Chapter 15

When We Met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 15

 

Minho was breathing heavy. His gaze was fixed on the ground. His thoughts circled wildly. Inside he was agitated. He was filled with deepest gratitude that he had been given this chance, but at the same time full of sadness about how it had come about.

 

He did not want to disappoint Jinki. Because of his carelessness, Jinki had been badly hurt. And now it was up to him to enchant the audience in the air. He was aware that he would never be as good as Jinki, but he would do everything to represent him honorably.

 

He wanted his parents to be truly proud of him and for that reason alone he would do his best. He took a deep breath and kissed the one necklace that was now around his neck. Knowing that Taemin had the other, and would stand by him, helped him. He couldn't completely turn off the clutter in his head, but Taemins existence helped keep it dull so it didn't take over.

 

"Ladies and gentlemen!" the directors voice would now announce him and then he would be allowed to do what he had been dreaming of for so long. But the curtain did not yet open. And Roo was not led back through the bars to his cage.

 

A questioning murmur went through the other artists who were also waiting in the large room behind the show tent. For they too were used to the fact that it was now time for the trapeze artist. Instead, the ringmaster continued to speak.

 

"A true master of the air has no fear of heights." Confused at the directors words, Jinki and Key looked over at Minho, who was waiting patiently for the curtain to open.

"A true master of the trapeze dances in the air." The director spoke on menacingly and the music that was now playing sounded sinister. The curtain finally opened and even in the darkness Minho realized what was about to happen.

"This can't be..." stunned, Key stared through the opened curtain. The ring was darkened, but he could clearly see the reflection of the cage.

"Why isn't the cage down?" dismayed, Key couldn't take his eyes off Minho.

"Min..." but Jinki held Key back, who was about to stop his best friend from taking another step.

"Jinki!" breathlessly Key spoke his boyfriend's name. He did not react, but held Keys hand tremblingly.

 

A confused whisper went through the performers. No one knew if it was planned, should they stop the show now? In the darkness, Minho took a few steps forward. Out of sight of the audience, the trapeze was lowered and he clung to it. His gaze went down to Roo with each meter he was pulled up. Slow music with an engaging rhythm gradually grew louder.

 

"Ladies and gentlemen!" the director spoke fervently.

"Now witness a show you've never seen before!"

 

The lights blazed on Minho. The crowd of spectators whispered in disbelief and even Taemin was not sure what was happening. Not far above the highest platform, Minhos trapeze was lowered. Hectically he went through all the days he had watched Minho train. Had there ever been any talk of the trapeze artist performing not only without a safety device but above a lion?

Taemin had to swallow hard, took Minhos pendant in his trembling hand and kissed it.

 

"So that's what I missed out on last time?" Kai was astonished at the sight. His heart was literally racing. He knew how just barely he had managed to escape this dangerous predator. He remembered well how big the claws and fangs of this beast were.

 

Taemin calmed down a little when he saw that Minhos features were unaffected by the danger below him.

 

The somber music changed softly into soothing melody and Minho moved his body tactfully and gracefully to it. The audience held its breath.

 

Minhos movements were elegant and of a lightness that only a master of aerial arts could provide. Everyone was aware that the immediate threat lurked below him, but no one could take their eyes off him.

 

Roo began to understand that something was moving above him. Stalking slowly, he jumped onto the lowest platform to get a better look at what was going on just above him. With Roos movement, the first worried voices went around among the audience.

 

And even though Minho could hear from the murmur that streaked through the crowd that something was happening below him, he did not let it faze him. Because at that moment, nothing else seemed important except his body control. He had often gone through the motions, but never from such a height. Everything that seemed so big and wide during training was now small and distant.

 

He felt free in the air and knew that this moment belonged to him. He angled his leg and spun around his own axis as fast as the wind, while his arms held on to the trapeze firmly. His legs almost touched Roos top platform.

 

The lion had taken a few more leaps and had almost reached the top. The crowd let out a shocked noise at first, but immediately clapped and cheered the next moment. With a roar, Roo had jumped onto the top platform. But before he could touch Minhos legs, the latter swung his legs up and wrapped them around the ropes of the trapeze.

 

Enthusiasm and cheering would not stop among the viewers and even Taemin could not believe what he had seen there either. Minho smiled contentedly as he slowly unhooked himself from the ropes and shimmied down. His parents' necklace was hanging down and as he looked at Roo, he felt no fear.

 

The lion below did not quite know what to do and looked through the raised cage into the crowd. The audience was visibly excited to see what would happen next.

 

Excited, Taemin dropped back into his seat and couldn't help smiling in relief. Next to him, Kai looked on in disbelief, unable to avert his strained gaze. Many things were going through his mind. The man on the trapeze was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter