Chapter 5

Can you smile?

After a tiring day at school all I wanted to do was lay down a bit before I had to go to work. ,,I'm home''

I took two more shifts in the restaurant so I could leave this place as soon as possible. Today at school didn't happen much except that IU and I still don't talk to each other and it looked like she avoids me which I don't like. I want to clear this but I don't know how. Am I the one to blame for this fight?-Of course you are! my inner voice said. I just didn't want to participate because I'm afraid. I didn't see Hani in school either. She didn't even attempt the classes we had together. Not even Hoseok knew about her whereabouts. Jungkook behaved himself oddly nice infront of me without insulting me and I was nearly ran over on my way from the library back to school but was saved from a boy but apart from that nothing happened. But it sure all makes me tired. Interacting with people was never a strength of mine but it got a bit better since I started working because I had to interact with people. I used to be really shy.

Anyway

Seems like noone's home. But where is Sun mi? Did dad take her with him to work? but my question solved as my sister ran up to me with a backpackon her back and ready to go. ,,Can we go?''she asked happy, jumping up and down a little.

,,Where?'' I asked clueless.

,,Don't say you forgot'' she said looking at me and then shook her little head. ,,You said you'd bring me to Ailees birthday Party''

,,That's today? I thought you meant next week. -i thought I could lay down a bit before I have to go to work'' I said ruffling my hair with one hand.

Sun mi looked down with a sad face. I can't  stand seeing her sad. I went to my closet, opened it, took my clothes for work, went back and opened the door. Sun mi looked up at me. ,,Didn't you want to go to Ailee? Then go get your bike or I'll go without you'' she happily went to her bicycle and I followed her. After fifteen minutes I we were there and went together to the door and rung the doorbell. After about a minute Mrs. Lee and Ailee opened the door.

,,Oh hello Sun hi, long time no see. Woah how beautiful you have grown. Come on in'' Mrs. Lee said almost dradding me in her house.

,,Thank you Mrs Lee but I'm just here to bring Sun Mi so I'll be going. Happy Birthday Ailee Have a great sleepover you two. Don't fight, ok?'' I said turning from Mrs. Lee to her daughter and then my sister. They nodded and went inside giggling.

,,How many times have I told you to call me aunty. We know each other since they were two and no, don't go just yet. Have some tea and eat something. You poor thing you look too skinny. Have you eaten already?''Mrs Lee asked.

,,Thank you aunty but I really need have to go''I said and wanted to go.

,,First have some tea and food. Then you can go'' she dragged me through the house in the kitchen and gave me a cup of tea and a sandwich. I didn't want to be rude so I stayed there for a while to eat my sandwich and waited for my tea to cool off a bit.

,,Aren't you a little old to be the friend of Ailee?'' a voice asked next to me. I looked to the side and saw a nice looking woman with a beautiful, genuine smile.

,,Ah, yes. I am Song Sun Hi. I'm the sister of Sun Mi'' I said bowing at her.

,,I'm Kim Mina. Nice to meet you. So you're here because of your sister?''

,,Yes, I brought her here but I'll be leaving soon'' I said looking at my watch.

,,So soon?'' Mrs. Lee said coming out of nowhere. I drank the last sip of my tea and excused myself. ,,Yes. I have to go to work. I am sorry I can't stay longer. Thank you for the tea and food aunty. I'll be leaving then'' I said and bowed to both of them as I made my way out and headed to work. Mrs. Kim glanced at Sun hi until she was no longer in sight.

,,She seems like a good girl'' Mrs Kim turned to Mrs. Lee who smiled at her then took a sip of her tea. ,,Yes, she is. She takes care of her sister so well... if I think about it I always see her going to all of Sun Mi's performances and I mostly see her bringing her to school and pick her up even though she works part-time and goes to school'' 

,,She seems young. How old is she?''

,,She's 16 years and a top student too''

,,Really?''

 

I was waitressing a few tables at work, walkking back and forth between the kitchen and she dinning room. I cleaned a table after the couple left the restaurant and went back to the kitchen. ,,Table four is ready!'' the chef yelled ringing the bell. I took the plate and cleaned the edges of the plate with a napkin.

,,Is the sauce nut free?'' the chef glanced at his assistents who nodded.

Another chef rung the bell ,,Table 8's ready'' Miga, a new waitress came and took the plates. I took my plates and placed them this way that I could balance the three plates at a time. ,,How do you do that?'' she said looking at my arms with the plate on it. ,,I can show you how to do it but I'll just bring them away first'' Miga smiled a big smile and nodded. I walked out of the kitchen and straight to the table when a customer suddenly stood up and bummed right into me. The food all shattered on the ground with a loud, the plates broken. ,,I'm sorry'' Now the manager got involved too. ..What happend?'' Great.

