Thirteen

House of Dreams

  Jinki was positively gleeful. Had he still been a bird he probably would’ve been hopping around, flapping his wings and trilling merrily. As it was he still wanted to do that, but forced himself to stay calm. Minho might have thought this was just a simple dream, but here in the House’s domain dreams were the actual reality.

  “We don’t actually know how you can help. We were just told you would be able to” Kibum was explaining as Jinki actually started paying attention to what his mate was saying, a distressed look in his Beloved’s foxlike eyes. It was faint and he doubted Minho noticed, but he knew his mate better than anyone. They had agreed to try and ease Minho into the whole “supernatural thing” but was obviously finding it difficult to break it down without sounding like a condescending . At least Kibum was trying to stay civil and he always was more reasonable and far kinder as his human (or real) self, but it took him a while to get used to not being an animal.

  “Who told you I could help?” Minho still sounded skeptical, but also curious as though he’d decided to play along for now til he found out otherwise.

  “We, don’t like to say His name. He’s a minor god who likes to show up when His name is mentioned, kind of like Beetlejuice or Voldemort, but without the killing or being disgusting.”

  “And now the gods are real? This dream just gets weirder and weirder.”

  “Gods exist where people dwell. The spirits exist where people do not. Demons exist where they are and are not wanted. The others exist where they will not die, and where they may die. This is the choice of all. Do not always believe what your eyes may see and your ears may hear and what you know to be the truth young Choi Minho, and do not always disbelieve what you cannot see or hear or what seems to be too fantastic to be the truth. You must make your choices carefully and accept the consequences of those choices. The realms of the world are varied and wonderful, and terrible, and not for all to know until the proper time because that is a choice. You have been protected from this knowledge until the time came for you to know it, because that was the choice that was made. You see before you two beings under a terrible curse because of a terrible choice. They will never know true peace until they find what is missing in their lives. You young Choi Minho now have a choice of your own. Will you help these two innocent beings, punished cruelly for choosing to stay true, learn about the things you were taught were false or never learned about at all, to the most beautiful reward of all? Or will you choose to forget, waking up in an ordinary house to an ordinary life in a small village with neighbors who are exactly what they seem to be, your pet fox and bird at your side? They cannot stay the way they are for much longer. If you choose to forget, I will make the choice to have their self-awareness destroyed and they will become what they seem to be before Kibum becomes dangerous to himself or others. Jinki would die of loneliness without his mate so it would be kinder to make him simply a bird, while Kibum would be neutered and given artificial hormones so he would no longer present as female, but not so many the vixens would think he could give one of them kits. He would have no recollection of either his gumiho or incubus heritages and would instead give over to long naps in the sun or on your lap, chasing mice outside in the garden, stealing your meat when you weren’t looking, and everything else ordinary foxes do. They wouldn’t even have their current intelligence so you’d have to housebreak them both and treat them as ordinary animals. So young Choi Minho, what is your choice?”

  “Who are you?” Jinki was surprised it wasn’t Minho asking the question of the voice that seemed to be both everywhere and nowhere at the same time since he was the one who had been addressed, but it was Kibum, fire in his eyes and challenge in his stance. Well it made sense. Their very existences, even as they knew them now were being threatened. Better to be a fox and bird that at least knew who they really were, than to be transformed completely into something they were not.

  “Use that intelligence you may soon lose forever and work it out for yourself Kim Kibum. I do not answer questions, but ask them and expect those I ask to use their brains to come up with the answers.”

  “It can’t be any of the others. Even He doesn’t speak in semi-riddles and the voice doesn’t have their speech pattern.” Kibum was muttering to himself as he worked out the answer to his question, while Minho stood deep in thought, though he was silent so Jinki had no idea if he was deciding their fate or still thought he was losing his mind. He was pretty sure he already knew who it was that had been talking to them, but it was his mate’s question, not his own so it was not his place to answer. So he wandered a little to give them the space to think, the ball of string that had paused when they did, rolling next to him as though it was a well-trained puppy.

  “You are far wiser and more intelligent than you let on to others Lee Jinki” the voice whispered in his ear. “I am indeed the House of Dreams. But your mate is too and soon he’ll come to the same conclusion. It is usually best to let others discover the answers for themselves. That is how they learn and grow.

  Choi Minho on the other hand, even I don’t know what he’ll ultimately decide. Fully human with no background or faith in the supernatural, his mind is too foreign. I’d like to provide reassurance he’ll make the right decision, but dreams do not lie. I wish I didn’t have to have you two become animals if he decides against helping, but Kibum will soon start to destroy himself, which will destroy you as well. Foxes eat birds when they can catch them, and you love him too much to stay away. He will succumb to his base instincts, then realize too late what he’s done.”

