?" 

 

 

The two of them awkwardly looked at their friends. Others have teasing faces while Jeongyeon just remained serious and Sana is filled with confusion. 

 

 

"Yeah. Sure" 

 

 

They both stood under a big tree while Sana, Momo, Jihyo and Dahyun all waited at the hallway. Jeongyeon and Tzuyu go back to their classes first. 

 

 

"I'm sorry I had to call you out. I just.. I want to talk to you privately since we didn't even had a chance to talk with each other during lunch" Chaeyoung explained. 

 

 

"No, it's okay" Mina smiled. "Me too, I also don't know how to talk to you with uh.. with my friends around" 

 

 

"That's okay, we can work on that" Chaeyoung smiled too. And every time she does that, Mina's heart is wilding more and more. "What time does your class end today?" 

 

 

"Wait. I'll check it" Mina looked at her schedule on her phone. "Uh, it ends at four. Why?" 

 

 

"Okay. Then, see you later. I'll wait for you at car park" 

 

 

Mina's mouth hanged open. She's still trying to process. "What do you mean? I mean.. huh??" 

 

 

"I said see you later, Mina" she even fixed Mina's hair that's being blown by the wind and fell on her face. Mina stood frozen by that gesture, her heart is pounding so fast. "Come on, I don't want you to be late and your friend is already glaring at me" 

 

 

Mina snapped out and turn to look at Sana who's already telling her to hurry up. She was so afraid that maybe she saw what happened.. that they saw what Chaeyoung did. 

 

 

"Let's go Dahyun" she said as soon as they arrive at the hallway. Chaeyoung gave a quick glance again at Mina before looking at everyone. "Again, it's nice to meet you all" 

 

 

The four of them watched as Dahyun and Chaeyoung walked away. And when they are already far enough to hear them, Jihyo and Momo started to shook Mina. They are even squealing so Mina can't help but to shyly laugh. 

 

 

"What was that, Mina? Oh my God! We saw it!" Momo cheerfully said. 

 

 

Sana scoffed and crossed her arms. It made Mina guilty, she knows that Sana is already kinda upset. "What's going on between you and that Chaeyoung, huh Mina?" 

 

 

"N-nothing.. okay? We're friends.." 

 

 

"Friends my , Mina! We saw how she fixed your hair!" Jihyo argued back. "I thought you don't like engineering students?" she teased. 

 

 

And Mina can't help but to smile as she looked at the almost empty hallway. Still imagining Chaeyoung walking there, flashback of how she fixed her hair st arted to pour on her mind. That made Mina feel more giddy as her friends watch her gets delusional. 

 

 

"Yeah, I don't like them" she shrugged. 

 

 

"But I guess, Chaeyoung is an exception"