,,Can't you see? Your employee threw the food all over my poor son'' ,,I'm sorry. I didn't mean too''

,,She should watch were she is going'' ,,She's not even capable of waitressing properly. You should fire her''.... I heard the wealthy looking couple say as I picked up the broken pieces. The boy turned to Sun Hi.

,,Sun hi? What a nice coincidence'' I glanced up only to see the guy that I dislike the most staring at me with a smirk. Just great....

,,You know that girl?''

,,No'' ,,Yes, really good too'' I squeezed my eyes puzzled at what he said because that's so not true. Jungkook helped me up but I brushed him off.

,,I'm sorry for her. Is there a way to make it up to you?''

,,Yes. Fire her!" The manager glanced to me and back at the woman. ,,It was just an accident and noone got hurt. She's been a wonderful loyal employee of ours''

,,Mum, dad. Is that really necessarry?'' ,,You stay out of this!" This father said intimidating to which Jungkook didn't reply back and looked anywhere but at his father.

,,So you're going to keep her. I can't believe this'' the woman dramatically threw her napkin she put on her lap on the table and stood up as well as his father. They made clear what of a big posion they were as they left the restaurant outraged.

,,What? Clean that up... now'' my manager said and I was so thankful that he didn't fire me although the restaurant may lost potential regulars because of me.

 

After work she was on her way home when a flyer caught her eye. It was a flyer searching for a babysitter. My eyes grew wide seeing the hourly pay. She didn't expect someone would pay so much for a babysitter. She took the flyer and put it in her backpack. She stepped in the bus which gladly arrived as soon as she got to the bus station, sat at the back and started reading her book.

At home I went staight to my room where I needed to process the whole day.,,Huh! he dragged me into the mess and then he wanted me to thank him? I had nothing to do with them and suddenly I was chased along with him. I shouldn't have gotten involved in it. Why did I try it anyway? I should of known better'' I mumbled. Suddenly the lights and my dad was sitting on the sofa across the room. It seemed like he was waiting. ,,Dad why are you still up?'' ,,I'm the oe who should ask the questions. I got...Oh god what happened to you?'' he asked worried as he made his way to me to inspect my face. I glanced at the ground not daring to look up. ,,I was just a bit careless. It's no big deal so what were you going to tell me?''

,,I was just going to tell you that your teacher called and said that you're going to fail her class. I told you your grades matter the most now. You're a junior now and you're almost over with high school''

,,Wait what? Which subject?''

,,You're music teacher Mrs. Choi called me. She said you're probably going to fail music. again.''

I kept quite for a moment. ,,But it's just the beginning of this year'' ,,She said she doesn't see any progress in you and if it continues you'll fail. I always thought you love music. As a kid you used to love to perform infront of me and you were good at it'' That was ages ago.. Times change but how would you know. You're never here anyway and when you are you're fighting with mother.

,,But she said one of her best students would volunteer to help you pass'' I nodded and went up the stairs to my room.

Even though it was already past midnight I decided to stay up a little longer to do my homework and study a bit before I go to bed. I wonder who it's going to be.

I grabbed in my backpack and found the flyer I took before. Even though I did know I wasn't going to get the job since I'm not an experienced babysitter I still applied for the position.

 

The next day Sun Hi's father was getting ready for work. ,,Remember that your tutor is coming today. He should be here any moment''

,,Thanks da- wait he?'' at that exact moment the doorbell was ringing. Since her dad was ready to head to work he opened the door. ,,Dear, your tutor is here'' he yelled through the hallway. ,,Ok, I'm coming'' At the door her father said his goodbyes and left to work.

,,What's up?'' she turned to her teacher. In denial.

,,Jungkook? You're my tutor?''

He just nodded ,,Are you letting me in or what now?'' she pensively stepped back, making way for him to enter. He did, took his shoes off and walked right to the livingroom. ,,So... you're the one who wanted to help me?'' Sun Hi asked hesitantly.

,,I overheard Mrs. Choi saying you'll probably fail. So I volenteer to help you nerd-'' he trailed off.

,,And what's in it for you?''

,,The good conscience that I helped someone'' She sceptically raised a brow. ,,And you can pay me back by tutoring me in math'' Ah...there is the reason. ,,Why do you want me to tutor you so bad? We don't even have classes together''

He just shrugged his shoulders ,,I only want to be tutored by the best''

,,Did Ah ri and Hyun woo reject you?''

,,No anyways... about yesterday. I need to apologize for my parents behavier. I hope it didn't effect you'' she just nodded as a sign of acknowledge ,,Could you get me something to drink'' Jungkook asked. Sun Hi walked to the kitchen, grabbed a water bottle out of the fridge and gave it to him. ,,Thanks Honey'' She rolled her eyes. He doesn't even know my name.

,,I'm Sun Hi not Hani''

,,But you're my honey'' Sun Hi just let out a long sighed. Jungkook noticed the black eye but figured that it must make her uncomfortable and decided to ignore it but he couldn't stop staring.

