đŸŒč- 6 - đŸŒč

Wildflower.

Sana walks down the hall to the waiting room. Dahyun must be waiting, she thought. As she turned the corner, however, her body collided with someone. But as soon as Sana smelled the familiar vanilla scent, and the minty breath, she instantly let herself wrap her arms around the other girl. 

Dahyun was surprised, but as soon as she recognized Sana, she wrapped her arms around the latter, tighter than she’s even hugged anyone before. After hearing what she said- and seeing Sana in that state, she couldn’t help it. Dahyun felt her neck get wet, after some time, and realized Sana was crying. She let herself cry, too, as she shared Sana’s pain. 

Dahyun continued rubbing small circles on Sana’s back, whispering in her ear ‘it’s okay,’ and ‘it’ll be okay, you’ll get through this’, because what else could she do? It was enough, for her to comfort Sana like this, because she knew Sana needed it. She didn’t know how long the older girl was holding this in, but she felt it was forever. Sana never had a shoulder to cry on, but now that she did, she didn’t hesitate to let it all out. 

After a while, Sana’s sobs became more soft, quiet. Though, Dahyun still rubbed her back, and hugged her just as tight, if not tighter. It was comforting to the both of them, and they could stay like this forever. Sana broke the silence between them. 

“I... I used to pick flowers with her. Sakura. Every weekend, we’d go out, and we’d only get the prettiest f-flowers. I’d pick them, while she’d watch me. She was so proud, every time I picked one, she’d give me the sweetest look. I knew those moments meant everything to her, because they meant everything to me,” Sana smiled sweetly. Dahyun took this chance and separated them, only enough to be able to look at Sana. They made eye contact, and after a few seconds, Sana continued. “She would tell me amazing stories about those flowers. Fiction, non-fiction, some other type of fiction- I don’t know, but those stories always made my day. They made my week, actually. They made my month. And the flowers- they made my life. The only thing I looked forward to, was picking flowers, showing them to her and having her tell me the meanings of them, and tell me stories,” She finished, looking down, and then burying her head back into Dahyun’s neck, letting the comforting sense calm her, letting her continue. 

“Remember those flowers I had when we met? I picked those, specially for her, when I went flower picking the weekend before. Five flowers. A daisy, a dark, crimson rose, a rosemary, a pink carnation, and a salvia. But they’re not just any flowers,” She stated, finally leaving Dahyun’s neck and looking back at her, with meaningful, dedicated eyes. Eyes that had stars in them. Eyes that were full of life, eyes that glow. 

“A daisy, it means hope. Hope for my future and hope for Nana’s future. I hoped that she’d be okay. I hoped that she’d come back home with me, and we’d go flower picking every weekend like we used to. I hoped that she’d have new, wonderful stories to tell me when we got back, stories she made up while she was in the hospital- beautiful tales. I hoped that she’d get to see me graduate college. I hoped she’d be able to see me get my first real job, get my first real love, get my first house. I hoped many things, and that’s why I got her a daisy. To show her, and me, my hope. My unwavering hope,” Dahyun was amazed at this girl. She had so many beautiful thoughts up in her head, Dahyun found that she wanted to know every single thought the girl had, whether the good, bad, or the ugly. 

“A salvia, it means ‘I think of you’. I got it, of course, to show how she’ll always be in my thoughts, and I hope I’ll always be in hers. See, I grew up without having any love, and Nana was the one who showed me what love was. She gave me all the love she had, and she showed me what was good in this world, and what I could look forward to,” Dahyun couldn’t help feel the same. Dahyun’s life was similar; she also grew up without love, and in a loveless household. All of this hit too close to home for Dahyun, and she wrapped her arms protectively around Sana. 

“A pink carnation, it means I-I'll never forget you,” Sana’s words got choked up. This one hit her hard. Dahyun’s hands found their way to her cheek, hoping to comfort her, and encourage her to continue. And it worked, Sana continued, “I’ll never forget Nana. She’s the one I shared all my good memories with. She’s the one who’s been there for me, when there was absolutely nobody else who would do that. I can never forget her, and I don’t want to forget her. If she leaves, that’d give me the chance to forget her. But I just hope she won’t leave. If she does- I... I’ll think of her, and I won’t forget her. I won’t let myself,” Sana felt tears prick her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away. She was done crying today, she hoped. 

“A rosemary, it means remembrance. Of course, I’ll always remember her. I’ll remember the smells of the flower fields we’d visit. I’d remember her soft scent- of sakura blossoms in the spring. I’d remember sitting by the fireplace, her telling me stories and me falling asleep in her lap. I’d remember her soft voice telling me things will be okay, when things ever got rough. I’d remember feeling comfortable with her and being able to open up to her. I’d remember so many things, Dahyun-ah. So many, and I’ll never forget them.” 

“And finally, a dark, crimson, red rose. It means...” She trailed off, tears finally spilling out of her eyes as she squints, trying to keep the rest at bay. She didn’t want to say it, because if she did, maybe it’d be true. Maybe it’ll come true. But she willed herself to say it. “It means, m-mourning. I don’t want to mourn her; I don’t want to have to mourn her. D-Dahyun-ah...” Sana began crying again, and Dahyun joined her, both holding each other tightly.  

“It’ll be okay, Sana-unnie. You’ll be okay. I’m here for you, just know that I won’t leave you alone,” Dahyun whispered as soft as ever in her ear. Sana felt on cloud nine. Finally, she heard those words she’s been wanting to hear all her life. Someone else was there for her, and she wasn’t alone anymore. She smiled, and now the tears that were spilling on Dahyun’s shirt weren’t as sad anymore. They were now mixed with tears of joy. Sana was so glad that she’d met Dahyun, and she wouldn’t trade this moment for anything. 

Their moment got interrupted when they both heard Momo shouting. “Dahyun-yah! Hurry up, we have to go! It’s been forever and I’m hungry again!”  

Dahyun shook her head, and hesitantly pushed herself slightly away from Sana. She looked at her worriedly, but she was just met with a soft smile. Sana spoke, “It’s okay, Dahyun-ah. I’ll be okay, thank you so, so much. I’m glad I met you.” 

Dahyun blushed, and said, “I am too, unnie. I hope this won’t be the last I’ll see of you,” she trailed, becoming sad at the thought. 

Sana just giggled, and said, “Can I get your phone number then, Dahyun-ah? I promise I’m not a stalker or anything,” her smile widened when Dahyun nodded, laughing, handing her phone to Sana. 

Sana put in her number, and Dahyun said, “I guess I’ll see you soon, yeah Sana-unnie?”  

Sana nodded, her eyes never leaving Dahyun’s as she backed away from her. Dahyun walked into the wall, and she turned around and started walking to avoid the embarrassment she’d see when Sana laughs. But before she could be out of sight, Dahyun quickly turns around, and shyly waves at Sana.  

Sana doesn’t know why, but this made her heart skip a beat.