Twelve

House of Dreams

  Several hours later than he would’ve preferred them to go, Minho’s unexpected house pes…er guests finally bid him and a sleeping Kibum and Jinki goodnight and left. The fox and bird had to have been exhausted after everything they’d been through and finally gave up trying to be polite after seeming to eat half their body weight in food while Ryeowook shooed everyone out of the kitchen to work his magic, and just curled up in the far corner of the bed, Jinki tucked under Kibum’s chin. The picture they made was so cute he had wanted to take a photo, but decided not to in case the flash woke them accidentally. Instead, he, Jungsoo, and Baekhyun unloaded his trailer after he pulled up closer, and even got most of his things put away he didn’t care if others saw or handled. There were a couple of boxes of personal items however that were no one’s business but his, and maybe a certain fox and bird if they seemed interested.

  Now showered and clad in a pair of pajama pants, Minho went through the pleasant ritual of locking up for the night, checking the door, making sure the screen on the window he was leaving open was securely fastened, shutting off lights, and sighing as he set a wide, shallow, lipped bowl of water on the floor in case Kibum or Jinki got thirsty. As intelligent as they had shown to be so far, the man firmly believed they’d worked out some way for the fox to help the bird get to where he could perch if he couldn’t hop or fly to it, though he went rooting around in the various drawers for something he could put down as a ramp, just in case. He found an old, soft wood ruler that Jinki could easily dig his claws into and hop up and down it and set it up. He just hoped Kibum would forgive him for giving them a bowl on the floor like common animals but he had no idea how else to make water available when he wasn’t awake.

  Minho stifled a yawn as he tried to find a signal so he could fill Taemin in on his day, surprised when he had full bars as he threw himself into a chair in frustration after covering what felt like every inch of the cottage and glanced at his phone more out of desperation than anything else. Not looking gift cell coverage in the mouth, he rapidly typed out a long, rambling text to his friend describing the important parts, which was very unlike him. He generally stuck to no more than necessary words texts, or just to call. He needn’t have bothered with the text, since Taemin video-called immediately, nearly bursting his eardrum when he said “hello?”

  “I TAKE IT THIS MEANS NO AXE MURDERERS? HOW’S LIFE IN B.F.E. SO FAR? READY TO COME BACK TO CIVILIZATION YET?”

  “Taemin, I am not deaf. I will be however if you don’t crank the volume down. You’re also yelling so loudly you’re liable to wake Kibum and Jinki and they had a hard day. Poor things passed out in my bed before Baekhyun and a couple of the neighbors, Jungsoo and Ryeowook left. Granted, they only left about an hour ago. But as far as your questions are concerned, no axe murderers, I love the cottage and what little I’ve seen of the town, which was a few houses and the vet’s office though I’m afraid nosey neighbors may become a problem, and no. I have new responsibilities I’m not dragging through hell’s half-acre even if I was homesick, which I’m not.”

  “Kibum and Jinki? You have two guys in your bed? I didn’t think you were gay though?”

  Minho rolled his eyes. “Didn’t you read my text you idiot?”

  Taemin stuck his lip out in a pout and did his best puppy eyes. “Of course not! I saw you were alive so I called right away!”

  “Kibum is a fox and Jinki is a bird. I found them covered in blood when I stopped at a rest area to pee, so I took them with me to see the vet. They weren’t hurt at all, just filthy and they need a few good meals. They’re also nearly too smart to be believed. I swear they understand everything I say.”

  “Sounds like you’ve lost your marbles already. Do you need me to brave the wilds and come rescue you?”

  “Absolutely not. I wanted peace, and if I can keep the neighbors out that’s exactly what I’m going to get. Have you made your monthly appointment at the clinic yet?”

  “Yes Mom. I go in Thursday so they can tell me my isn’t about to rot off yet. I do understand what rubbers are you know.”

  Minho rolled his eyes again. “I don’t care. Your unsuspecting victims don’t need to catch anything from you, curable or not.”

  “I’m hurt. You act like I’m a predator, but my prey is always willing, and very satisfied afterwards. The best ones are repeats.”

  Minho shook his head. “You’re hopeless. I’m going to let you go though. It’s been a been long day and I’m exhausted. I’ll text you again next time I get a signal, okay?”

  “You’d better, or I’m calling the forest service to rescue you.”

  “Drama llama. Goodnight Taemin.”

  “Night Mom. Don’t let the foxes and birds bite.”

  Minho disconnected the call and sighed. He knew his friend meant well, but Taemin could be so aggravating at times. Deciding not to bother looking for a plug to charge his phone til the morning, he turned off the last lamp and made his way over to his bed. Holding his breath that he wouldn’t disturb Kibum or Jinki, he slid under the covers and immediately fell asleep, only to have the strangest dream he’d ever had before.

