đŸŒș- 14 -đŸŒș The Deal- Pt. 1

Wildflower.

Sana slammed her door, knocking her shoes off, them flying all the way to who knows where, before bouncing her way to her bedroom. She wasn’t hungry, so she decided to just shower and sleep. She wouldn’t admit it, but today made her tired. It was a good, well actually, great day, but it wore her out. She'd never get used to not wearing her mask around someone. She’d never get used to being herself. 

She hopped into the shower, singing songs happily, belting out note after note, using her shampoo as a microphone, not giving a care in the world. Turns out she probably should have, because not long after her neighbors knocked on her door, giving her a piece of their minds about her loud, but beautiful vocals. 

This didn’t damper her mood, though, seeing as she rushed back to her room after closing the door, issuing out a series of apologies, before letting herself drop down into her bed. She let her tense muscles take a much needed break, relaxing themselves, making her feel like jelly.  

She watched youtube videos for a while until she finally felt her body slowly shutting down, making it hard for her to keep her eyes open in the dark room. She had formed a small headache from staring at the bright screen, but even that couldn’t ruin her mood.  

She shifted in bed after turning her phone off, plugging it into her bedside charging, careful not to brush her freshly tattooed arm against anything. It still itched a lot, but she knew that would happen, so she tried to ignore it. 

Before she could let sleep take her into its warm arms, she heard her phone buzz on the table. She slowly, carefully, moved over on her side, and her phone, eyes squinting, stinging from the sudden bright light. There was a text message. 

She opened the message, and instantly a smile found its way to her face. She read it. 

 

Dahyunnie <3 : hey unnie, this might be sudden since we literally just hung out today but, could you meet me at the park tomorrow? I have something important I wanna talk to you about, if that’s cool? sorry if you’re sleeping, I just had to ask before I uh, forgot.  

Sana’s face turned concerned, as her mind began whirling with overthinking thoughts, each worse the than the previous. Was something wrong? Is she okay? Am I... okay? Did I mess something up? Does she hate me now? Sana couldn’t stop her mind from rushing, and it took this chance to rush as much as it could.  

Unlike Dahyun, Sana was fully aware of her feelings towards the girl. She’d had her fair share of crushes back in school, and though they weren’t serious, she knew the familiar feeling of butterflies, and the familiar skipping of one’s heart. She wasn’t new to that. But she was new to the feelings Dahyun made her feel. Her heart wasn’t skipping beats, it was jogging now, running even. There weren’t butterflies in her stomach anymore, and instead, the butterflies were replaced by a whole zoo, if not a whole population. Basically, she knew she felt that way with Dahyun, but she felt something else with Dahyun. Not normal, but Dahyun just made her feel... what’s the word? She made Sana feel special. Sana didn’t know what to call it. Love? 

She’d heard of love before, mainly from all the gossips and bragging of the girls back in high school who wouldn’t stop talking about how in love they were with their boyfriends. It made Sana feel grossed out, but all the sudden, her view changed. She didn’t feel grossed out anymore by the thought of love. Infact, she hesitantly welcomed it, and if she did love Dahyun, she’d accept that fact with open arms. The only thing is, would Dahyun do the same?  

She knew how hard it was keeping a crush from someone. She knew how hard it was holding onto that, too. She knew she’d have to admit, or else it would eat her up alive, and it’d be too much for the poor girl, adding up everything she’s been going through. 

She then decided, then and there, that she’d admit to her tomorrow before Dahyun could say what she needed to say. If it was indeed something bad, it was better to get it off her chest before she gets discouraged and distracted. 

Sana slowly typed back a reply, deleting and typing back and forth until she was satisfied. 

Sana-unnie: Of course! It’s no worry, really Dahyunnie, I’ll come. Let’s meet up at 5, is that okay? I have schoolwork I need to catch up on, so it works out the best for me, but it’s okay if you can’t, then we can reschedule. 

Dahyunnie <3 : yeah, that works out great actually! I'll meet you there then. see you soon, unnie 

 

Sana put her phone back down, sleep overtaking her, but her thoughts never once drifted away from the pale girl. 

 

--- * --- 

 

Nervousness gripped at Sana’s heart as she snatched up her purse, throwing on a coat and shoving her feet in her shoes before rushing out the door, slamming and locking it behind her. If there was one thing she hated, it was being late. 

Sana ran down the street, her sneakers clacking against the pavement as on-lookers stared. She didn’t pay much mind to them, however, as she continued her trek down the sidewalk towards the park that’s not too far from her. 

