Chapter 4

FAN (A BEAUTIFUL DREAM COLLECTION: PART 1)

 

Patricia paced back and forth, not sure what happened.  How did I manage to do this?  I’m just one girl and he’s…he’s stronger than me!  Patricia looked over at him.  His eyes were still closed and his head was still dropped down.  This was beginning to scare her.  Did he suffocate?  Patricia walked over and hesitantly poked his head, hoping for a response.

“Ugh…”

He’s still alive!!!  Patricia rejoiced.  Then she stopped.  What have I done?!  I’ve just kidnapped him and I’m happy?  Ugh!  What’s wrong with me?!  Patricia wasn’t sure what she was going to do now.  She went through her possibilities.

“I could sneak him back into the hotel and act like I found him passed out.  Wait. That would be weird.  I could take him home with me!  No, that won’t work either.  Mom and dad won’t let me get married yet…even though he and I are destined to be together.”

Patricia kept on going on, not sure what to do.  How did I convince myself that this is the best way to get his attention and have him fall in love with me?!  This is more likely to send me to jail!!

Yoseob woke up, his eyes having to adjust to the big lights.  He looked around.  Where am I?  He saw someone, walking back and forth, saying things that he didn’t quite understand.  “Annyeonghaseyo?”

Patricia froze.  He’s awake!  Hesitantly, she looked over at him.  She sighed.  He’s so cute!  Yoseob said, trying again, “Annyeonghaseyo?”  He’s talking to me!  Don’t just stand there, Patricia!  Respond!  “Annyeonghaseyo!”  Patricia stepped into the light, her smile wide.

Yoseob’s eyes widened.

You!  I know who you are!  You’re that creepy girl that keeps following me!  I see you everywhere!  What have you done to me?!”

Patricia stared at him, confused.  She didn’t get a thing that he just said.  Oh crap!  I don’t speak Korean!  AHHH!!!

“Ottok’ke ch nae sye yo?”  Yoseob stared at her, confused.  She doesn’t sound Korean.

“I don’t want to tell you how I am!  I want to know where I am, who the hell you are, and what the I am doing in this place?!”

This is harder than what Patricia thought.  Patricia quickly took out a piece of paper and scanned it.

“Chonun hangukmalul mot hamnida.”

 It took Yoseob a minute or two to get what she was saying.

“You don’t speak Korean?”  Patricia cocked her head to the side.

“Hangugohaljulaseyo?”  Yoseob raised an eyebrow.  What the hell did she just say? Patricia said, slower,

“Hangugohaljulaseyo?”  He understood it the second time.

“Only little.”  Patricia rejoiced.  Finally two words that she understood.

“Thank god!  I’m so sorry!  But I don’t know what happened!  One minute I was outside the next thing I knew, I kidnapped you!  I don’t know what to do and I’m panicking and I don’t know if you understand a word I’m saying and…”

Patricia kept going on and on while Yoseob just stared at her.  He didn’t know a single thing she was saying. 

“Can you please speak in a language I know?”

 Patricia stopped talking immediately.  “Huh?”

Yoseob groaned.  I don’t know what the hell this girl is saying and she doesn’t understand what I’m saying either.  How am I going to get back?  Yoseob took a deep breath.

“You, why am I here?”  Five words I understand!

Patricia took a deep breath.  “I kidnapped you on an accident.”

Yoseob’s expression turned into a confused look.  “Damn it!”

Patricia sat down on the ground, scratching her head.  How am I supposed to communicate with him?!  Patricia’s expression changed.

“Are you okay?  I mean, I should be angry that you kidnapped me and all, but you seem sad.  Are you okay?  Do I need to sing?  I appreciate your enthusiasm at our concerts and although a bit creeped out by you stalking me everywhere, but I appreciate it.  Are you okay?  Girl?  Hello?”

Patricia rubbed her temples.  Patricia said, annoyed at her lack of Korean, “I don’t understand what you’re saying!  I’m not Korean!  I’m from America!  I’m from North Carolina!  I’m not Korean!  I’m Hmong!  I don’t know what you’re saying!  I don’t understand Korean!!!”

Patricia looked up and stared into Yoseob’s eyes.  Patricia sighed deeply and looked at her piece of paper.

Patricia held up the paper to Yoseob and pointed to something.  Yoseob squinted and read it.  “Chonun hangingmal chalmotaeyo.”  He looked at Patricia.

Patricia sighed and said the one thing that she could actually say in Korean, “Mianhamnida.”