Four

House of Dreams

Elders! He didn’t warn me this guy was quite that stupid! the tiny feathered creature could sense his mate rolling his eyes, despite currently not having the physical capacity to do so. He knew his beloved was small, but to mistake him for either a cat or a puppy even as blood-covered as they currently both well, well his mate wasn’t wrong in referring to their potential savior as stupid. It also made him wonder if the human realized he was a “bird”, instead of a blood-soaked tennis ball or something, and decided he probably didn’t want to know the answer to that, and set his mind on thinking how to communicate with the man who was holding them, pacing anxiously as he mumbled to himself how to transport them.

  Come on come on, put together you need to get the cooler, and for Elders’ sake use the antibacterial wipes before handling the food or trying to clean us! Disgusting!

  Beloved, when did he have a chance to clean his hands? He wouldn’t have heard you whine had he gone back to his motorcycle, and apparently it was only his bladder that kicked in at the border, not his stomach. Besides, we really can’t look a gift solution in the mouth, even if he’s slower than the newest younglings.

  Younglings? Look how long it took the Feed Your Demons crew to figure out what He and I were, and I’d always heard the executioner was intelligent, if disturbing in his dietary habits. And really, no one could think of a better name for Ryeowook than a knockoff from one of the humans’ vampire series?

  To be fair, even Baekhyun had trouble, and that half-demon is better than the Elders at sniffing out what beings are usually. It’s got to be the curse Beloved. And considering what they wanted to do with Wookie before Teuk stepped up and his lovers got him under control, having a stupid nickname is the least of his worries.

  The two fell “silent” as the man seemed to have a lightbulb moment and jogged over to his motorcycle, keeping the pair tucked close to his chest so they wouldn’t be jarred. He carefully shifted them to one arm and with his other hand managed to unstrap the cooler and grabbed a long strap that was connected to it, fitting it over his head and across his chest before heading back to the least splintery of the picnic tables.

  Well, there’s hope for this human yet.

  All the tiny, feathered creature could do was softly chirp in agreement.