✾- 16 -✾

Wildflower.

“Kim Dahyun in love, who thought we’d ever see it,” Chaeyoung jested, patting Dahyun on the back comfortingly when she whined.  

“Chae, I’m not even sure about my feelings yet. I’m just, you know, I mean, I’m pretty sure I like her, but I don’t know if I love her, you know? To be fair, we only just kinda met like, a few weeks ago,” Dahyun corrected, showing a confused face as she thought. She wasn’t lying, she wasn’t sure about her feelings for the girl yet, however she was pretty sure of one thing- that she liked being with Sana, and she wanted to get closer to her. She liked her company, she liked her awkward flirting and dumb jokes, and most importantly, she just liked Sana. 

“I’m surprised it’s moved along so fast. Honestly, you don’t seem like the relationship type of person, you know, with your whole background,” Chaeyoung said, adding at the end, “Also to be frank, you’re really anti-social. Honestly, if it weren’t for me, Momo and Tzuyu, you would’ve never gotten into college because you’d be too nervous to ask for recommendation letters from our teachers,” Chaeyoung pondered, “Wow, now that I think about it, we’re not appreciated enough. You owe us like, everything you have.” 

“Shut up, dude, you can’t speak. I literally encouraged you to get your dream girl, and you treat me like this? The hell man,” Dahyun voiced her frustration, eyebrows furrowing in objection. Chaeyoung stared at her for a minute, in what only could be disbelief, before she spoke. 

“You’re such a hypocrite it’s unbelievable. Are you sick? Have you eaten anything weird?” At Dahyun’s confused look, she continued, “Oh my god, you’re so slow. I helped you get your dream girl, you realize that, right?” 

Dahyun’s mouth opened, then closed again. She turned around, and tried going back to their dorm, since they were in the living room before, Chaeyoung having just gotten home from confessing. Chaeyoung grabbed her arm,  jerking her back, before saying, “Sit down. Let’s have a real talk here, without you being dumb and slow, if that’s cool. Anyways, how did your confession go? You never told me, you were just kinda staring at your ceiling when I came back,” Chaeyoung said calmly, eyes trained on Dahyun’s, trying to read her expression. Dahyun seemed expressionless at first glance, but the more you got to know her, the more you realized just how vast Dahyun’s emotions went, and how confusing and intricate they really got. Dahyun never spoke about herself, something that Sana had only recently found out, but when she did, you realized that the way she spoke and the way her eyes shone were something of another world; something magical.  

Because in Dahyun’s eyes, were pictures of her past, images of the present, and predictions for the future. She had it all, and they never stopped showing up, and she never stopped thinking. Anyone could easily get lost in the void, spending hours, days; even years trying to figure out just what was going on behind them. Figure out just what the girl was thinking, and what the girl had gone through. If Kim Dahyun’s whole person was summed up by one word, nearly everyone would say ‘mysterious’. Or maybe ‘interesting’, at the very least. 

Dahyun thought about this question for a hot second. The confession went well, and from the outside she looked cool, calm and collected. However, what was hidden behind that wall, were her true emotions, and her true feelings. She was a nervous wreck, to say the least. She knew she didn’t regret what she did, and definetly doesn’t regret admitting to Sana, and doesn’t regret liking Sana in the first place. Actually, liking Sana was the best thing she’s ever accidentally done.  

“It was good. Great, actually, but I’m still nervous, I guess,” Dahyun revealed, looking down at her hands self-consciously. Chaeyoung sighed, putting her arm over Dahyun’s shoulder, looking at the ceiling in thought.  

“There’s no need to worry, Dubs. I know what you’re scared of, but you really don’t need to be scared of it. After all, if you’re really not sure, then it’ll all turn out well anyways. What really matters is that you did what you did, and it’s done now, and there’s no going back, and no regrets you need to hold onto. And honestly, with Sana, I think you two would be a really cute couple,” Chaeyoung smiled, but then replied in a deeper tone, her voice nearly shaking the room, not by volume, but by the sheer emotion that it held. “Dahyun, I’ve never seen you like this. I’ve never seen you this cheery. I’ve never seen you crack so many horrible, ty jokes in just one day. I’ve never seen your smile quite reach your eyes before. You may not know it, but I can see it. I can see how you look at her, and how she looks back at you. You smile at her, or whenever her name is just mentioned, and your smile reaches your eyes, teeth and all. I see the way she smiles back at you, eyes curving up with her smile, and the way she actually manages to laugh at your ‘jokes’, which still amazes me,” Chaeyoung stated, putting her hands up in defense when Dahyun shot her a daring glare, “Sorry, sorry, but it’s true! Your jokes and you know it! They used to be funny, but we’re not teenagers anymore, hate to burst your bubble,” Chaeyoung laughed, and Dahyun softened a bit, missing this side of her. If Dahyun was being honest, she really hated tense, serious atmospheres. Chaeyoung knew this, so she tried her best to joke, while still getting her point across. 

Dahyun smiled, leaning back into the sofa, eyes closed, as she took in a breath of air, the air hitting her lungs, easing her anxiousness. “Chae, thanks for the advice, I’ll make sure to research better jokes since you’re such a party pooper,” Dahyun challenged, eyes glinting behind their lids, though the light couldn’t imagine reaching them. Chaeyoung snorted, hitting Dahyun’s shoulder lightly, before telling her to continue. “But for real, thanks for the advice. Not just about the jokes, but I’ll make sure I take what you said into consideration before I actually do this. It’s a big commitment, but for once, I’m open to it. I just really hope that It’ll turn out alright, and if I’m not already in love, I’ll fall for her over time. But somehow, I don’t doubt that’ll happen, because I really, really like her, Chae. Like, you know, like like.” 

