Chapter 19

To The Beautiful You - My Version

Author’s POV

At the end of the day, Sulli had a sudden impulse to experience a motorcycle ride. Hence they were separated into two pairs much like their first blind date, except that the combination had changed.

Eun Gyeol’s POV

“I didn’t know you like riding on motorcycles,” I relished the sensation of having Sulli’s arms around my waist, “I can take you for a spin whenever you feel like it.”

“Well… actually… I’m sorry,” Sulli hesitated for a while, “Do you like Krystal also? As in romantically?”

“Why do you think that way?” I wondered why Krystal was even brought up for discussion.

“The truth is I am trying to create an opportunity for Krystal and my unnie to be together. If you also like Krystal that way, then I have let you down big time,” Sulli sounded apologetic.

“It’s funny to hear you call Jae Hee unnie,” I laughed.

“I intend to reserve the word ‘oppa’ for Krystal to call my bro. That way it will sound more special…”

“You have a unique perception of things,” I studied Sulli’s reflection in the rear view mirror more intensely.

“So forgive my blood for being thicker than water this time, will you?”

“Why are you even seeking forgiveness? In fact why do you think that all the guys are only interested in Krystal? What about yourself?”

“Maybe I have grown used to being disliked by people. It had always been this way, whether it was in the orphanage I grew up in, or my school. Therefore I am contented as long as I can meet people who do not hate me, like my adopted family or you guys.”

Sulli, or Jin Ri, you have no idea how attractive you are, that your presence alone is enough for the hearts of people, mine at least, to palpitate.

“Thank you for sending me home.”

We had reached the gate of Sulli’s home. For once I did not appreciate the speed of my motorcycle. Before she pressed the security code, I grabbed her hand to stop her.

“Erm Sulli, I have something to tell you.”

Jae Hee’s POV

Here I was, with Krystal, just the two of us. That is, if you did not count the passers-by.

Jin Ri deliberately dragged Eun Gyeol away to create a private space for something to blossom between me and Krystal. While this was not the first time Krystal and I were alone together, my nervousness had grew with my heightened awareness of my infatuation for her. Whether I should be grateful to my sister or not remained to be seen.

“I kinda like the ending to this story,” Krystal broke the silence first, much to my relief.

“Eh? Which story?”

“The one you fabricated to ‘rescue’ me from Tae Joon a few days ago.”

(Please re-read chapter 10 if you need a refresher)

“Wow! You have a good memory there,” I even recalled how calculative she could get.

“You were right about your plan not being as exciting as Lotte World.”

“Oh…”

“All that playing of Sherlock Holmes to solve the mystery of your missing twin, with some genuine supernatural encounters thrown in, how could Lotte World compare to this? Your plan is not as exciting as Lotte World, it is WAY more exciting!” Krystal jumped with excitement.

I liked the way Krystal played with words so intelligently. I liked Krystal’s enthusiasm when she got excited about something. I liked everything about Krystal. I liked…

“Erm Krystal, I have something to tell you.”

Author’s POV

Two different places
At the same time of the day
Two different people
Have the same thing to say

Eun Gyeol to Sulli / Jae Hee to Krystal :
“Nanun joahe. (I like you)”
......

Eun Gyeol's POV

Sulli was stunned by my confession.

“Are you pulling my leg? I… I won’t fall for it,” Sulli removed her hand from mine. Being a gentleman, I did not hold on to it.

“I’m serious. I really like you, as real as… Jin Ri (真理, truth),” I was no longer thinking straight.

“What? That’s lame! Hahaha…”

“But you are laughing. That means you find it funny.”

Sulli stopped laughing immediately. “No, I don’t,” she folded her arms and pretended to look at the sky.

“This is what I was trying to tell you just now,” I spoke seriously so that Sulli would stop thinking that I was joking with her, “You don’t have to feel bad about pulling me away from Krystal. It is you that I like. I am happy to be spending this moment just with you, and I hope to do that more often.”

Sulli’s line of sight returned to meet mine, with greater intensity than before, as if to contemplate what I had just said.

