Nine

House of Dreams

  Minho was doing his best to be polite to his hosts, but he was getting anxious despite the soothing chamomile tea Donghae had brewed. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Hyukjae or his husband, and in fact wouldn’t mind making friends with the older couple, especially since the animals seemed to like at least the vet as well. He just had no idea when Baekhyun, who he’d nearly forgotten was supposed to meet him, was going to get to the house so he could get his keys, and he was worried about Jinki and Kibum being by themselves in a cage with the dryer blowing on them. He was fairly certain that kind of thing should be supervised, for risk of fire but more importantly, what if either of them got burned?

  “Yo! Anybody up here?” A friendly voice could be heard from the stairwell, before a head, then the rest of a short, friendly-looking man came through the opening in the floor. That would have been interesting enough, but he had Jinki on his head and Kibum, who was looking drier but still unkempt in his arms, until they saw Minho. Then the fox lightly leapt to the floor and the little bird flapped his wings until he glided to the fox’s back and must have latched on to his fur incredibly tightly to not be dislodged as Kibum trotted over, only to jump into Minho’s lap and curl up as though he’d always belonged there.

  “Hello you two. Are you all dry now?”

  Kibum just closed his eyes, but Jinki started chirping enthusiastically as though he was agreeing with Minho’s question.

  “Sass Queen is probably still a little damp, and he wouldn’t let me near him with a brush, but they looked so lonely in the cage I thought I’d better take them with me. So Stranger, you wouldn’t happen to be Choi Minho, would you?”

  “Yes, but who are you?”

  “Oh, sorry. I’m Byun Baekhyun. You know, the guy you bought the cottage from. I was on the way out to it to meet you, but I saw your bike and trailer and took a chance. I didn’t know you had pets though. How’d you get them all the way from the city?”

  Minho was starting to get a little weirded out with all the coincidences that seemed to have happened since he stopped at that rest area, not that he regretted having to stop. Goodness knows what would’ve happened to the pair in his lap, and he was glad they didn’t have to find out. However, that didn’t mean that he liked Baekhyun talking about them as though they were only animals when they’d showed far more intelligence than he’d thought was usual, well at least before he met them. “Kibum and Jinki aren’t my pets, they’re my friends. I met them looking mostly dead when I was at that rest area outside of town. One good bath and turns out they weren’t injured after all, just skinny and kind of weak. So, they’re welcome to stay with me as long as they need. They rode in the cooler on the way to here, but if it’s necessary I’ll order one of those doggie motorcycle seats and a pair of doggles for Kibum since I don’t think fox seats are a thing. Jinki is small enough I can probably wrap him in something to protect him and either tuck him in my jacket or maybe make a space in Kibum’s seat so he won’t get blown out.”

  “A seat would be a very good idea” Hyukjae spoke up, approval in his voice. He then turned to Baekhyun.

  “Baek, you know where the mugs are. Come have some tea while I show Minho how to brush out Kibum so he doesn’t hurt him, then you can take him out to the cottage. Will he need groceries right away?”

  “Nope. Went ahead and stocked some basics yesterday” Baekhyun answered, already rummaging through a cupboard to pull out a black mug that had “Will Dom for Food” scrawled on it in white letters.

  “Do you have to use that thing every time you’re here?” Donghae wrinkled his nose in distaste, even as he brought another chair, then set up a small folding table that Hyukjae, who had pulled grooming tools seemingly out of nowhere, motioned Minho to bring Kibum to.

  “It was a gift and it would be rude not to. Your brother had that customized for me for being such an excellent therapist.”

  “Then take it home or leave it at Chullie and Jungsoo’s.”

  “And miss teasing you? Never!”

  Minho was only half-registering the conversation between Donghae and Baekhyun. His attention was focused on Hyukjae and Kibum, who he would’ve sworn rolled his eyes at the bickering. The little fox had stretched out on his side and seemed to be enjoying all the fuss made over his coat as the vet showed Minho how to deal with mats, dead hair, and basically just helping Kibum stay as gorgeous as possible.

  “It’s a huge job right now, but if he gets regular brushings and the occasional bath it’ll be easier. Regular food and not having to sleep outside will help too. You are planning on letting them into the house, right? If not, they’re welcome to stay here.”

  Minho rolled his eyes. “No, I’m planning on skinning Kibum and turning him into a hat. What a question! Of course they’ll be allowed in the house. I’m just wondering about them needing or wanting to go outside.”

  “Don’t worry about that” Baekhyun spoke up, apparently having finished riling up Donghae, who was now rummaging in the depths of the refrigerator. “There’s a doggie door Kibum can use for whatever reason.”

