Chapter 18

To The Beautiful You - My Version

Author’s POV (At Baskin Robbins)

“Miss Jung, would you like to serve the cake now?” the waitress asked.

“Yes, please. Thank you.”

“Wow, you even ordered a cake?” Sulli asked happily.

“Of course, no celebration is complete without one,” Eun Gyeol grinned brightly.

“Did you order the football-shaped cake we saw at the display? That would be very appropriate for the occasion,” Jae Hee pointed at the display case.



Krystal and Eun Gyeol sweat dropped on hearing that. “It’s a surprise.”

The suspense did not last for long as the waitress quickly reappeared with the ice-cream cake.



“Whoa! This is literally an ice-cream cake,” Jae Hee was impressed with the creativity.

“The clowns look so cute and… ice-creamy. I can’t wait to dig in,” Sulli picked up her fork and spoon in a ready-to-eat pose.

“I’m glad you like it. Your oppa told me that you like ice cream a lot,” Krystal decided to reveal the truth, “Choi Jin Ri.”

Sulli’s expression turned serious immediately on hearing that name, “How… did you know about that name?”

“Your oppa told me. Right, Choi Jin Hee?” Krystal looked towards a dumbstruck Jae Hee.

“Are you really Jin Ri?” Jae Hee could not believe his eyes. Sulli nodded her head slowly. They may have known each other for months, but for the very first time, they realised that looking at the other half was like looking at their own mirror reflection.

“I’m amazed!” Eun Gyeol facepalmed, “Aren’t you both aware of how alike the two of you look?”

“I don’t pay much attention to…” Sulli and Jae Hee pointed their finger at each other simultaneously.

“Jae Hee, Jin Hee, or whatever Hee, you must be looking for someone with buck teeth,” Krystal reasoned.

“That’s right! Jin Ri, did you go for plastic surgery that is so popular in Korea? Without your buck teeth, I can’t even recognise you.”

“Yah! I don’t look that bad. All I need is braces,” not willing to let her oppa get away with the insult, Sulli continued, “I didn’t know the -change operation is famous in U.S., turning my oppa into an unnie. No wonder I can’t recognise you either.”

“I am still a male! Hey Eun Gyeol, you have seen my body many times, didn’t you? Tell her that.”

“It’s all right. Spare me the sleazy details of what goes on behind the doors of your dorm,” Sulli brushed it off, “Whatever it is, I’m glad to see you again, UNNIE!”

“Why am I even so determined to look for you?” Jae Hee sighed regrettably.

“I was expecting this reunion between the two long-lost twins to be a tearful and touching one, overwhelmed with longing emotions. The reality was the total opposite,” Eun Gyeol whispered to Krystal.

Krystal chuckled. “They may not show it openly, but I can tell that deep down, they really miss each other.”

“Is that so? That’s so heartwarming,” Eun Gyeol smiled.

“Erm… please excuse me, I need to go to the ladies for a while,” Krystal suddenly stood up. She gestured Eun Gyeol to do the same so as to give Jae Hee and Sulli some private moments together.

“Me too,” Eun Gyeol caught the cue and acted accordingly.

“You need to go to the ladies too?” Jae Hee teased Eun Gyeol.

“I mean I need the restroom too. Why do you always have to catch these trivial English mistakes?” Eun Gyeol pouted.

“Do you want me to go with you, Jung?” Sulli offered.

“No, thanks,” Krystal lowered herself to Sulli’s ear level and whispered, “Spend some time with your oppa while we are away. See you later.”

When Krystal and Eun Gyeol were gone, Jae Hee initiated the conversation, “I’m sorry. I took so long to find you. You must have suffered a lot while I’m away.”

“Not really,” Sulli smiled, “You suffered more when you were with me. I had been a burden to carry around, hadn’t I?”

“Nonsense! I have never thought that way. Whenever they bully or taunt you, I can feel your pain too,” Jae Hee placed his palm on his chest, “I’m your twin, remember?”

“But I’m different now. I have grown stronger, so you do not have to worry about me anymore. See?” Sulli flexed her imaginary muscle.

“You mean fats?” Jae Hee scorned.

“UNNIE!”

“Stop calling me unnie! I’m a GUY, so it’s OPPA! OPPA!”

Sulli was amused by how a single word could agitate her oppa. “Honestly speaking, won’t you like it more if Soo Jung is the one calling you oppa?”

“What has Krystal got to do with this? Besides she isn’t my sister, why would she call me oppa?” Jae Hee diverted his eyes shyly.

“Aren’t you glad she isn’t? That way the two of you can…” Sulli flashed two thumbs-up and brought both her thumbs to meet each other.

“You are full of BS today,” Jae Hee mumbled.

“You don’t have to pretend in front of me. I can feel your love for Soo Jung too,” Sulli placed her palm on her chest, “I’m your twin, remember?”

“Hi we are back,” Krystal and Eun Gyeol returned to their seats. Jae Hee blushed madly, causing Sulli to giggle.

“Did we come back too soon?” Krystal noticed the awkwardness.

“Not at all. In fact, someone is hoping that you would return sooner,” Sulli said.

“Who?”

“It’s a secret,” Sulli decided to give her oppa a break.

“Secret? Again? What else are you keeping from me?” Krystal sounded like a wife interrogating a cheating husband.

“Eh?” Sulli was clueless about why Krystal was upset.

“Isn’t Krystal your BFF?” although Eun Gyeol knew the real reason behind it, he had to be discreet, “However she did not know a lot of things about you, especially your childhood.”

“Well… some of them were quite… you know… embarrassing…” Sulli stuttered.

“I see. To be fair, all of us have something we don’t wish anyone to know about. So Krystal, be understanding. I’m sure you have secrets that you don’t want Sul… Ouch!” Eun Gyeol was painfully interrupted by Krystal’s heel.

“Gwenchana?” Sulli and Jae Hee asked in unison.

“Ah…hahaha… I accidentally step on my own foot…” Eun Gyeol felt intimidated by Krystal’s you-tell-mine-and-I’ll-tell-yours glare.

“Be careful! You have an important match coming soon!” then Jae Hee turned to Sulli, “You don’t have to reveal every details about your life, but how did you escape from the fire at Angels’ Orphanage? Ahjussi was looking for you.”

“Which ahjussi?”

“Tae Woo ahjussi. We met him the day before when we were looking for you.”

“You saw him the day before? Are you sure it’s him?” Sulli eyed Jae Hee suspiciously.

“Of course, we even talked. He was the one who told us about the fire that happened years ago.”

“His crippled condition hindered his effort in finding you back then. He felt really bad about it,” Krystal added, “Ssul, you should visit him so that he can put his mind at ease.”

“So that he can rest in peace you mean?”

“Choi Jin Ri, this isn’t funny,” Jae Hee reprimanded his sister.

“Unnie, jokes about talking to someone who has passed away aren’t funny either,” Sulli rebutted.

“I am not joking. Krystal was there too,” Jae Hee no longer bothered to correct his sister.

“Jae Hee, remember?” Krystal’s lips started to quiver as she spoke next, “Ahjussi’s hands were abnormally cold, even for someone with flu.”