Chapter 5

To The Beautiful You - My Version

Krystal’s POV (Outside of Serin Girls’ High)

Since that eventful day at ABC Steak House, the four of us had grown closer. While in school, Sulli and I still had only each other, but once school was out, our social circle had widened to include Eun Gyeol and Jae Hee.

“So has he confessed?” I had lost count on the number of times Sulli asked this question.

“Nope,” I answered nonchalantly. Honestly, I didn’t care.

“Oh…”

“Yah! Why do you sound so disappointed? Are you trying to get rid of me because I am getting in the way between you and your husband Jae Hee?” I pretended to feel offended.

“What?!” it became Sulli’s turn to feel embarrassed. “I am hanging out with him solely for the sake of the future of you and Eun Gyeol, because the two of you are too shy to be alone.”

“THANK YOU for your concern, with inverted commas,” and that earned me a gentle punch on my shoulder from Sulli.

“Come to think of it, Jae Hee is quite a good catch. He is good-looking, excels academically, and comes from a rich family. Are you sure you don’t even show an ounce of interest?” I tried to change the topic.

“Ah, I get it! You are more interested in Eun Gyeol’s best friend,” Sulli poked my cheek and I blushed at the contact. “See you are blushing.”

“No, it’s not about that… Ahhhhh… Nevermind,” I picked up my pace towards Genie High.

“Hey wait for me!”

Genie High was holding its annual fair to raise funds for the school. On this special day, the usually heavily guarded school was opened to the public, much to the delight of the male-deprived students from my school. Last year, Sulli and I gave this event a miss. This year, however, we attended to lend support for our two new friends. Amidst the crowd of flower boys in fanciful costumes handing out flyers to promote their stalls, Sulli spotted a white tiger mascot. Drawn to its cuteness, Sulli ran towards the costumed character like an excited child.

“Kyeopta… May I take a picture with you, Mr Tiger?” Sulli pouted.

Upon seeing Sulli, the “tiger” removed its gigantic head to reveal Eun Gyeol. “Anyeong, Sulli. Anyeong Krystal.”

“Anyeong Eun Gyeol!” we greeted together.

“It must be real stuffy inside this costume,” I felt sorry for Eun Gyeol.

“You’re right. I thought I am going to suffocate. Luckily I have given out all the flyers, now I can finally get out of it,” Eun Gyeol complained.

“No don’t. Can I take pictures with you dressed as the tiger? It’s so cute,” Sulli was still smitten with the mascot.

“No problem. But can we do it inside the air-conditioned building? It’s really hot out here.”

“Where’s Jae Hee? Why isn’t he helping you?” I asked after we have taken a group photo.

“Ah! Jae Hee is given the most important task…”

Jae Hee’s POV (In a changing room)

Donning a long hair wig and a skimpy maid’s uniform, I was voted by my class to be the cross-dressing model. It was part of the promotional activities for our stall, which sold waffles. Anyone who spent 10,000 won or more had a chance to pose a picture with a khot mi nam in maid’s uniform. Jong Min, the drag queen of our class, suggested this idea in the hope that he got to crossdress “legally”. Much to his dismay, and mine as well, I won the majority of the votes.

Flashback (Jae Hee’s classroom)
“Yah! Since Jong Min wants to wear a dress that badly, then let him do it. Why bother with the voting?” I protested.

“For this idea to work, the model has to be pretty like a girl. Who else does it better than you?” the class monitor lifted my chin up with his fingertip.

“Jae Hee only looks pretty on the exterior. He lacks the internal beauty and feminine grace of one,” jealous Jong Min applied lip gloss on his lips vigorously.

“I am more than happy not to possess those things,” I scowled.

Present…
Sometimes I wondered how Jong Min could act girly that unabashedly. My effeminate look had been the source of my self-consciousness. It did not help that my so-called androgyny was constantly being exploited for fanservice. In the end, I gave in to the force of peer pressure, and here I was disguised as a girl for the day.

As I stared at my lightly make-up reflection in the mirror, I suddenly remembered her…

Flashback (Orphanage)…
“Hang on in there. When I grow older, I shall bring you out of this horrid place!” I promised, for the thousandth time.

“Erm. I will wait for that day to come. Till then, please stay by my side. I am scared to be alone. Pinky promise,” she linked her last finger with mine and I reciprocated. She never stopped believing in me.

Present…
However, I was later forced to leave her behind when a couple chose to adopt me. Before I left I promised I would come back for her as soon as possible. That again became a lie as the couple turned out to be American Koreans. As the physical distance between us grew, so did my guilt.

“I wonder how you are doing now,” I asked my reflection in the mirror. Now that I’m finally back in Korea, I must find her.