Part 3

Magnetic [Drabble Series]

Six years on, you had travelled parts of the world, worked in exotic places and found yourself a new routine as an adult. You still loved and lost in life, but you didn’t take it as seriously as you had with Kihyun. Back then, you believed you were setting up the rest of your life with him. You were committed to making it work even when it wasn’t because you had fantasised too many times about meeting him at the end of the altar.

You often laughed at your old self.

Yet, right now, you didn’t know who you were. Logically, you were your twenty-seven year old self standing in a rather expensive dress at a cocktail party your company was hosting. However, as soon as you saw the back view of the man talking to your co-worker Simon, you felt a weird sensation cast over you.

You knew it was Kihyun without him even turning around.

It wasn’t easy to move on in the beginning. Rationally, your mind had concluded you were no good together, but your heart wasn’t in the same place. Months of crying yourself to sleep had occurred before one day you woke up and felt better. You hadn’t swept your relationship away into some corner of your brain. You simply had grieved long enough over the chapter in your life closing.

You’ve managed to avoid Kihyun for six years, but you knew it was inevitable that you would cross paths again in life, an inner voice stated, and you nodded gently in agreement with the thought. It wasn’t as if either of you had moved cities for good.

When a waiter walked by, you snatched up a flute of champagne from the tray, gulping it down in hopes it would settle the nerves now fluttering around in your stomach. Why were you nervous to see him? You had no unfinished business with the man, and for all you knew, he could have a wife and kids by now.

Well, you knew that wasn’t exactly true. Bryony did mention him now and then by mistake. Your friends had made some pact over not bringing Kihyun up when you were together, but a few chardonnays later could have the woman sharing news about anyone, Kihyun included. Still, you had maintained a strong resolve not to hunt out his social media and keep up to date with him.

You had gotten over him, but you were human too. You didn’t trust yourself entirely given how easily you fell for his charms time and time again when you were younger.

In fact, just staring at his back resurfaced those feelings and you chided yourself immediately. Deciding you would leave the office party for your own sanity, you started to edge around the room, your gaze still fixated on the two men. So far, Kihyun didn’t know you were there. You would simply get a glimpse of his face and then leave, satisfying both your curiosity and your old flame for the guy.

Except, Annalise, your colleague, suddenly hooked her arm through yours and started leading you in the opposite direction.

“You’re going to miss all the fun if you leave now.”

“I’m not feeling well.”

“Uh-huh, I’m not entirely buying it. Come on I want you to meet someone new working with our firm.”

“Must I?”

“Of course!”

You should have known where this was going. Only a handful of people in the room were unrecognisable to you and yet your instincts remained clueless until you were standing beside Kihyun, his laughter from whatever Simon just said filling your ears and rooting you to the spot you now stood on. Noticing your arrival, he turned, his eyes widening.

At least he hadn’t forgotten you.

“Kihyun, I’d like you to meet one of our formidable members of the marketing team, Y/N. Y/N, this is our new investor here at Mason and Co.”

“It’s a pleasure,” Kihyun mentioned, reaching out to take your hand in his. You didn’t hesitate to take a hold of him, unable to speak with the surge of electricity now coursing throughout you.

Though, he did eventually get you talking. The whole night was spent talking with Kihyun in a corner of the gathering and then in a coffee shop after it ended. You ignored the warning bells in your mind, enjoying the time spent with him. It wasn’t the same as it had been back then, but you couldn’t deny the unbelievable attraction you felt between you still.

That magnetic force.

“It’s been really good seeing you again,” Kihyun mentioned, and you grinned.

“Likewise.”

“I should get you home.”

“Oh, I can take the subway.”

“Are you sure? It’s late now,” he said, checking his watch and shaking his head. “No, I insist. Let me take you home. I promise I’m not trying to intentionally find out where you live. Heck, direct me to your street, and I’ll let you off there knowing you’re close to home.”

“You’re rambling.”

“I still do that,” he agreed with a chuckle.

You stood up, sliding your bag over your shoulder. “You can take me home. We’re adults now.”

“Exactly.”

However, age played no game in the passion that easily flowed between you. When you stepped out of Kihyun’s car, and he followed to the door to say goodnight, you decided you didn’t want it to end.

Boundaries! Your mind screamed at you as you pointed at the door and offered him the chance to come inside. What happened to the boundaries around Kihyun?! It cried when, as soon as the door was shut Kihyun pressed you into it, causing you to let out a wanton moan.

You didn’t care anymore about the strict rules you had made six years. You still craved his touch like no other.