“Oh! Isn’t that Eun Gyeol?” Tiffany-si, Sulli’s foster mother appeared out of the blue, hand in hand with a very tall man.

“Appa, umma.”

“Anyenghaseyo, ahjussi, ah… ahjunma,” upon learning the identity of the man, I quickly bowed, “It’s late, so I brought…”

“You don’t have to explain, I understand,” Tiffany-si cut me off, “My baby bunny has grown up, so it’s normal to start dating boys.”

“Appa is so busy with work that I didn’t realise you have grown so tall already,” he raised his hand on top of Tiffany’s head, “Even taller than you my dear.”

“Just like you hubby,” Tiffany cooed. Suddenly her expression darkened, “Wait a minute. Are you hiding something from me? A secret love child with someone else? I remember Sulli’s original surname was also Choi.”

“I should be the one asking that question. She has your eye smile…”

“Not again…” Sulli face palmed. Then she pushed me away, “I apologise for making you witness such an embarrassing scene.”

“Are they okay?” I asked worriedly.

“It is one of their usual playful banter. I will deal with them. You go home first. See ya.”

“Good night,” I held back my laughter as I saw Sulli pushing her parents back into the house. What an adorable family.

Jae Hee's POV

After my confession, Krystal’s feline eyes grew wide with shock. An electric shock indeed. For a while, there was nothing but silence between us, not a positive reaction I guessed. Perhaps I should start bracing myself for rejection.

“What was I thinking? Even an ideal guy like Kang Tae Joon fails to win your heart, what makes me think an ordinary guy like myself can do any better,” I attempted to diffuse the awkwardness, “Regardless, my confession contains my heartfelt words. Even if you don’t feel the same way, please do not feel burdened by them. I just want to be honest with…”

“Why do you have to do this to me?” Krystal suddenly cut me off.

“What did I…” her question left me confused, “If I had offended you in any way, miyananda.”

“No don’t apologise. The problem lies with me actually,” she bit her lips slightly before continuing, “All the little things that you do, like when you smile, or laugh, send shiver down my spine. Your nearness does make my heart flutter, so I can’t say I feel nothing for you.”

I felt a rush of blood up my face as optimism crept in slowly.

“Then what is the problem you mentioned all about?”

“Well... since things have come to this, I need to be honest with you too,” Krystal bit her lips again. That was her way of dealing with nervousness I guessed.

“I have a tremendous crush on Sulli, your sister.”

Those words dropped on my head like a bombshell. Then I recalled what my sister told me a while ago at Baskin Robbins.

Flashback…
“You don’t have to pretend in front of me. I can feel your love for Soo Jung too,” Sulli placed her palm on her chest, “I’m your twin, remember?”

I knew Jin Ri was not fighting with me. Still I couldn’t help feeling jealous of the very sister I would gladly lay down my life to protect. What a weird turn of event!

“Jae Hee, you look and behave very much like Sulli. Although your presence stirred up my feelings, I am not sure if it is due to you, or the fact that you remind me of Sulli. Before I can accept your feeling, I need to sort out mine first.”

“Does my sister know about the way you feel for her?”

“I don’t have the courage to tell her. A far as I know, she is straight. I don’t want to risk losing her even as a friend,” Krystal replied sadly. I was tempted to put my arms around Krystal’s shoulder to comfort her, but ended up clenching my fist into a manner hand instead.

“I left Jin Ri when we were still kids. When it comes to the love department, I have no idea what kind of gu… I mean person, she likes. Therefore I can’t help you much here.”

“It’s okay. You have no obligation to help me. But can you promise me one thing?”

“What is it?”

“Let the conversation we just had stay between the two of us. Don’t breathe a word to anyone, especially Sulli,” Krystal pleaded.

“No problem, but you must also promise me something.”

“Are you taking the opportunity to blackmail me?” Krystal frowned.

“Yeah! Why not?” I winked mischievously, “Don’t shoulder all these problems alone. Remember I am on your side. Always.”

Rejection was a bitter pill to swallow, but I did not want to lose Krystal even as a friend either.