Chapter 24

To The Beautiful You - My Version

Seol Han Na’s POV (The next day, in classroom 201 of Serin Girls' High)

Ever since oppa used the Lotte’s World tickets I got for the both of us on Krystal, I was boiling with rage inside. Instead of enjoying the vacation, I could hardly wait for it to be over so that I could exact my revenge on that .

Vengeance is the sweetest when you hit it where it hurts the most. In half an hour’s time, we would be having our Mathematics test. The gist of the plan was to frame Krystal for cheating by sticking some math notes under her desk. Being an ace in the subject and a model student, nothing could be more humiliating than being caught in an act of dishonesty.

“Luckily Krystal isn’t too early today. That gives us more time to set things up properly,” Fan Girl A said.

“The later she comes, the less likely it is for her to sense that something is amiss,” Fan Girl B analysed.

“Hmm… Sulli isn’t here either, which is a good thing. She’s always getting in our way.”

“Exactly. Do you have extra tapes left? I want to stick some notes under her desk too. She needs to pay for roughing me up at the stadium yesterday. What do you think, Han Na?”

“By all means. Krystal’s friend is also my enemy,” I wonder what’s going on in that girl’s head. She had a tendency to tread the unpopular path. While it looked as if heaven was on our side for executing our plan, I did feel a little uneasy that Sulli and Krystal were still not here. Normally, Krystal would be the first one to reach the classroom. I wondered where they were.

Sulli’s POV (Staff Room of Serin Girls' High)

“Time’s up, are you girls done?”

“Ye, seon saeng nim,” Soo Jung and I handed in our papers to the teacher, “We are waiting for you to tell us that.”

“Oh? Both of you sound really confident. Have I set the questions too easy? Maybe I should make them more difficult next time.”

“An dwae! This is good enough,” I protested, “If the questions are too hard and we fail, it doesn’t reflect very well on you either. On the other hand, if you make all your test easy, we get to do well and you have less to answer to the principal later on. It’s a win-win situation.”

“That’s a sophistry, Sulli,” the teacher smiled at me.

“Sophis what?” I gave a blank look.

“Sophistry is a deliberately invalid argument displaying ingenuity in reasoning in the hope of deceiving someone,” Soo Jung explained.

“Ah… I’ve learnt something new today. Kumapta, seon saeng nim and Jungie!”

“No problem. Krystal, here’s your permit for early dismissal today.”

“Gamsahamnida, seon saeng nim,” Soo Jung replied. Today was Krystal’s grandmother’s birthday. As her grandmother lived very far away from Seoul, Krystal would usually take a leave of absence on this day. However, this year, it coincided with a test. Hence she took it earlier than the rest of the class, so that she could celebrate her grandmother’s birthday without missing the paper. I took it with her because…

“On your way out, do not text any hints to your classmates, understand?”

“Don’t worry about that. I’m not close to them. Besides my only close friend has taken the test as well.”

“Even after a year and a half, they are still ostracising you?” the teacher patted Krystal’s shoulder.

“Gwenchana. I have Ssul. One Sulli triumphs over the rest of Serin High’s population put together,” Soo Jung’s comment painted my cheeks shades of pink, “I feel kind of bad dragging her down this lonely path with me though.”

“Don’t feel bad at all. The other girls are a waste of time anyway. I’m grateful that it is you by my side instead,” I turned to smile at Soo Jung.

“Oooh… so mushy… like a lovey-dovey couple,” the teacher shuddered, “Anyway I need to go to class now. See you tomorrow, Krystal. Sulli, follow me.”

“Why? I have finished the test. There’s nothing else for me to do in class,” I asked.

“Yes there are. You can assist me with invigilation. Meanwhile help me to carry the test papers and the notes for the next chapter to the class.”

I gaped at the huge stack of notes that was to be distributed to the rest of the class.

Seol Han Na’s POV (In classroom 201)

Something did not feel right when I saw the teacher entering the classroom with Sulli tagging behind. Krystal was still nowhere in sight. Out of curiosity, I raised my question, “Seon saeng nim, that bi… I mean Krystal, isn’t here yet.”

“Oh, she was granted early dismissal to celebrate her grandmother’s birthday. As for the test, she had taken it an hour ago, with Sulli. Sulli, can you please help me to distribute the papers?”

“Ye, seon seang nim.”

My spirit plummeted on watching my revenge attempt fizzled into anti-. As I stared at Krystal’s empty desk, I could feel it gloating, telling me “Catch me if you can.” If I was boiling with rage before, now I could erupt like a volcano. For the next hour, I was so consumed by my anger that I could hardly recall what I had studied. I felt like I was tested on Greek instead of Math. Anyway, the torture did not last very long and soon it was time to hand in our answers script.

“Gee… the teacher seems to be able to read my mind. Whatever I memorised did not come out and vice versa,” Fan Girl A whined.

“Me too. Looks like I’m going to fail this time,” Fan Girl B complained.

“Both of you should have moved to my desk and Krystal’s,” Sulli walked past them while collecting the papers, “There are some Math notes stuck underneath. I’m sure they would have been VERY helpful in times like this.”

“How do you know…”

Sulli simply shrugged and laughed her way towards the teacher’s table.