Chapter 10

Can you smile?

I woke up a bit later than usual to the sound of shattering glas or plates and my mothers yelling. ,,Shh you're going to wake up the kids'' my father tried to his best so that we wouldn't wake up to them fighting. He was always the one of them that tried to hide the disputes between them to no avail. ,,Do I look like I care? Just unlock my creditcards again!''

,,I'm not doing that!"

,,Your money is my money. So you can't just freeze my card'' her mother yelled from downstaris.

,,If you need money go search for a job I'm not your ATM were you get free money'' he said with a mix of anger and annoyance, his voice still calm then walked away. But the fight didn't end there. ,,If you would at least take good care of the kids atleast it would be ok but you don't. So what's holding you back at finding a job and earn money yourself?'' he said boldly.

I saw how my mother walked after him and grabbed him by the shoulder ,,Are they fighting again?'' I turned to my side only to see my sister come out holding on to her little teddy bear which I bought her and which Sun Mi couldn't sleep without at night, rubbing her eyes tiredly.

,,Everythings fine. just... go get ready for school quickly'' Sun mi nodded and got ready. Since she's dropping off her sister they were already late for school. I grabbed a hoody/sweater out of my dresser and got ready myself.

-

After dropping off Sun mi she walked down the hallways of her school, noticing many peoples stares on her. She noticed it on her way to Sun mi's school too. The surprised, terrified, curious stares. Whenever she glanced up they looked away immediately. Don't they have to be in class? She glanced to the clock and realized that she was almost 10 minutes late. She hurried to her literatur class turning around the corner directly into someone and fell down.

,,I'm so sorry'' She apologized and gave him back the book that the person dropped but read the title out loud. ,,To Kill a Mockingbird. I wanted to read it after the book I'm currently reading.  Is it thrilling?... W-well I-I'm sorry for running into you again'' she questioned while giving it back but stopped talking again as she noticed his cold expression while giving it back to him. But his expression was replaced with surprise as his attention was directed on something else.Then she remembered class and ran to the door. He wanted to call out to her but he didn't. Her hand almost reached the knob but she stopped. She hated not being on time since then it would mean she had to face the staring and embarressment by the teacher and classmates. She would be the centre of attention.

He saw her struggling. Before she could open the door he opened it and walked in first.

,,Young mister. You're late! What's your name?'' the teacher asked to write him down. By now all the attention laid on him. But they soon glanced away as he glared at them with his icy stare.

,,Sorry'' he said monotone. The teacher was taken aback by his boldness for moment.

,,I asked for your name!" he demanded and walked to his desk. Sun hi's head peeked through the door but hid again as the teacher looked their way.

,,Kim Myungsoo'' the teacher wrote him down. Myungsoo still stood in the doorway until he saw the girl sneaking in and already seated. Then he walked to his seat.

As Sun hi passed them and they noticed her, all of them had these terrified expressions on once again. She didn't hear any insults which was unusual. Not one insult. Nobody threw things at her either nor did anyone snitch on her like she fought they would. But not today. Only these terrified stares again. What is going on?

Sun hi hid behind her book so she wasn't exposed to their stares anymore.

-

,,Did you hear about that emo girl from class 1? It's said she's one of MDHR'' his friends gasped.

,,Do you mean that nerd that is always by herself? No way''

,,I guss we should of been nicer to her''

Hani, who overheard them walked their way. ,,Hey, who were you talking about just now?'' she asked curious.

,,A girl from class one. Apparently she knows MDHR''

Hani stormped to class 1. ,,Who of you knows MDHR?'' she asked. They all just seemed bewildered. Hani went through her hair annoyed and asked again examing all of them. Sun hi glanced up at her friends voice, putting down the book in front of her. That's when Hani noticed Sun hi. Sun hi smiled and waved her hand at her. Hani walked over to her and grabbed her friends wrist, dragging her outside.

,,Sun hi you're a member of MDHR?...the once who beat up my brother!"

,,Hold on. What are you talking about?'' Sun hi asked visibly confused.

,,You should know better then me''

,,I really don't have any idea what you're talking about Hani and what does MDR mean? Is it another anime like mmh how did you call it?...Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba?''

,,Dongman had a black eye, a burst lip and half his face was swollen in the morning. I didn't think much of it since he's quite a klutzt but he never looked this bad. Ah ryung then told me it was a group of streetfighters named M.D.H.R. which you happen to wear right now'' Sun hi was shocked but assured her many times that she neither knew nor heard of them but the question that both of them asked themselves were where she got it from then.

~

,,So you really don't know them?'' Hani asked once more to which Sun hi assured with a nod. 

,,Forget that! So you really want to move out from home?'' IU asked looking over Sun hi's shoulder browsing through her phone in search for an affordable apartment. Sun hi hid her phone as they walked to the practice room. Home is a really big word for a place she doesn't feel welcomed at. Sun hi nodded. ,,I just... don't feel like I should stay there'' she let out under her breath.

