Chapter 3

When We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3

 

Even though he wanted to see the show, Taemin could not enjoy it. The lights of the tent were still clearly visible, but now there were no more artists outside to give a taste of their real talents. No clown that made him laugh had fallen down on the carpet. And even the sugary scent of sweets seemed to have faded away.

 

Muffled, he could hear the thunderous roar of the crowd and the upbeat music. He had to laugh a little at himself as he now walked in the moonlight. Looking down at the ground, he thought about all the things he kept trying to bury deep inside himself, but always knew.

 

Kai would never be his and it was time to let him go. From some distance he could make out the snorting of a horse and turned his gaze to the metallic fence. A soft smile played around his lips, for it was not a horse but a pony that peeked out from the wide fence.

 

"Well, cutie?" Taemin approached the tame creature in a tender voice, admiring its beauty.

"What are you doing out here all alone?" he asked the cute pony, its muzzle affectionately. The pony was obviously a little older, but this did not detract from its cuteness.

"Although..." here Taemin had to smile a little.

"...I'm sure you could ask me the same thing. But I don't think I want to talk about it." Tenderly the words came out of him and even though his heart still ached, it did him good to breathe in the fresh night air and feel this graceful being near him. Taemins way of talking to the pony so leisurely and lovingly helped it to be even tamer in his presence. Taemin knew that horses were sensitive animals. And it didn't matter what he said, it mattered how he said it. So he continued to speak softly and thoughtfully, petting his new friend.

 

"Shiny?" a dark voice sounded in the distance.

"Shiny, where are you?"

"Seems they're looking for you, Shiny." Smiling, he looked into the sweet creature's wide eyes. But the pony made no move to leave, instead snorting happily and enjoying Taemins gentle caresses.

"There you are little one." The voice that had called after the pony sounded relieved as it approached.

"Guess you made a new friend, huh?" A tall man stepped next to Shiny and gave Taemin a warm smile.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to hold her up." With a shy smile, Taemin explained the situation. The black-haired man, however, was not angry.

"Don't worry, she likes company. Especially when she gets so many cuddles." Satisfied, the stranger looked down at the pony and patted her affectionately on the back. His large, dark eyes sparkled like black diamonds in the moonlight.

"But the show is actually held inside the tent, or did I miss something?" His gaze was now fixed on Taemin. There was no reproach in his eyes or voice.

"I guess I'm just a little tired." Taemin said and returned the man's glance, also smiling. But the man heard that there was more in Taemins intonation than he wanted to admit.

"It was nice to meet you Shiny." Taemin said and was about to say goodbye.

"Would you like to maybe meet Shinys friends? They are all just as cute and deserve to be fondled like that too." Suggested the man behind the fence with a cheerful expression. Taemin had not expected this and looked at his counterpart a little puzzled, but in the next moment he couldn't help but smile and happily agreed.

 

 

The grass under their feet was soft and uneven. A lot of hay was scattered everywhere. The two walked past some small wagons that were painted with different pictures. They showed different animals roaring reverently, a tightrope walker looking forward intently, a knife thrower aiming straight. And many other miraculous performers and their talents were immortalized on them. Taemin looked fascinated at the large courtyard, which seemed to him like a small village.

 

"My name is Minho, by the way. I look after the animals here." He introduced himself. Only now that small lamps gave more light, Taemin noticed that Minho's shirt and trousers were slightly dirty and his forehead shone slightly. Minho had fed the animals before their performances, checked the hooves of the horses and ponies and cleaned all the stalls.

"I'm Taemin."

"It's nice to meet you, Taemin." Minho led the pony back to his fellow ponies, who were already dressed appropriately for their act.

"Hello, pretty ones." Taemin greeted the other seven ponies and had to yelp in amusement at the sight.

 

Minho loved the beaming faces the animals could give little children, and adults who were still a child inside. And so he could not take his eyes off the now happy looking Taemin. This look reminded him of times in his life when everything had been easier and full of wonder. One pony was cuter than the other and they were all very tame. Their robust hair was shiny and finely groomed.

 

"Do you dress all the animals in their costumes?" asked Taemin Minho, without looking away from the ponies. Minho put a light blue saddle on Shinys back and fastened it.

"Sometimes I do. In most cases, the artists do it themselves to be more connected with the animals. But sometimes they just don't have the time, then I do it." Explained Minho calmly with a friendly smile.

"Are the ponies ready, or do you want to take them out on a date first?" sneered an old familiar voice in a sarcastic tone to Minho.

"Oh, I didn't know you had company." Puzzled, the slender man with his cat-like eyes looked at Taemin, who bowed slightly in greeting.

"They are all ready, Key. You can take them with you." Minho said in a slightly scolding tone.

 

Taemin hid his smile behind his hand at this dramati

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter