2Min POV: Ch. 22

A Prince in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho

 

When I hear our cell door open, I immediately stand up and look out into the corridor. The guards have already brought us our water and bread for the day. I will tell him today. But my excitement is quickly curbed when I don't see Taemin as I expected, but once again the guard accompanied by his cronies.

 

"Double breakfast? You're spoiling us." I hear Jonghyun next to me. The guards laugh, but not because of his stupid remark. Their grins don't bode well.

"Turn around, hands behind your back." They instruct us. Will today be the day?

"What does the prince say about this?" I wish Jonghyun would just shut up. Surely no one knows that Taemin was trying to get us out. He could put him in a lot of danger if he reveals that.

"The prince?" the guard tying Jonghyun's hands says with amusement.

"He'll be pleased."

"The king has a special surprise for him." Says the guard behind me over to Jonghyun.

 

Our cell doors open with a loud creak. But before I can even turn around, absolute blackness envelops me. It's hard to breathe down here as it is. With the sack over my head, I feel like I'm suffocating.

 

"I'm warning you guys, you're going to regret this." Jonghyun sounds unconcerned. I think it's nice that he has so much faith in Taemin. But above the prince is the king, and he will surely have the last word. And no matter how we spin it, at the end of the day, we kidnapped his son. He will never forgive us for that.

 

 

Taemin

 

My thin turtleneck is too tight. I can hardly breathe. The silk that covers me constricts me. No one among the people knows that I had disappeared. The search for me has been conducted with the utmost secrecy. The people do not know why we are celebrating today.

I learnt from Kibum that most people think that the king wants to announce my reign from today.

 

People are expecting a speech from me. Kibum has written it, Father and his advisors have reviewed and approved it. This is my first speech, and perhaps it will be my last. Because what he read, I threw away immediately after reviewing it.

 

I am willing to sacrifice anything to free my friends. And if it's my royal title, then I'll have to put up with it. It was never my intention to disappoint Father. But if I expect my men to do the right thing when everything is at stake for them, I can't back out of it myself. Even Siwon risked his reputation, his high position to do the right thing.

 

"Are you sure we're going to do it today?" Kibum looks me anxiously in the eye.

"Siwon is not back from his trip yet." He tells me again. Without Siwon, I don't know if I will be taken seriously. I can only hope he didn't come too late. But my mind is made up.

"I am ready. I don't want them in the dungeon for one more day." I answer him. His gaze sweeps me from top to bottom.

 

Mr. Park has really done a good job. My robe looks majestic. It's decorated with lace and my shirt is elegantly trimmed with little ruffles.

"At least you look good." He sighs and we both have to laugh. Neither of us can guess how the day will turn out for me today. But no matter what, the conversation with Hyukjae has given me clarity.

Kibum gives me a last determined nod as we set off.

 

A hand grips my wrist roughly and drags me back. Shindong's eyes are wild and stare angrily at me.

"Don't forget our deal!" he hoists quietly but not without a biting tone. The guards accompanying Kibum and me look at each other irresolutely as to whether they should intervene. They overheard when I asked father to betroth us. Kibum is also visibly uncomfortable with the situation. He knows that I detest Shindong. More so than before since my conversation with Hyukjae.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter