Eleven

House of Dreams

Kibum had to control himself, when he really wanted to barrel past Minho as though he were a common dog, rather than a cursed, intelligent, supernatural creature, just to have the first glance at what might be his and Jinki’s salvation when the right really belonged to the human, even if he currently had no idea about anything other than he was moving into his new cottage. The excitement was just getting to him now that they were about to set foot into the House of Dreams, which was rumored to be able to grant true dreams, once the dreamer fully understood what their true dream actually was. There was another rumor, though not one he actually put much stock in, that Ryeowook had actually been the Dream Master at one point in his long, checkered history. Nobody, not even his keeper Leeteuk or his lovers Kyuhyun, and Yesung and his bondling Jongwoon had ever had the balls to ask the little demon, no doubt mostly to either the stories of what had happened after his second mate died, or the fact he was known as the executioner among the supernatural communities, or possibly, just possibly because of his diet consisting strictly of raw flesh, specifically just-killed human scum. He used to hunt on his own while he was insane and was almost executed himself before Leeteuk took responsibility for him and being able to find himself a trio of understanding lovers to help keep him grounded. Now he was exceedingly charming and polite, and had been absolutely delighted to discover his long-lost grandson who had been presumed dead as the other younglings in his batch had been murdered by demon hunters the first time they were taken to the human realm. Eunhyuk managed to escape, bonded with a young street kid and parttime rent boy named Hyukjae, only to spend approximately fifteen years in hell, under the thumb of an abusive who didn’t believe incubi were anything more than living dolls, or realized they were actually two beings in one body. Eventually Eunhyuk managed to escape after he’d been sold to someone else, and after nearly getting hit by Donghae’s stepbrother Heechul while they were driving to their new home, the stunted, sick, injured bondlings were rescued by the brothers at Hae’s insistence and brought to Feed Your Demons to be treated. Eventually the Hyuks fell in love with Donghae and vice versa, and thanks to Eunhyuk’s other, grandfather Yunho discovered the young incubus was Wookie’s grandson, and Leeteuk’s great-great grandson, though he just called Teuk Great-Grandpa.

  It was Kibum and Jinki’s hope, rather than belief that being around the same mix of humans and demons who had been involved with such a miracle, coupled with the House of Dreams, their own status as supernatural beings (Kibum of course was half incubus/half gumiho while Jinki was a faerie) and an ordinary, though very kind human recommended by a minor god (He was Lee Taemin, god of modern dance forms and losing everything He touches but He still counted) might just be enough to break their curse and allow them to rest from their constant travels and just live normal lives. Everyone’s least favorite High Demon Elder Yunho had actually managed to be persuaded to do some research for the couple, and to the best of his and Ryeowook’s interpretation of the ancient text he’d found and brought to show everyone this was the only possible solution and there was no guarantee. That’s why it was a hope.

  “Kibum? You okay? I thought you were right behind us” Minho’s gentle voice and Jinki’s worried cheeping finally broke through the fox’ thoughts and he shook his head before finally cautiously entering the unassuming cottage and blinked in surprise. Rather than the insane wizard’s lair or dust-covered disaster he was expecting, the inside of the House of Dreams was as ordinary looking as the outside. Hand-hewn polished wood plank floor, comfortably worn, overstuffed furniture that wouldn’t look out of place in any average bachelor’s den, beautiful blue walls, plenty of windows, even a fireplace. The whole thing was essentially all one room, though he noticed three other doors set in the walls that he guessed led to the bathroom, maybe a storage closet or pantry, and probably the backyard. The different areas (living, sleeping, kitchen) were defined well enough, and though the place was a bit smaller than he thought judging by the outside it was cozy, not claustrophobic. Had he been an actual house pet, Kibum would’ve easily pictured himself curled up in a sunbeam on one of the chairs or maybe the window seat near the queen-sized bed, Jinki snuggled against him. Even as it was, he was tempted to take a nap on something soft though shook his head and made himself stay awake so he knew what was going on.