 

  There was a flat plain of, nothing. Grey, and lighter grey, that was it. No trees, no buildings, not even any indication of whether he was in outside, in a box, blind, nothing at all. Minho stood there, confused as to why he was dreaming such a nothingness, dressed in a loose tunic and wide legged pants as though he was an extra in some sort of Western historical movie or something, the clothing as grey as everything else. The temperature seemed fine, well nonexistent might actually be more accurate.

  “Where am I? Why am I dreaming this of all things? Did Ryeowook put something weird in the food?” Minho spoke out loud, surprised his voice wasn’t muted the way he’d half-expected.

  A rather musical laugh startled him, followed by another laugh he couldn’t describe, then suddenly Minho was no longer alone. Two men, roughly his age or maybe slightly older, the same height as each other but shorter than him appeared, dressed the same way he was. One was slightly softer features and was quite friendly-looking and handsome, while the other was more angular, no doubt had an attitude and knew how to use it judging by his posture, was fox-eyed and drop-dead gorgeous.

  “Hello Minho. It’s nice to finally be able to greet you properly. And no, Wookie didn’t put anything in the food. If we understood right, it’s the House that is causing this. It could stand to have a bit more imagination though” the fox-eyed man explained, not that it did Minho any good since none of it meant much to him except maybe the part about Ryeowook not spiking the food.

  “Who are you? I’m quite sure I’ve never met either of you in my life, and aren’t dreams only supposed to feature people you’ve seen before? I’m quite sure I would’ve remembered you two.”

  “I told you he wouldn’t realize who we were Babe” the fox-eyed man crowed to his companion, who clicked his tongue.

  “I wanted to give Minho the benefit of the doubt, but it makes sense since he’s only met us today. Still Beloved, you could be a bit nicer” the friendly one said, and offered Minho his hand.

  “Sorry about that Minho. I’m Lee Jinki, part of the local faerie royal family and currently stuck in bird form. This is my mate Kim Kibum, half gumiho/half incubus, and currently the fox sleeping in your bed since he can’t change forms either.”

“This is one weird dream I’m having. It would be bad enough with me, but to drag Jinki and Kibum into my brain mess as well? That’s it. Either Ryeowook did something to the food, or there is something in the well water. Well, I suppose it’s always possible Baekhyun drugged the groceries.”

  “Are humans always this dense? Well no, they can’t be. Jungsoo, Hyukjae, and even bubble-brain Donghae are perfectly reasonable, as are Kyuhyun, air-headed Jongwoon, and even Heechul at his worst denial of what he felt for Jungsoo and Leeteuk aren’t this dumb.”

  “Beloved, remember what He said about Minho? That he’s not even aware demons exist, let alone the rest of supernatural kind? If you don’t start being your sweet, charming self I’m going to convince everyone to help me to just lock you in a closet during your next heat instead of helping you through it. Remember, it’s not nice to insult someone you desperately need the help of.”

  The man claiming to be Jinki gave a brilliant smile to Minho, who probably would’ve melted a little if he wasn’t so incredulous as to what his own mind had decided to invent.

  “I am sorry about my mate Minho, but he’s spent way too long stuck in his fox form that he’s starting to forget what basic manners are. I know the whole thing sounds crazy, but I think I have a way to prove we’re not lying. Demons of whatever flavor have a custom, well maybe more like ritual they go through when they wish to develop what is referred to as a mating bond. It’s kind of like humans exchanging wedding rings, except the bond is nearly impossible to break except by death or the cooperation of multiple Elders. Elders are kind of like the elite rulers of each kind of demon. Some of the best known types are high which are basically the bureaucracy, warrior kind of speaks for itself though they’re usually more into peace-keeping and private security than actual wars most of the time, animal who tend to prefer rural life to civilization and have some of the characteristics of whatever type of animal they are, and incubi, who are fun-loving and social butterflies for the most part and have a mostly undeserved reputation as nothing more than fiends or living dolls. Now, they do have non-dietary requirements that necessitate they have a lot of , but it’s actually the strong feelings that come with it they need. Most actually prefer to settle down with a long-term lover, only leaving if for some reason their presence ends up causing harm.

  Now, I’m telling you all this to explain how we might be able to prove this isn’t just your imagination even if it is a dream right now. Kibum and I have mating marks of our own, a perfect imprint of each other’s teeth on our necks, just over the jugular vein. It’s the sign of ultimate trust, knowing the being you’ve agreed to spend your life with could easily end your life if they bit too deep or pulled back too hard. Ours are a bit hard to see though since he’s covered in fur in real life and I’m all feathers. However, next time you see Donghae see if you can get a good look at his neck. His mate Eunhyuk was apparently quite enthusiastic when they finally exchanged marks. I know you’ve met Hae’s human husband Hyukjae. Eunhyuk is an incubus, and what is known as Hyukjae’s bondling. They agreed to share a body and try and protect each other when Eunhyuk was a lost juvenile incubus and Hyukjae was a lonely street kid who sometimes sold himself. Their story and how they ended up with Donghae, who really is one of the nicest people on the planet is one for another day. Or, you might have better luck with Ryeowook. He has two marks, one on either side of his Adam’s apple. He’s been mated twice to females. The first one left when she was pregnant, and died when their daughter was three. Wookie had no idea he even had a daughter until Leeteuk found him and he was able to see reason again. She couldn’t handle seeing him feed, and to be honest it is quite gross. He eats whole, freshly killed humans, raw. He used to hunt for himself, but after he went insane after his second mate, actually one of Leeteuk’s granddaughters died he was nearly killed himself, despite having a strict rule of only eating scum who probably shouldn’t live. Now he has an exclusive contract with one of the prisons for condemned prisoners and three lovers plus Leeteuk himself to make sure he stays in check. Wookie may look harmless, but unlike most demons who no matter how mixed their heritage have one nature override any others he’s multi-natured, so without stabilization he can become quite dangerous. His second mate provided that for a long time, but he hasn’t bonded with any of his current lovers, probably because there are three, or he’s still loyal in some way to, Soon-Kyu I think her name was. I’m not a demon and Kibum grew up with his gumiho relatives so we’re not always sure we get the stories right. He’s actually Eunhyuk’s maternal grandfather even if they look nothing alike, and Leeteuk’s great-great grandson though he refers to him as Great-Grandpa Teukie, probably mostly to irritate his paternal grandfather, Elder Yunho. Teuk was an elder once too, but before that was a carer for batches of the younglings, that is peer groups who lived and learned how to be the type of demon they were together once they exhibited their dominant traits. Teuk hated being a demon elder but couldn’t go back to being a carer since he made Wookie his responsibility and also helped teach Eunhyuk once he was found. Now he’s, kind of the village elder for Hideaway but his real job is as one of the owners of Feed Your Demons, a club that caters to all sorts of demons and humans.”

  “I’m crazy. That’s the only explanation that makes even the slightest sense. I went insane after finding out my fiancée cheated, and I’m really locked up in some rubber room somewhere.”

  The man calling himself Kibum cuffed Minho upside the head, hard. “That’s enough Kit. Yes, it’s hard to believe, but this really is happening. No, we don’t know why we’re on some plain of nothingness, but I suggest we explore anyway. Maybe we’ll find a clue or path or magic ball of string or something to give us some idea of where to go.”

  When Kibum (Minho decided to just go along with it until he quit being crazy or woke up, whichever happened first) said “magic ball of string,” a ball of string appeared, leaving its tail by their feet and starting to roll in a definite direction.

  “Should we follow it?” Jinki asked, somewhat doubtfully.

  Minho shrugged. “It’s the only thing we’ve seen since we got here. I wish there was something to tie the tail to so we can find our way back here if we need to, but it’s not rolling that fast so it should be okay.”

  “Now you’re speaking like a sensible human Kit” Kibum approved, patting Minho’s head.

  “I’m not a puppy” Minho pulled away, following Jinki who was already following the ball of string who was moving at a nice, easy pace.

  “I’m not either Kit, yet that’s what you called me when we first met. At least you were smart enough to realize I wasn’t a cat, though not sure dog was any better.”

  “He fed us things we could eat, made our travel accommodations as comfortable as he could under the circumstances, and had the sense to bring us to the Hyuks’ right away. Now he’s not only given us a home without any expectations, but he didn’t even kick us out of his bed. You could be a bit kinder Beloved. It can’t be easy, trying to take in so much new information at once, especially when he had no idea about the supernatural communities, even the demons and they’re always in the news nowadays.”

  “Okay, okay Babe, you made your point. Sorry Kit, it’s not really you to be honest. I’m just getting frustrated with being stuck as a fox, and those instincts keep trying to take over. The only times I ever get any real relief are like now when I get a brief magical respite, or when I need to be mated. It’s the same for Jinki, except he copes much better as a bird. I can’t even relax during mating times because that’s about all we do. , then a brief break to eat, only to some more. It’s not enjoyable at all, not like it used to be. We could take our time then, and my hormones weren’t nearly as strong and demanding.”

  “That, sounds terrible” Minho commented. The fact his companions knew about how it was when he found his Kibum and Jinki and the fact everything seemed so real made him wonder if maybe, just maybe there was some truth to what was currently going on.

  “It really is” Jinki agreed, slowing down a step so the three were side-by-side. “It also hurts knowing I can’t really do anything for my own mate beyond trying to get him off as many times as possible in as short a time as possible. It’s not the beautiful, love-affirming experience it should be.”

  Minho was beginning to feel bad. Maybe it was because of the realism, or maybe he had some sort of white knight complex, but not knowing exactly didn’t stop him from asking “is there anything I can do to help?”