,,Could we just start the lesson already?''

,,Sure. First thing to know is choosing the beverage'' he held up the cold water bottle she gave him. ,,Cold beverages are a no go'' he said and threw the bottle carelessly on the ground ,,They are bad for the throat whereas warm drinks are approved. But they have to be warm and not brewing hot'' Sun hi eagerly wrote down everything he said. He taught her everything she had to know about how to choose the best beverage. Sun hi stretched her arm to grab two tea cups in the top shelf as they wanted to start with the vocal excercises but Jungkook suddenly stood behind her. Really close and grabbed the cup for her. She turned around. He trapped her in his arms, putting one hand on each side on the kitchen counter and started to lean in. She tilted her head back feeling uncomfortable at the close proximity and pushed him off.,,What are you doing?''

,,Having a bit of fun''

,,I think the tutor session is over''

Ding Dong!

The door bell rang and Sun Hi answered it.

IU stood infront of the door and hugged Sun Hi. ,,I'm so sorry for what I said. It's not true. Please don't be mad at me anymore''

As IU pulled away that was the point were she noticed Sun Hi's black eye. ,,Oh my gosh, what happened to your face?'' she shrieked.

,,IU its ok. I'm sorry too. I-I was just... sad that you said I was easy to replace and thought that you could replace me as a friend just as easy'' Sun hi whispered unsure.

,,Why would you think that? We know each other more than half our life. Now tell me what happened'' Just then IU saw Jungkook walking out, putting his arm around Sun hi.,,Ok I'm heading home'' Sun hi flinched and threw his arm off immediately. IU sceptically glanced between the two of them.

,,What's going on here-'' she was cut by a surprised Jungkook. ,,IU? I didn't know you two were friends'' 

Her gaze fixed on Jungkook.

,,Ok, I see. I won't disrupt you two any longer. I'm off'' IU said.

,,Wait IU'' Sun hi said grabbing her hand. ,,Jungkook just wanted to leave anyway. He is just here because....'' She felt embarrassed for admitting that she is going to fail music so it didn't come right out. She was anticipating her answer which didn't seem to come. ,,Because she in love with me'' Jungkook joked.

,,Did you eat a clown? You keep speaking nonsense'' i unintentionally let out to which IU laughed but she stopped herself soon after.

,,Yeah. then I'll be leaving, honey'' Sun hi rolled her eyes internally. If you want something from Hani bug her not me.

,,Didn't you want to leave?'' Sun hi asked Jungkook who looked bewildered. ,,Mhm yes...?'' It sounded more of a question. ,,But before I forget... Jimin is throwing a party this weekend. You have to come... if you want to pass'' He put his shoes on and left. Sun hi took her keys and together with IU went for a walk around the neighborhood ,,So what was he doing here?''

,,He's... my tutor'' I said softly but IU couldn't understand me. ,,I might fail music class and Mrs. Choi assigned Jungkook to help me''

,,You failed at a subject... ? and then in a subject as music? How is that possible?'' ,,Actually it's the third time I failed her class but to be fair it's the only class I fail'' We talked alot. ,,Hey do you know what Hani's been up to? I didn't see her in school''  Sun hi shook her head and called Hani. Picking her up from home. Hani didn't like them fighing because it would mean she'd have to ,choose' a side so she stayed at home and trained in her home gym.

,,...and then Jungkook invited her to Jimins party'' Hani caught up on everything that was happening. ,,Don't worry, you're not going to fail but I'm not sure about Jungkooks intentions''

,,She's not his type''

,,He's hitting on everything that has two legs and didn't disappear on the count of three'' Hani said.

,,... but it's Sun hi's first invitation to a party. It will also be our first party together besides birthdayparty's'' IU continued as Sun hi wanted to say the exact thing.

,,I'm not intending on going there. I'd rather spend my night alone, reading a good book'' Sun hi said. Her phonevibrated in her pocket signaling that she got a message but before she could read the message IU spoke ,,But you need to go if you want to pass'' IU imitated Jungkook making them smile as IU's voice became all deep. Suddenly her phone rang in her pocket but Sunhi didn't want to destroy the nice atmosphare by checking her phone and decided to answer it later.

,,But is it ok for you that he is tutoring me?

IU answered very quickly ,,Yes, it's fine. I mean there isn't anything going on between you'' ,,Of course not'' ,,I know he would never date someone like you... but why didn't you come to us for help?''

,,Mrs. Choi just called yesterday. I didn't know of it either''

,,And even if... we all know you have quite a temper IU. Remember Sun hi tutoring you in japanese? The only words you said right were swear words, swearing the heck out on Sun hi. And Sun hi didn't even teach you these swear words'' they laughed at the memory. Sun hi was quite embarressed but laughed along a bit awkward.

,,It's six pm already. We should go pick outfits to wear at the party'' IU said walking to the mall.