Chaeyoung nodded, and was about to continue, but she heard fast footsteps rushing behind her, then looked over to see two hands gripping the couch next to her head. Chaeyoung let out a scream, smacking the intruder. The so called ‘intruder’ let out a groan, hitting the back of Chaeyoung’s head before throwing themself onto the couch in between the two best friends. 

“The hell, Momo?! You nearly gave me a heart attack, my god, learn to knock next time!” Chaeyoung let out a huge sigh, hand over heart heart and everything, before leaning back into the couch, closing her eyes, letting her heartrate return to normal. 

“Sorry, I just- wait, did you say knock? Are you high?” Momo said, confusion lacing her tone, before squinting her eyes at the cub. 

“The hell? It was a joke, relax pabo,” Chaeyoung sighed again, this time resting her head on Tzuyu’s shoulder, who had quietly sat down next to her, opting for a more calm and quiet approach rather than brash and loud, unlike someone. 

“Anyway, I heard Dahyun has a girlfriend,” Momo stated calmly, arms going up and down as she talked, expressing her words. Dahyun’s eyebrow flicked upwards at the insinuation. 

“You mean crush, we’re not dating,” Dahyun frowned, training her gaze back onto the carpet under them, choosing to drown out the noise of the tv as she listened to the conversation. 

“Yet,” Momo finished Dahyun’s sentence. Dahyun groaned, shoving Momo into Chaeyoung, to which Chaeyoung protested, shoving her back into Dahyun’s side. Momo sat there, expressionless as she took it, while Chaeyoung and Dahyun engaged in a small battle, Momo being the offender. 

Tzuyu sighed, saying, “It’s okay Dahyun, we all know you’ll date her today, anyway. Aren’t you going to meet up to properly profess your love for each other or something?”  

Dahyun’s eyebrows shot up, eyes widening. Momo laughed at the sight, clutching her stomach as she doubled over. Chaeyoung stared at the floor, twiddling her thumbs innocently, while Tzuyu just stared at the trio in minor confusion. 

“Who told you that?! Chaeyoung...” Dahyun glared at the cub next to her, her gaze cutting through her side profile. Chaeyoung gulped, slowly turning her eyes to stare at Dahyun’s eyebrows, not being able to meet her firey stare.  

“So it’s not true?” Tzuyu asked, tilting her head, scarily resembling a puppy.  

Dahyun sighed, deciding to tell the truth. She had been doing that a lot more recently, and it even surprised herself what situations she got herself out of when she did decide to tell the truth. Or some situations she got herself into. “No, it is true. I’m seeing her in a couple hours, but I decided to chill out and take a shower first,” Dahyun explained, eyes darting around, a habit she’d formed whenever she’s nervous. Sana had said that it was cute, but Dahyun just saw it as embarrassing, because people could easily figure out when she’s nervous. 

Momo beamed, while Dahyun just looked on anxiously, biting her lip. She could feel the sweat starting to form above her brow, and soon enough it’d fall harmoniously to the floor, joining the rest of the long forgotten puddles she knows she’s responsible for, as the times she’s been in trouble with her friends grows without halt. The second the sweat dropped, she knew she was done for. She’d be uncovered. She hated being under pressure. 

Then, suddenly, and much to Dahyun’s surprise, she didn’t push her interrogation onto the poor tofu, and instead, brought her arm above Dahyun’s head, gently patting it. “I’m proud of you, kid. It’s about time you find your lonely self a girlfriend, actually I think this is the first time I’ve seen you so interested in someone, enough to try to make the first move actually. Now that I think of it, I’m grateful Sana confessed first, she probably knew you’d make a fool out of yourself, you anti-social child,” Momo grinned, eyes shining with admiration, and a little bit of envy. Though she was ecstatic Dahyun had finally moved on from her troll ages, she wouldn’t hesitate to admit she was a little scared for her friend. This would be a big, big change for everyone, and she wasn’t sure if she was ready for that change just yet. But there won’t be even a split second where she won’t support her. 
 

Dahyun was about to refute, however she felt her phone buzz in her pocket against her leg, ringing the same obnoxious tone she and her friends had gotten used to over the years. Though none of them would normally bat an eye at this, the fact that Dahyun didn’t message often, and paired with the fact that she had a date today, all the girls in the room were tense with anxiety, watching intently as Dahyun pulled out her phone almost in slow motion, equally, if not more, expressive than the rest. Even Tzuyu was watching in anticipation, eyes trained firmly on the phone in Dahyun’s hand, and that’s saying something. 

When Dahyun finally unlocked her phone screen after entering a short code, she embarrassedly threw her hand over the screen, shielding it from onlookers, as she had forgotten her home screen was a picture of Sana, ice cream all over her face, grinning like a child who had just been told they were going to Disney world.  

Momo grabbed the phone from Dahyun’s hands before she could react, as she was too embarrassed to, and opened the messages. The two other girls gathered around her, circling the phone, each curiously gazing at the device. If phones could sweat, this phone would probably be drenched. 

Momo saw the cause of the notification; it was a message from Sana. Momo read it out loud.  

“I’ll be at the park in half in hour, I’ll see you soon, bring comfy clothes.”