  “He, that is Taemin said he was the one that could help” Jinki was nearly desperate in his thoughts that he somehow knew the House would hear, only to feel a slight soothing touch to his mind.

  “There is that. The Brat is seldom wrong about such things, so perhaps you have managed to offer yourself the hope I couldn’t.”

  “And if Minho proves everyone wrong, then Kibum and I will go to Ryeowook and ask to be destroyed cleanly. As the executioner he no doubt knows how to do so, even when the subjects are cursed. We wouldn’t be able to live as animals even as well-kept pets when even now we’ve relied on our intelligence, not instincts. I know my mate. He would say the exact same thing.”

  “Of course he would Youngling” Jinki was startled out of his mostly silent conversation with the House by a well-known voice. He turned around to see Ryeowook himself as he really was, red-tinged soulless eyes that still held many emotions once someone knew how to read him, fangs flashing as he smiled, short horns well-polished as were the hoofs at the end of his goat legs, claws neatly filed as always. He was clad in his favorite red velvet loincloth, and Jinki couldn’t have been more relieved to see his and Kibum’s friend. It wasn’t that he thought Wookie would magically solve all their problems, but as disturbing as he looked when he wasn’t passing as human he had a way of inducing calm while others worked things out, which apparently he’d only developed as his grandson’s own abilities grew.

  “Teukie and the Little One are coming as well in case of worst-case scenario, but they have to make sure Jungsoo and Hyukjae are well out, even more so than when they visit the demon realms. They’re winged so it’s not like it’ll take them long to catch up, especially when they spot the tail of the string and follow it. Apparently this particular dimension of the House of Dreams is openly hostile to incubi’ bondlings, but not unbonded humans or the incubi themselves. Yunho showed up shortly after Taemin’s frantic call about feeling as though something might go very wrong to warn them. He’s softening in his old age. Another two-three hundred years and he might be decent.”

  “You mean, in case Minho decides not to help after all and He ends up being wrong for once.” It wasn’t a question. Jinki knew it as well as he knew the color of Kibum’s eyes and how all soft and sleepy and adorable he was after they made love properly.

  “Taemin Lee Jinki. He’s only a minor, harmless god, not the God of Destruction or something. Sure, losing things is inconvenient but they always turn up eventually.” The House now had a scolding tone to its voice, and all he could do is nod.

  “I don’t truly believe Taemin could be so wrong, but maybe it’s best to be prepared” Jinki agreed out loud, only to nearly get knocked over by his excited mate pouncing him for a hug.

  “Minho still thinks he’s nuttier than your average fruitcake, but he’s agreed to help properly!” Kibum was nearly shouting, now in Jinki’s arms with his arms around his neck and legs around his waist.

  “What a relief! What about you Beloved? Did you work out who the voice was yet?” Jinki asked, shifting Kibum slightly so he was in a more comfortable position.

  “The House of Dreams itself. It has to be. Nothing else made sense since the only other thing with us was the ball, and I’m pretty sure we would’ve noticed if the voice had come from there.”

  The ball of string rolled back and forth a little in apparent agreement, only to what could only be described as cower behind Jinki as two winged forms joined the group, landing with a slightly thud and loud rustle as they folded their wings. Leeteuk looked almost exactly like Jungsoo, current honey-brown hair (they were addicted to dyeing it) and all, but he had large, white feathered wings that almost resembled a feather cloak when folded. Eunhyuk was a bit more striking than his great-great grandfather, with glowing blonde hair (Hyukjae’s was black), short curved horns, and except for his face and head but including his own, somewhat smaller wings, was almost completely covered in small, iridescent gold scales that turned nearly rose gold in the right light.

  “This is the House of Dreams? I was expecting, something.” Eunhyuk sounded disappointed.

  “They’re dreams Little One. You don’t really believe every dream looks the same, do you?” Leeteuk asked.

  “Well, no, but I was hoping to see more than an empty plain.”

  “There’s our Ball of String. It’s a guide of some sort I think, but I’m not sure if we’ve figured out how to use it correctly yet” Jinki offered, carefully setting Kibum on his feet and squatting down next to the still scared-seeming ball. “It’s okay Ball, they’re friends I promise.”

  “Wait a moment, is this the Plain of Monsters or something?” Minho asked from behind the rest. Jinki had nearly forgotten the human wasn’t part of the group, and hadn’t met the demons, at least in their real form in Wookie’s case, before.

  “Wrong species Choi Minho” the House said in amusement, once again seeming everywhere and nowhere at once.

  “Eunhyuk and I are incubi Minho” Leeteuk explained as he stepped forward. “We’re also bonded to Jungsoo and Hyukjae respectively. You’re not blind so you must notice the similarities. We just show our demon heritage as well as our bond with our humans. It’s different from a mating bond, which I know you’ve heard of tonight. We literally share the same bodies with our bondlings. When I’m in charge of our body for example, I look like this. When Jungsoo is in charge, well you saw him earlier. He’s fully human.”

  Eunhyuk joined his great-great grandfather, and tipped his head so his mating mark with Donghae could be seen clearly. “And when I’m in charge, Donghae is mated. When Hyuk is in charge, Hae is married. It’s not as weird as it sounds, and my mate/my bondling’s husband is a god in bed and loves us both so completely. It’s honestly the best scenario any incubus could ask for.”

  The two incubi stepped back, then Wookie took their place. “I know you’ve already met me Minho, but that was in my human guise since all this” he gestured to himself “tends to be a bit much at first sight. I’m multi-natured which is why I look like a random assortment of parts, but I promise I wish you no harm. You’ll find out anyway so I might as well tell you now, I do eat humans but only condemned prisoners, and I would never dream of trying to sneak any ‘long pork’ into any meals I make for others. If I had another choice I’d most likely take it, but that unfortunately is just part of my natures.”

  Jinki was surprised when Minho burst out, not in disgust or disbelief but into loud laughter, throwing himself so far back he ended up on the ground, still cracking up. He walked over to the younger man and waited for him to pause for breath before asking, “Minho, are you okay?”

  “No Jinki, I really have gone around the bend. Lock me up in the rubber room and throw away the key if I’m dreaming stuff like killer demons in the form of a tiny cook with a balance disorder. I thought the talking animals were bad enough, but this? Maybe Taemin was right and I should’ve stayed in civilization. Less than twenty-four hours and I’m certifiable.”

  “That’s it Kit. I have enough of this disbelief bull. We’ve been trying to be patient and ease you in gently since it’s all brand-new to you, but I’m done. You don’t want to believe we’re real, then fine. I’ll give you something you can believe in and maybe you’ll stop this nonsense!” Jinki had seen his mate angry countless times over the years, but not like this. If his Beloved was still in fox form he would’ve been absolutely crackling with static electricity as he stalked over and leapt. Minho had just enough time to instinctively put his hands over his face to protect it before crying out in pain as Kibum bit down into his wrist, hard.

  “There. Try to disprove that Kit” Kibum said smugly, standing back and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “Be grateful I didn’t break skin, but try denying the bruise when you wake up. Now, does anyone have any idea where we should be going from here? Do we continue to follow the ball, or is there something else we should be figuring out? Anybody? House, I assume you will continue to have us figure things out on our own.”

  “Don’t assume things Kim Kibum. It makes an of u and me. However, in this instance you happen to be correct. I’m here to help you facilitate your own solutions, not solve your problems for you. Kim Ryeowook, Lee Eunhyuk, Park Leeteuk, you’ve made your point and are free to return. Though I suggest you three and Kim Yesung should probably retain your demonic forms until the stubborn child realizes what he’s been told is all true.”

  “As you wish House. Kibum, Jinki, Minho, we’ll see you three in the morning or whenever you wake up. Come on Wookie, it’ll be faster if the Little One and I carry you.” Leeteuk and Eunhyuk made a chair with their arms, and Ryeowook gingerly sat down.

  “Just don’t drop me please.”

  “Relax, we do this with Hae all the time. He loves it.”

  “Yes, but your mate has the sheer joy of life attributed to six-year-olds.”

  “I didn’t take you for a mouse Grandpa. I thought you had cat demon.”

  “Squeak squeak”

  Eunhyuk and Leeteuk were laughing as they started flapping their wings. Once they were airborne and only a few feet off the ground, they turned to follow the string back the way they had come and in less than a minute they were gone.

  Now that the three demons were no longer around, the ball of string seemed absolutely delighted. He nudged Jinki’s foot then started rolling again, and a little faster and far more joyfully than before.

  “I guess we follow Ball until something else happens or we wake up.”

  “We don’t have another plan, so might as well. We’ll learn nothing just standing still.”

  “I can’t believe some madman in my dream bit me!”

  With Jinki in the lead and Minho straggling behind, until Kibum finally clamped one hand around his undamaged wrist and dragged him along, the three of them followed Ball for Jinki couldn’t even estimate how long. Time didn’t seem to exist in the grey plain so it could have been minutes or days. They weren’t thirsty, didn’t get hungry or bored or tired, and even quit talking altogether. Their only purpose seemed to be to follow Ball that never grew smaller no matter how much it unraveled.

  Jinki was attempting the impossibility of calculating how far they might have walked when two things finally appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. One was a tiny, crystal clear brook that made no noise as it trickled merrily through the grey plain. The other was a door that wasn’t attached to anything, sitting just beyond the brook as though it had always been there. Ball waited, somehow expectant despite being an object, but the brook and door were the same way. The three were waiting for the three of them. They only had to figure out what they needed to do.