,,Why? Did something happen at home? Don't you get along with your parents? You can live with me....''IU suggested.

Hani noticed Sun hi's uneasy expression. ,,Thank you but I don't want to burden you''

,,You know you can always talk to us if something's bothering you, right?'' Hani continued. Sun hi breathed out heavily, staring at the ground with no fixed point. ,,I-... I'm just tired'' They stayed quiet to listen but she was just not ready. Sun hi remembered her talk with her parents that morning.

 

,,Mum, dad! I got my essay back and my teacher said it was the best essay she has read so far. I overdone Ah ri and Hyunwoo. A-'' her father turned around and Sun hi saw that he was on the phone and didn't pay any attention. ,,Ok, I'll be right there'' he said and was ready to go. ,,Dad are we still going to my school festival together like you promised? Hani and IU are probably performing there''

,,Yeah, yeah sure'' he said but Sun hi wasn't sure if he was talking to her or the guy on the phone, leaving her standing there. Her hopeful smile fading a bit. She turned to her mother. ,,Mum?'' She asked hopeful although she knew the answer already. ,,Are you com-''

,,Shut up! I can't stand your presence nor do I like hearing your voice. So get out off my face and don't bother me! Urg I get a migrain everytime I see you'' She said rubbing her temples, pushing her way out. Sun hi stumpled to the side as her mother pushed her. ,,And never bother me again about your stupid life. I don't give a damn!'' she said, walking to a new pair of shoes she bought online.

~

After school Sun hi  walked out with her two best friends who walked quietly and kept a safety distance to their dear friend. They parted ways along the way. Thats when some boys circled around her, trapping her. ,,Who do we have here?''

,,She's wearing their logo so she must be important''

,,Oh really Sherlock?!''

,,..." Sun hi was shocked and terrified that she didn't know what to do. Couldn't even a make sound for help because she was too afraid. The leader of the these people held on to her so she wouldn't escape.

,,Yah! Stop pestering that girl?'' someone said and walked their way with his friends. As these guys objected on letting go they used violance and threw the first punches. After seeing them fight she took all her courage and the fear, at some point, thinking of having to be with them if she doesn't do anything. She stepped hard on the guys foot that was holding on to her, then kicked him in the ding dongs, peaked his eyes and rushed off away as soon as he loosened his grip.

,,GET HER!" he yelled angry which caused Sun hi to run faster. They chased after her but since the others fought them back Sun hi had a head start. After she tricked them she hid in a kiosk until she was sure they were gone. She looked at her wristwatch, panting heavily. She's almost too late for her part-time job. Changing her clothes she could forget now. Even though she didn't have the nerve to work right now and only wanted to go home to lock herself up, she made her way to the Kim's house.

-

I excused myself for being late, saying something came up.

,,It's okay but are you sure you're fine? You look a little pale and exhausted'' she asked worried and I nodded slightly. I could see she was in a hurry.

,,Ok, I need to go. I was about to change Seul bi but you're here now'' she said in a hurry. If something should happen there is my number, the number of my office and even my husbands and son's number...''She said and stood in the enterance of the house.

,,Don't worry everything will be fine'' I assured to which she nodded.

~

,,Seulbi how about we make some music. How about we drum a little? It'll be fun'' I upend some different sized buckets of different materials with different tunes infront of both of us, giving Seulbi two wooden spoons for her to drum on. Seulbi slowly imitated me by hitting the pots. ,,I have so much fun. Every bucket makes a different sound. Do you want to try it?'' I asked her. I wanted to increase her creativity, give her different oppotunities to test things and increase her communication skills since children need to be encouraged to speak. Without communication the cognitive developement and thus also the social behavier may lead to deceleration of her whole developement. Without vocabulary you have a hard time organizing your thoughts and emotions which leads to having a high frustration level and a low frustrationtoleranance. And without the ability to make friends in the early years of life a completed, healthy developement isn't possible I read somewhere before.

Some tunes were clear and melodious, others were blunt and dull

,,Seulbi do you want to help me in the kitchen?'' Seulbi had so much fun listening to the various sounds that she created all on her own that I didn't want to disturb her anymore.

I smiled at Seulbi seeing how much fun she had then turned around to get everything I needed to prepare to cook while keeping an eye on her. Seulbi smiled happily at me as I placed the food infront of her.It was the first time she smiled so brightly at me, mumphing her food. Maybe she's slowly getting used to me.

After she almost fell asleep while eating her food I picked her up and brought her to bed, sitting beside her as she started crying when I was about to leave. She sleepily opened her eyes again so I sang for her a little bit until she was asleep. I exited her room quietly and went to the kitchen to clean the mess I made.

When I heard something. I searched for my phone but remembered that I forgot it at home and the landline phone was in the livingroom. The footsteps walked closer and closer. So I grabbed the next thing in my view. I slowly but hesitantly walked where the footsteps came from, gulping heavily. Armed with a pan in my shaking hand. So I held it tighter. And then a familiar face popped up infront of me but I couldn't stop myself from adrenaline and hit the person on the head.