Chapter 9

Can you smile?

IU was laying in bed, her head spinning and hurting. As her mother opened the curtains of her room, letting in the sunbeams IU covered her head under a pillow. ,,Mum!''

,,Don't ,Mum' me. What are you even doing here? Shouldn't you be in school already?'' her mother nagged, making IU groan and turn in bed. But her mother wasn't having it. She snatched the bedsheet away from her.

,,Just let me sleep. I don't feel well''

,,You can party all night if you want to but you're not skipping school because of you having a hangover. I told you from the beginning if you want to party ok. It's your decision but your education shouldn't be neglected because of it. Now get ready and get dressed. Your already too late'' IU's mother said and left the room. IU laid her head back on her pillow. ,,Should I let your brother handle it?'' her mother asked from downstairs. As she heard rushing footsteps she immediately stood up on her feet and walked to the bathroom, seeing her little brother with a fading smile and a bucket of water ready to throw it on her but she quickly entered the bathroom and got ready. Shocked to see that something staring back at her with bags under her eyes, smeared makeup and sallow teint underneath, she stumbled back in shock at her reflexion. ,,I can't be seen like this!''

-

,,What's with the sunglasses?'' Hani asked as she walked down the hallway with IU.

IU showed her her eyebags to which Hani looked confused.

,,I look horrible''

,,I don't see a problem''

,,Don't you see these huge eyebags? Looking tired and I don't suit each other. I always look perfect''

,,You really care too much of how you look. You seem just fine'' Hani said calm, looking around ,,But did you see Sunny somewhere?''

IU shook her head rather uninteressted ,,She's probably in her class already'' holding her humming head. In class they were immediately greeted by cheerful Hoseok.

They seated themselves and heard the whole class in a heated conversation.

,,Hey Ah ryung, what's the fuss all about?'' Hani asked her classmate.

,,You know my brother right. He and Dongman went to the new fight club...'' Hani's eyes grew wide as she listened curiously.

~

,,A great work as always'' Sunhi's favorite teacher complimented her. Sun hi read the note she wrote down with a small relieved sighed.

The schoolbell rang and Sun hi packed her backpack when something hit her head. It was a paper ball again.

,,Hey loser, alone again? Where are your friends? Oh I forgot you have none. Ups..'' Jiyeon stood infront of her with her arms crossed, laughing at Sun hi along with her friends and flipped her hair back.

,,P-please, just leave me alone''

,,Oho... the nerd can talk back?'' one of her friends said and looked down at her.

,,Nobody talks back at me!" she said angry, went nearer and poked Sun hi's shoulder. With every step she took Sun hi stepped back ,,..and especially not you. You little piece of '' she yelled and pushed her. Sun hi hit her head at the edge of the table before she fell on the ground. Sun hi held her head in pain, hearing their mocking laughs and then her friends started kicking her. Sun hi just endured it silently in pain.

,,HEY!" ,,WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?'' They all looked at the direction the voices came from. At the entrance stood Jungkook and Taehyung, both had angry expressions on their faces.

,,I-It's n-not what i-it looks like!" Jiyeon's friends Jina and Soo-ah stuttered and rushed to each Taehyung's and Jungkook's side. Jungkook shook Jina's hand off as soon as she grabbed his arm. Taehyung didn't even let Soo-ah get to him.

,,We were just playing but she suddenly tripped by herself, fell down and blamed us!" Jiyeon stated in the most innocent way.

Jungkook seemed to buy it for a second but Taehyung nodged his arm glaring at him and shook his head almost unnoticable. Jungkook then glared back at Jiyeon. Taehyung wanted to approach Sun hi but Jungkook held him back, went instead and streched out his hand to help her up. She flinched as he wanted to touch her and stood up by herself instead.

,,Are you ok?'' Jungkook asked.

,,I'm fine'' putting her hand that rested on her head down although her head still hurt a lot ,,Thank you''

,,Don't ever do that again!" Jungkook said and glared at each of them. They walked out of class. Jungkook just stood up for me where he would usually be one of the ones who hated me too, Sun hi thought.

,,Does this happen often?'' Taehyung hesitantly asked. She kept her gaze directed to the ground, avoiding eyecontact and kept quiet, adjusting her glasses. Taehyung suspected otherwise as you could hear his skeptical remark. Sun hi felt his intense glare that it made her shrunk in size.

Then she was grabbed by the shoulders, making her flinch at the touch but made her look up ridgit and stiff. Her expression showed fear and insecurity. Taehyung repositioned his hands on her shoulders softly to soothe her tho it didn't

,,Tell me if that ever happens again...then I'll kick all of their asses'' Taehyung joked making some funny karate noices and moves which made the corners of her lips unknowingly curl up in the slightest way but it didn't stay unnoticed. ,,Was that a little smile I saw?'' he teased. The smile immediately faded.

,,You should smile more often! You look cute when you smile'' Taehyung said with a sweet smile and then ruffed her hair lightly. Sunhi got embarressed and glared at the ground.

,,Is someone blushing?'' Jungkook stepped along into the teasing which embarrassed her more. Taehyung got a call and excused himself for a minute. ,,So today after school at my place?... because of the next lesson''Jungkook added quickly.