  “Is there one for each of us, or a group of three for a group of three?” Kibum came up to stand next to Jinki, their hands automatically entwining.

  “You know, I think I’ve read these books before. Well, I don’t remember a brook, but when I was younger and read a lot of fiction. There was a book where at the end the main character was on an endless plain like we’ve been, and actually had a magic ball of string. The object was for him to capture the ruler of the world he was in and make a deal so he, his girlfriend, and their friend could escape. I’ve been trying to figure out if there was any connection to this experience. The other book involved not just one, but three doors spread out on a beach that opened to different years in Earth’s history. The main character in that was to draw a companion from each of those years. One was a junkie and drug mule who had his brother killed by their dealer but patched up the main character after he’d lost several fingers and got an infection from these mutant lobster things, one was a civil rights activist who had a split personality and had lost both of her legs by being pushed in front of a train if I remember right. The third he thought was a man who liked to push people in front of moving vehicles, but he was wrong. The true third was a young boy he’d already lost once in the prior book. Both were part of series. Wait, I just thought of another book I read that involved doors. In that case the book wasn’t part of a series, but there were several movies kind of based off it that were. In that book there was a part where in the right moment, one door could become the portal to end up in another part of the world it was set in. Then there was a trilogy my ex-fiancée told me about once that she read as a teenager. In the first one the main character and her friends were trapped in a paper dollhouse that had somehow become real, and everything in that house had come from their imaginations. Each had to face their greatest nightmare to defeat the villain, who honestly was just acting according to his nature and because he was in love with the main character. I have no idea if any of this applies to our current situation or how, but it was odd to me.”

  Stunned that Minho seemed to have done a one-eighty, Jinki looked over at the younger man, who was now pointing at the door.

  “Look! There’s some kind of writing. I’m just enough far away or it’s small enough I can’t read it.” Minho went to step over the brook, only to jerk his foot back and start rubbing it.

  “OUCH! It’s like there’s a brick wall or something.”

  “Maybe we need to figure out an order, or maybe it’s a riddle, or if there is one part for each of us maybe it’s figure out who belongs to what first” Kibum reasoned, checking on Minho’s foot that was a bit red but he claimed didn’t feel broken, just sore.

  “Well, if there is one part for each of us” Jinki puzzled out slowly “then logic would seem that since he knew all the door books and was the first one to spot the writing, then the door would be for Minho. Ball has been acting like my pet since we started so it’s probably mine, so that would leave the brook for Kibum.”

  “Normal foxes like to raise their kits in dens with a backdoor near water. They prefer not to get wet, but can and do swim well. So I guess that computes. This brook isn’t anywhere near big enough though. This is the sort of thing raccoons like to wash their food in, not really much to do with foxes unless it’s for a quick drink. I’m not about to lap anything I know nothing about though. What if it’s like the River Lethe, but in tiny? I don’t think any of us want to forget. Or do they? You never did answer House as far as I know Kit. Are you going to help, or are you going to turn us to normal animals?”

  Minho examined his bite mark. “I want to wait and see. If I still have this when we get back to the real world, I’ll take it as proof this is more than some whacked out dream. If it’s not, then I’ll assume my Jinki and Kibum are just normal, very intelligent animals.”

  When Minho finished speaking, the brook vanished and Ball eagerly rolled onward, stopping at the door.

  “Okay, so the brook was Minho’s, or everything is meant for all of us. I guess the next question is, does Ball stay here or come with us? I’m going to try picking it up and see what happens.”

  Jinki tried scooping up Ball, only to have it roll just out of reach. This led to a chase that only ended when Kibum rolled his eyes and picked Ball up himself. Then it quickly rolled itself up and less than a minute later was inert, like any other ball of string.

  “So I guess the door is mine” Jinki said, only to have Minho shake his head.

  “I don’t think so. You followed Ball, but Kibum picked it up. Kibum knew about water, well at least from a fox’ perspective, but I had to give my answer before it disappeared. I knew all the door stories, but you’ll be the one to open it probably. Maybe it’s about us working in pairs. Not literally, but building off of what each other knows. You’re mates according to the two of you so it should be natural for you, but I hardly know either of you. Thus a simple act for the two of you, but odd, harder ones when I’m involved.”

  Jinki was thoughtful as the three of them took the final few steps to the door, which had no great words of wisdom or even oddball references. Instead it was a simple riddle, “when is zero greater than two, two greater than five, five greater than zero?” He’d heard this one since his school days so just snorted.

  “Rock smashes scissors, scissors cut paper, paper wraps rock. The answer is rock, scissors, paper.”

  Nothing happened. Jinki tried again, this time making each gesture as he spoke, and the door cracked open, only to release a blinding flash.

  “, what have I done?”