  “And where he goes, Jinki follows so hopefully it won’t be an issue” Hyukjae concluded, before addressing Kibum, who now appeared to be following the conversation. “That is, if that is an acceptable solution to the problem? If so, would your highness please roll over so we can see how well Minho listened and learned by having him work on your other side?”

  The man in question held his breath from nervousness as he waited for the verdict, only to exhale loudly in relief as Kibum rolled over, though with a “if I must peasant” look on his face, much to the apparent amusement of Jinki, who was perched on Minho’s shoulder out of the way and was now trilling and flapping his wings wildly, only to slip off his perch with a startled cheep. Thankfully, the man’s reflexes were sharper than most and he was able to catch the bird before he got hurt, since he must have been too weak to actually fly.

  “There, I got you. How about we put you on the table while I work so it doesn’t happen again? I’ll have to start wearing more textured shirts you can sink your claws into so there’s less of a chance of accidents, hmm?”

  Jinki chirped in agreement, so Minho settled him on the table and with an apology to Kibum for having never done this before started working on the little fox’s coat, doing his best to both copy Hyukjae’s actions and follow what the vet had said. He was terrified and very slow out of concern, but outside of one or two small yips and a short, though very cute warning growl when the detangling comb he was using hit hidden mats it went better than he expected. Hyukjae even lightly clapped him on the back and said he was a good student after he checked his work, and Jinki chirped and flapped his wings after hopping over to inspect his friend’s coat for himself. But, the best praise he got was from Kibum himself, in the form of a very cold, wet nose pressed against his hand. It was the first time the fox had initiated any real physical contact, and it made him that maybe Kibum was starting to trust him, at least a little.

  “Elders Kibum! I think there’s enough hair here to stuff a couch cushion!” Donghae’s loud exclamation startled Minho, who hadn’t realized the older man was done in the fridge and had wandered over.

  “But, you have to admit the Sass Queen looks much better without all the twigs and mats” Baekhyun added.

  “Okay, okay. Baek, why don’t you and Donghae head downstairs so he can start bagging up the stuff for these two. I have a couple of things to tell Minho about before they leave. And Hae my love, grab one of our throw blankets, would you? I don’t know what that cooler is lined in, but I doubt a bit of extra padding would hurt, especially with as bumpy as that road to the cottage is.”

  “Sure Hyukkie!” Donghae kissed his husband’s temple before bouncing off, only to return a minute later with a thick, fluffy knitted throw. He grabbed, something off the counter as well and with Baekhyun following, headed downstairs.

  Minho was worried now. Had he done something wrong on accident and Hyukjae was going to ream him out but didn’t want witnesses? Was he some kind of ert or serial killer? The others, including Kibum and Jinki seemed to trust him though. Donghae certainly loved his husband if their interactions were anything to go by. Maybe he wanted to warn him about Baekhyun?

  “Don’t look so scared Minho. I just didn’t want to get scolded by, certain people for telling you this, and I love him more than life itself, but Hae can’t keep his mouth shut if he knows something. I don’t know everything, but Kibum and Jinki aren’t exactly what they seem to be, and they need your help. I wish I could tell you how exactly you can help them both, but I’m not sure anyone knows that, not even…” Hyukjae trailed off, clearly uncomfortable about something and apparently at war with himself.

  “What, are you trying to tell me they’re princes like in the faerie tales and they’re under a spell and need a kiss from their true loves?”

  Minho had only been joking to try and help lighten the suddenly heavy atmosphere, but Hyukjae actually seemed to consider it a moment.

  “Not exactly, but that’s a good way of thinking about it. You’ve had to have noticed how unusually intelligent they are, right? I assure you, foxes and birds are not usually friends, nor do they act the way these two often do. I don’t expect you to believe me, but all I’m asking is for you to keep an open mind, and remember what I’ve said. Now, I suppose you’d best go downstairs since I’m sure you don’t want to ride in the dark on a very narrow, unfamiliar dirt road, towing a trailer and passengers. Baekhyun may be an at times, but he can’t help it and you can trust him I promise. I’ve got to clean all this up before I go check on my two other patients and feed them for the night. It’s been a pleasure meeting you Choi Minho, and I’m sure we’ll see each other again soon.”

  Minho had no idea what to think or how to respond to Hyukjae’s last little speech, so he just gathered Kibum into his arms after asking the fox if he wanted to walk or be carried, and with Jinki back on his shoulder headed downstairs, still slightly confused.