,,I can't and we should restrict the lessons to school hours'' ,,Well if your grade is that unimportant to you''

,,The grade is important to me. But you could also just tell me what to learn for myself so it won't be necessary for us to meet. I suppose you have better things to do too then to stick to this pollution'' Sunhi suggested quietly remembering what he called her. Jungkook wanted to retort but he couldn't think of anything to answer. Taehyung came back hitting Jungkook on the shoulder as he came to a halt beside him.

,,That was my little sister. She isn't feeling too great. So I'll have to pick her up. Jungkkook could you let the teacher know that I'm off?'' Jungkook answered with a nod.

,,I'll see you tomorrow'' Taehyung said, hit Jungkooks shoulder, winked at Sunhi on the way out and left the buildung.

~~

Sunhi was on my way from school to the Kim's family house and she was pretty nervous. Putting away the tipps and practice tasks Jungkook gave her as homework she stood infront of a pretty big house. Sun hi checked the address given to her to make sure she was standing infront of the right house. And indeed it was the right place. Sun hi nervously rang the doorbell, straightening herself and a beautiful woman with chin-lenght hair in a well fit black business suit opened the door. Wait I saw her somewhere before, Sun hi thought. Sun hi wanted to introduce herself but the woman preempted her.

,,Hello Ms Song. Nice to meet you again'' she said with a welcoming smile and stepped aside. Sun hi walked in mezmerized, admiring the beautiful interior. The house was very big but it wasn't empty-looking and it had a welcoming atmosphare to it. It was mostly covered in warm shades, decorated with pretty bouques of flowers in fancy vases, placed perfectly so that this house looked pretty but not too crowed of flowers.

Mrs. Kim guided her to the livingroom.

,,Please take a seat'' Sun hi did as told and sat on a comfortable light beige coloured couch. Mrs. Kim sat across from her looking at her. ,,I was very pleased to see your application. But let me ask you one thing. Why do you need this job? Shouldn't you better take your free time to learn for school or hang out with friends? And if I remember right you already have a job. Won't that be too much?... You can be honest. You can have the job if you want to'' Mrs. Kim said with a small laugh.

,,I... want to stand on my own feet, learn more about responsibility and show that I can be useful and reliable. I want to be independent and do something that can be fun too''

,,That sounds marvellous'' Mrs. Kim stood up and so did Sun hi. ,,Seulbi has to wake up any minute and I have to go in about an hour'' Sun hi nodded.

She was guided through the big house, was explained what her tasks were and what she had to do. They walked up to the first floor. ,,Here's Seulbi's room. right across is my room and next to mine is the bathroom'' she said and showed the rooms. ,,Next to Seulbi's room is the room of my son''

,,Oh...so I have to babysit two?'' Sunhi asked curious because she expected to babysit just one. But Mrs. Kim just laughed.

,,My son is around your age and doesn't live here anymore. He moved out a year ago but shows up once in a while. But sure, you can babysit him too'' she told her with a smile but when she told Sun hi about him moving out there was a quick change in her expression, looking sad. Sun hi scretched her head in embarressment for bringing that up. Mrs. Kim glanced back at Sun hi. ,,Maybe you know him. He goes to your school...Ok and the room in the back, parallel to my son's is the workspace of my husband'' Sun hi nodded understandingly and walked back down. This place has a lot of rooms!

,,Sun hi is unproblematic but she is quite strenchous with strangers. We had a few babysitters before but Seulbi drove them nuts.She didn't like any of them, would block and wouldn't let them get a hold of her'' Mrs Kim saw Sun hi's troubled face. ,,Don't worry. I believe that won't be the case here''

Seulbi woke up not long after. Mrs. Kim fetched Seulbi from upstairs and intructed Sun hi to preheat the prepared food. Mrs. Kim walked back to the kitchen with little Seulbi in her arms. ,,Seulbi this is Sun hi. She will take care of you when I need to go to work. Say hi'' Seulbi just turned her face away laying her head on her mothers shoulder.

,,Hi Seulbi, I'm Sun hi. I hope we can be good friends'' Sunhi introduced herself warmly seeing that cute little babygirl. She is just too cute. Seulbi had two cute little ponytails at the sides of her head, a small face and big brown eyes. Mrs Kim needed to go to work so she gave Sun hi her precious daughter as they stood at the main enterance. ,,Be a good girl Seulbi. I'll be home soon''Mrs. Kim kissed Seulbi's forehead and smiled at Sunhi. As Mrs. Kim turned around to leave Seulbi started to cry. Sun hi looked troubled for a moment. Mrs. told her Seulbi didn't like any of the other babysitter before and was afraid that Seulbi might not like her too. Mrs. Kim saw her troubled expression and smiled at her reassuringly. ,,Don't worry. She'll come to like you. She'll just need some time. I'm sure'' and with that she left. Seulbi just continued to cry. ,,Don't cry! Please. Are you hungry? Here's some food. Mmmmh...yummy''

Seulbi didn't seem to stop and almost spilled the food around if Sunhi didn't react quick. Sun hi flew the spoon full of banana-apple-oat puree in . She instantly stopped crying. She fidgeted excited with her hands and Sun hi supposed Seulbi wanted more. Sun hi made plane sounds and flew one after another spoon her way.

-

After dinner Seulbi again kept screaming. Sun hi searched for a way to distract her and saw the big piano in another room. ,,Seulbi how about we play some music?'' She took Seulbi and played a melodie. Seulbi instantly stopped crying, watching Sun hi play the piano effortlessly. So she likes music? Good to know.