Taemin POV: Ch. 17

A Prince in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin

 

Father greets Shindong like an old friend. It all seems so surreal. My breathing is uncontrolled and my heart is racing with anger. He dares to come here after what he tried to do to me?

 

"Now Shindong. I will grant your every wish, for helping to arrest my son's kidnappers. No matter how much land you want, no acre is too big, no sum too much." Father's words are full of gratitude. I know he wants to thank him for what he believes Shindong has done. Father is so generous. But I cannot keep up this charade.

"Father!" But Shindong answers my father at the same moment, so Father turns back to him.

"I would like a word with the prince." Says Shindong kindly, but in a firm voice.

"Is that your wish?" father asks him, confused, and I don't know what to make of it either.

"No, it is not my wish. But I know the prince has been through a lot and I want to see how he is doing." What an actor. You'd think he was serious. But behind that innocent smile is a cruel monster capable of things I can't even talk about.

"Of course, of course." Nods Father in understanding.

"I'm sure you want to thank him personally too." Says he to me now, giving me such a sweet and happy smile that it tears my heart.

 

I need to tell father the truth. I just need to catch him in a quiet minute where we are alone. I'm sure he would understand. Even if the guards and troops will never know the reason why Minho and the others were released.

But when the time comes, will the people question Father and his rulership? Would they not demand answers?

 

I postpone my thoughts until later. I try to calm myself. Even though Shindong and I will have a private conversation, nothing can happen to me. I am here at our court, in my own home. He wouldn't dare hurt me here...would he? 

 

 

I try to walk upright and with dignity next to Shindong, even though I am fuming inside. I never thought that he and I would walk together, side by side in our garden. Summer has made all the beautiful colours bloom.

 

"I want you to marry me." Abruptly I stop. Bewilderment covers my face.

"What...Father will never allow that." I hiss at him quietly and angrily. How can he ask this of me? Is this what he wants Father to do? I know father said he would give him anything but that would be taking it too far.

"You will hang as soon as Father knows what you have done to me!" But Shindong shows little enthusiasm for my words. Now that I look at him properly, I can see some more bruises on his face.

"If you deny, your friends will die." He tries to threaten me. I just laugh contemptuously. What kind of game is he trying to play with me? I am the prince, my father is the king. I will have the last word.

"I will stop this. Nothing will happen to them." I affirm to him.

 

Shindong plucks a rose from our bushes. The red reminds me of the blood that flowed down him and I have to swallow to keep the nausea from coming back up. He smells it and twirls it in his fingers.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter