Two

House of Dreams

  There was a scream forced from the little throat as white-hot pain shot through the small body and another wound was inflicted. Dull eyes landed onto a tiny lump, so torn and covered in blood only their connection that ran deeper than words and the fact he wasn’t all he seemed to be let him know his most precious being was still alive. Suddenly, he felt a surge of power he hadn’t realized he was capable of and he fought himself to his feet. Snarling and lunging at a creature more than twice his size and out for revenge, his jaws suddenly clamped around his attacker’s larynx mid pounce. Biting down with all his might, the other fell limp as his breathing was cut off.

  Releasing his jaws, the small being limped over to his mate and gently nudged him. He was rewarded with a weak chirp, and gently took the tiny body in his mouth.

 “I’m sorry. I thought I had another week before we had to leave, which would have given Him a chance to settle in first. But, hopefully he’ll still take us in and help us. The weasel was certain of it when he told me all about Him. Are you ready to make our dream come true?”

  There was another weak chirp, then the answer came. “As long as I’m with you.”