Chapter 7

When We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

 

For Taemin, the days just flashed by. Not only did he get to watch Minho get better and better at the trapeze every day, he also often went to feed the animals with Key and helped him clean the cages so that Minho had a little more time to practice.

 

Key's gentleness towards the animals fascinated him, and at the same time he learned a lot about the different behaviors and characteristics of the wonderful creatures.

But Key was also grateful for Taemins help, because he had a natural grace about him that made his fluffy friends get used to him right away and not feel any fear or mistrust towards him.

For Taemin, however, the time with Key was much more than the happiness of having so many wondrous creatures around him.

 

During the time he was not with Minho, he thought about him, or rather about him and himself, and their impossible future together. Because with every glance he exchanged with the athletic man, he felt more and more that he didn't know how to fill the emptiness that was creeping up on him as soon as the circus would leave the city. He couldn't imagine returning to his normality, especially when, after being allowed to devour wonder, joy and the impossible to an insatiable extent, every time he entered the magic tent. The mere thought of returning to his everyday life promised only grey desolation. In just a few blinks of an eye, this unreal life would be over, and this thought filled his heart with an unbearable burden.

 

He had no idea at that particular moment that behind Minho's warm smile, the same pain and longing were spreading agonizingly within him. Taemins confident words that one day he would be able to inspire people there, high up, on the trapeze, sounded so honest, as if they were the undeniable truth. It was different to perceive the words from him than from Key and Jinki, even if he would like to believe them. But the little voice in his head that they were only encouraging him because they were his friends, and not because they actually believed in him, could never be silenced.

But Taemin had no other reason to be so enthusiastic towards him; after all, they had known each other for less than two weeks. The thought of Taemin cheering him on for any other reason than that scared him more than the little voice that said he would never make it.

 

Because never getting something you pine for is painful, but the loss you suffer after losing something you love is unbearable, and he didn't know if he could go through all of that one more time.

 

 

Taemin had never taken a shower so quickly after his practice. The thought of Minho and the circus had not distracted him at all today, on the contrary. Seeing Minho trying hard encouraged him to work harder on himself and his art. He wanted to show Minho that with passion and discipline he too could bring his body even more under control and that when one had reached one's goal, one could pursue a new one in order to work again with full drive to achieve it. Even if he didn't know when, or if it could ever happen, that Minho would see him dance, the thought, and the hope he clung onto, was enough to ignite even more the fire Minho set in him.

 

"I need a little more time." Kai said hastily when he saw that Taemin was already dressing. Puzzled, Taemin looked over at him, wondering why he was telling him this. Kai recognized the incomprehension in Taemins gaze, and had to swallow his slightly rising anger.

"We're going to have a Coke, as usual?!" his eyes opened wide and he spoke in a tone that made Taemin think he was a little slow on the uptake. Taemin was struck like a knife by these words, for he was not used to being spoken to in such a condescending manner anymore, and in bewilderment he could say nothing back.

 

"Kai...I'm afraid I don't have time." He let it be known that he was upset and shook his head, slightly. Perplexed by Taemins little outburst, which he had never expressed to him like that before, he quickly rowed back and made an effort to adopt a nicer tone.

"What are you up to?" What was different, Kai wondered.

 

Was he ditching him for the same reason as last time? And if so, what was that reason...or rather, who was that reason? Normally, Taemin was always on board when he said they should do something together. And even though his words sounded softer this time, the anger inside him was boiling, because he was not the type to run after someone. But Taemin was not deterred.

 

"I'll see you next week." Taemin slung his bag over his back and without giving Kai an answer to his question, he walked out.

 

 

Kai had foregone the shower and dressed quickly. Careful to be far enough away from Taemin not to draw attention to him, he quietly and stealthily followed his dance partner.

 

Confused, he watched Taemin nonchalantly enter the circus tent. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter