Five

House of Dreams

  Well, at least this stupid strap Taemin attached to this thing is good for something Minho thought, manhandling the cooler onto the least worst of the picnic tables. He gently laid his shirt down next to it, hoping he hadn’t hurt his new companions further while trying to figure out how to transport them. It wasn’t ideal, but if they were hungry at all they could help eat the food, then he’d find something to line the cooler with and they could ride in that. He’d just wedge something under the lid before he strapped it down so it wouldn’t shut tight, so they could breathe but hopefully be protected.

  The first thing he did once Minho opened the cooler was take out the pack of antibacterial wipes Taemin had included and cleaned his hands of blood, and any germs from his original activity. He then took out a couple of water bottles and frowned. He didn’t have any bowls or even a plate for them to drink from, but maybe they could drink from his hand? He decided to try, only to get what he would swear was a scornful look from Puppy as it delicately lapped the thin stream he was pouring. The smaller one he was guessing was some kind of bird seemed to be less picky, making an attempt to sit on his hand and drink once Puppy was finished, only to fall over with a frustrated-sounding chirp.

  After thinking some more, Minho decided to try something. He filled the cap of the water bottle, and with Birdie gently cradled in one hand he held the cap between a finger and his thumb and the tiny creature was able to drink that way, though not without tipping forward a few times.

  Wondering if there was anything in the cooler the two could even eat Minho began to rummage around, only to have Puppy put its paws on the side to knock it over before sinking its teeth into a large package of dried squid.

  “Okay, okay, you can have the squid! Taemin knows I don’t like it anyway so I have no idea why he packed it.”

  Had Minho been paying attention, he would have noticed the others wincing when he mentioned Taemin’s name, but he was busy opening the package and shredding the squid smaller so “Puppy” would have an easier time eating. He then absently munched on a sausage he didn’t think it would be safe to give either of them as he searched through the rest, finally settling on pinching tiny pieces of bread off a sandwich and soaking them, before carefully poking them into “Birdie’s” beak.

  After a little food, the two animals seemed to have regained some of their strength, and Minho relaxed enough to feed himself properly for the first time since the breakup even as Puppy obviously laid claim to anything that had meat in it (even the rest of the sausages which he tried to take away and nearly got nipped for) and Birdie, after his soaked bread and even a few tiny bits of squid and a few false starts managed to hop over to a container of mixed berries with a hopeful chirp. Still, Taemin had packed like he was going to be starving for a week otherwise, so had the egg and cheese sandwiches, cut vegetables, most of the berries, and a bag of shrimp chips Puppy sniffed at, only to look disgusted afterward, though Birdie seemed happy enough to peck at one he dropped.

  “Ug! That’s the most I’ve eaten in months! I’m glad you two were here to help me, or I’d be rolling to Hideaway instead of driving. Okay, one more drink then we’ll get going?” Minho asked his companions. Puppy, who had been basking in the afternoon sun with Birdie between its paws didn’t answer, but the other gave what sounded like a chirp of agreement.

  Between the three of them they finished the water bottles, then after Minho gathered up and tossed the trash (wondering if there would ever be anyone by to empty the garbage can) he gathered up animals and cooler and went back to his bike and unlocked the trailer. Fortunately a pillow and a couple of his winter sweaters he would’ve sworn he put at the bottom when he was packing were right up top, as was part of the handle of his floor duster he’d dismantled to make it fit better. Setting his companions down on the closed part of the trailer, Minho lined the cooler the best he could and gently set them inside. He then used the handle piece as a wedge and promised to get them out as soon as possible before loosely shutting the cooler and strapping it down, making sure there was still a crack for them to breathe. He then locked the trailer back up and climbed back on his bike, grateful that one of the few things Hideaway was said to have was a veterinarian.