  You okay Beloved? Jinki asked worriedly through their mental link.

  Just a little tired, and those cushions look so comfortable. Don’t worry Babe, I’ll be fine.

  It’s the House little Bummie Baekhyun broke into the conversation, no doubt because Jungsoo and Ryeowook were “helping” Minho figure out what was already in his fridge and cupboards (read, being nosey). It tends to amplify strong feelings while figuring out the state of its occupants, and you and Jinki went through a lot today so no doubt you’d be tired even without the House helping out. I just realized I forgot to warn you two, and I don’t think Minho has noticed anything odd, at least not yet. Whatever else the brat may be, Taemin does know how to pick them. And quit wincing. He’s not going to strike you down for using his name.

  You risk it. I’m not going to Kibum replied, then asked What in the Elders are those two looking for?

  Wookie and Jungsoo? They wanted to see if the rumors about the House providing what the occupants need or want were true. Grandpa didn’t exactly leave instructions on how it works, but it seems to be different each time. So far, Minho has only been impressed “I” managed to “buy” all his favorite foods and the ones he can actually cook. There’s plenty of meat and nuts and even some fruit, though I suspect Jinki’s more likely to be the one to eat that since Minho did say he wasn’t big on sweet stuff. However long it’s in the House the food will stay fresh. Only if it’s taken out will it act as it normally would.

  Kibum was relieved to hear about the meat. In his real and human forms he preferred a more varied diet, but as long as he was stuck as a fox he was obliged to be a nearly pure carnivore, though he could get away with a bit of fruit. He suspected that no matter how good Wookie’s recently developed line of high-quality animal diets was, he was still going to be sick of it and would at least want a change and have some extra rare people-cooked meat, and a few apple or orange slices. He also knew his mate got tired of literal bird food and would enjoy nuts and berries, though Minho would have a very hard time keeping Jinki out of his plate every time he tried to eat chicken. A bird eating a bird seemed a bit like cannibalism to him, but the love of his life didn’t see it that way since he was no more really a bird than Kibum was a fox.

  Eventually Minho seemed to get tired of looking in cupboards and left the others to it and wandered off to check out everything else. Kibum, irritated he couldn’t use all the small wonders the House seemed willing to provide in its kitchen himself padded after the human, who was still holding Jinki who was now chirping his own commentary about everything, punctuating his points with flaps of his wings, much to the apparent amusement of Minho since the man kept laughing and gently petting Jinki with a finger.

  “I see someone seems to really like it here, and I have to agree. I think we’re going to be just fine. What do you think Kibum? Have you formed an opinion yet, or are you more the wait and see type?”

  Well, I love the kitchen and wish I had hands so I could use it properly. I also approve of all the natural light and soft spots for naps, and the “doggie door” so we don’t have to bother you or try and use the toilet. Falling in is one experience I hope never to repeat. I’m also fairly certain the House won’t let in any unwanted pests, or “suitors.” I really could use a break from running or having to try and defend myself and Jinki. I just wish you could read minds like everyone else so you understood that. Though I do have a question, how the Elders are Teuk and Hyuk reading minds? That was never one of their gifts as far as I recall.

  The Little One grew up Kibum Leeteuk broke into the fox’ thoughts with a note of pride. We knew he was going to be powerful the way he knocked over all his abusers only a few hours after he attained his adult form, but as he’s studied and practiced and matured he’s developed far more abilities than even Yunho could’ve predicted. Apparently just being around him some of his gift for mind reading has rubbed off on me. We knew it was a good chance with it running so deep in Wookie’s demon ancestral lines, but he surprises me more every day, like when he decided to become a vet in case it was needed. Turned out to be pretty handy when it came time to set all this up, did it not?

  You have a point Kibum agreed, then finally nudged the still waiting Minho’s hand with his ice-cold nose, then even though it was a blow to his dignity and pride also it, since he couldn’t think of another way to communicate his approval.

  “I hope that means you like it here too Kibum, since if you want it you two will always have a home with me.”