Each step she takes, her heart speeds up more and more. And no, it wasn’t all just from running. 

B-dump. 

B-dump. 

B-dump. 

Sana sees dark hair, shining brown in the sun. She sees bright, pale skin glistening with a sheen of sweat from the new temperatures spring had to offer. She saw a daisy in her hand, with five petals surrounding its bright vibrant yellow core. 

Dahyun turned around when she heard fast, rushed footsteps approaching her. As she turns, her hair gets caught in the wind, and Sana is baffled at the sight. She slows her steps, coming to a slow stop, a few feet away from the girl who had caught her attention. Sana looked like a deer caught in headlights, and Dahyun laughed at the image, snapping Sana out of her daze. 

“Hey, unnie,” Dahyun said, a soft smile showing pearly white teeth. Her smile suddenly turned tight lipped, and nervous and tense. Sana nearly caught whiplash but straightened her posture out of habit from when her parents would scold her about being too casual. Dahyun noticed her change of attitude, and quickly changed herself to look more soft. Dahyun sighed, and said, “I’m just gonna spit it out. Look, I-” 

“Dahyun-ah, I like you,” Sana interrupted, shutting her eyes tightly, cheeks puffing in anticipation. Her ears turned red, and she couldn’t look at Dahyun. 

Dahyun instantly smiled, relaxing completely, before she held her hand out for Sana’s. Sana felt her hand, and opened her eyes slowly, staring at Dahyun in question. Dahyun just shook her head and laughed lightly. This was ironic. 

“You want my answer, Sana-unnie,” Dahyun asked, voice soft and quiet, as if being too loud could have broken the insecure girl in front of her. At this point, it really could. 

Sana nodded her head a little too excitedly. She realized, and slowly shook her head, wide eyes glistening, shining like stars though they were in the sun, no stars in sight. Dahyun looked at the ground, before pulling something out from behind her, a hand that was hiding behind her back the whole time. 

She handed the flower gently to Sana, who took it, staring at it, then back at Dahyun. Dahyun noticed her confusion, and said, “That’s my answer. Message me when you understand, okay? I’ll be waiting,” And with that, Dahyun was off again, walking back towards where her dorm was. Sana stared at her back as it slowly got small and smaller, disappearing in the distance eventually, then looked back at the flower. She tilted her head in confusion. Was this some sort of puzzle? I don’t get it. 

Sana slowly trudged her way back to her home, confused, but not defeated. 

 

--- * --- 

When Sana slumped down into her bed, she her bedside lamp, staring at the flower for what seemed like hours. I mean, normally when someone gives someone a flower, that means they like them, right? But what if that’s not the case? It could really mean anything, I mean, Sana has expressed many times how much flowers meant to her, so maybe this was just a gift she was brining with her? It would make sense, Dahyun was a caring person. 

Sana’s mind wandered, going over any and every scenario possible, and every answer she could have thought about. Then her mind wandered back to her elementary and middle school days, when she liked someone. She remembered when she liked someone a lot, she’d always grab a flower, and count its petals. Whatever it lands on, means whether the person liked her back, or not. Sana stared at the flower and began. 

She likes me. She touches one petal. One out of five. 

She likes me not. Sana’s eyebrows twitched, and her frown sunk further. Two out of five. 

She likes me. Sana’s expression changed, almost comically. If she saw herself in third person, she’d probably crack up. She giggles at the thought. Three out of five. 

She likes me... not. Four out of five. 

She hesitates. “She... she likes me. She likes me?! She likes me!” Sana shouts, then grimaces as she remembers she has to be quiet, so she wouldn’t be evicted out of her apartment. “Sorry,” she whispers, before glancing at the flower again. She couldn’t help but feel ecstatic, gently putting the flower on her table, before laying face down into her pillow, smile wider than she’s probably ever felt it before. It kind of hurt, how much she was smiling, but she didn’t mind.  

Sana screamed into her pillow. “She likes me! Kim Dahyun likes me! ME. KIM-FREAKING-DAHYUN likes MINATOZAKI SANA. AHAAAA,” she giggles into the pillow. This all seemed surreal to her, and all she could do was stare at the ceiling dopily, until she calmed down enough to grab her phone from her table and open her messages. 

She decided to be chic and cool while messaging Dahyun.  

Sana-unnie: Meet me tomorrow at the flower field.