Chapter 20

To The Beautiful You - My Version

Krystal’s POV (At her home)

Despite having a long day, I had trouble going to sleep. My mind was preoccupied with Jae Hee.

Frankly speaking, I was tempted to accept Jae Hee. Jae Hee had everything that I liked about Sulli. He had Sulli’s looks. He had Sulli’s eye smile (Kyaaa!). He had Sulli’s laughter. He… yes, Jae Hee’s a “He” (Pun intended), so I did not have to deal with LGBT associated stigmas. However I had to be fair to him. If I decided to be with Jae Hee, it’s because I truly love him, not because I was using him as Sulli’s substitute.

“Riiiiing…” my mobile phone rang. Speak of the devil, or rather his twin.

“Yeoboseyo, Ssul.”

“Yeoboseyo, Jjung. Sorry to call at this time. Are you asleep?”

“If I’m asleep, how can I answer your call?”

“Oh ya! I’m such a pabo.”

I chuckled. “So what’s preventing my dear Ssul from entering into La La Land?”

“Hmm… … you.”

“Orh?” the Choi twins were experts in messing with my heart.

“What do you think of my unnie?”

“Your unnie? You mean Jae Hee?”

“Yeah! Did he tell you about how he feels?”

Sulli seemed to know what was going on. Did Jae Hee betray me? “Did your brother call you to tell you… something?”

“Nah! I have to call him. He sounded upset and a little cold towards me. If I want to know anything, I have to ask you personally. That’s what he told me.”

Had I become the wedge that drove the twins apart? “I’m sorry, he treated you this way…”

“What are you apologising for? I think I’m the one being a little too mean to call him unnie. It hurt his manly pride.”

Aww… Sulli’s innocence never fails to melt my heart.

“All of a sudden, he told me he likes me. I don’t know how to react,” and then there were other issues…

“Hmm… I thought you like him all along, considering how you sang praises of him quite some time back.”

“When did I do that?”

Flashback… (Chapter 5)
“Come to think of it, Jae Hee is quite a good catch. He is good-looking, excels academically, and comes from a rich family. Are you sure you don’t even show an ounce of interest?”

“Oh that… I was trying to match make you and him, so I have to make him look good. Anyway thank goodness it didn’t work out.”

“Hahaha. That’s because you are the one he likes. We are twins, so sometimes I can feel the things he feel. I thought I’m doing both of you a favour, but it seemed like I am doing more harm than good. Miyanae, for being too nosy.”

“Don’t say that. Your so-called nosiness isn’t always a bad thing. Like how you stepped in to protect me from Seol Han Na’s prank, or how you stood on my side when the whole school was against me, even though none of which is your business. Come to think of it, I have yet to say something to you.”

“What is it?”

“Kumawo… for coming into my life.”

“I’m blushing already. You make it sound like I’m such a great person... Actually I should be the one thanking you. I don’t have many friends myself, because I have problem trusting people. Whenever people want to befriend me, I can’t help but suspect that they are hiding a knife behind their back, ready to stab me when I’m not looking.”

I suddenly recalled Jae Hee’s story (Chapter 13) about how Sulli was tricked and got locked up in a shed. That incident must have scarred her badly. Tears started to well up in my eyes just thinking about it.

“But after knowing you, I slowly begin to trust people again. And by protecting you against Seol Han Na and her cronies, it makes me feel empowered and useful. Therefore, I am the one gaining from you. Kumawo, Jjungie.”

“You and Jae Hee are like two peas in a pod.”

“Hehe. Based on my memories of him, he is a really sweet and protective person. Unfortunately he looks feminine like me, which doesn’t do justice to his true character.”

Is looking like you really a bad thing? I thought as my eyes followed the rhythm of the flickering lights emitted by the LED hand bangle on my wrist.

“Hey I’ve told you about me and Jae Hee. Now it’s your turn to tell me about you and Eun Gyeol.”

“Wha… what about us?”

“You were together with him just now, weren’t you? Did anything interesting happen?”

“Ah! I’m feeling sleepy. Good night,” Sulli quickly hanged up the phone. Why did she get flustered over such an innocent question?

Eun Gyeol's POV (The next day)

“What do you get after an almond died?” I asked Jae Hee in the middle of our project.

“Diamond (Die almond)?” Jae Hee answered instantly.

“Correct. Is that funny?”

“The long bone in my upper arm is funnier.”

“Why?”

“Because it's humorous (humerus) inside.”

“Huh?”

“What huh? Did you devote all your time on 4 Minutes that you’ve forgotten to study for our upcoming biology test?”

“Oh ya! The funny bone. That’s a good one. I must note that down.”

“What for? It has nothing to do with our project.”

“Sulli likes guys that make her laugh. That reminds me. I need your permission on something,” I suddenly remembered that Jae Hee was Sulli’s oppa.

“What?” Jae Hee opened his bottle to drink some water.

“I am in love with Sulli. So may I have your permission to date your sister?”

On hearing that, Jae Hee choked on his water and got into rounds of coughing fits.

“Ahh! Miyanae! Miyanae!” I patted his back to soothe his cough.

“It’s all right. I’m just surprised. Anyway I don’t wish to be an autocratic brother. The permission that you need most is my sister’s. Have you confessed?”

“Yes. I confessed yesterday after we split up.”

“Cool. Did she accept it then?”

“I don’t know. Before she answered, her parents returned. But her foster mother seemed to approve of me,” I replied optimistically.

“Good for you. As long as my sister’s feeling is mutual, I wish both of you all the best.”

“Thank you, hyungnim,” I could feel my approval rating heading north, “So how’s thing going on between you and Krystal?”

“How did you know?”

“Sulli told me about how she purposely got me out of the way so that you and Krystal can…”

“Wow! My sister is getting really comfortable with you, isn’t she? Even my secret…”

“Don’t misunderstand her! She just want to check if I am in love with Krystal also. Isn’t that nice, that we like different girls?” fighting with a buddy over the same girl was the last thing I needed.

“I guess so. But that doesn’t mean I have no rival,” Jae Hee sulked.

“Oh I get it! It sounded weird but you have your sister to contend with.”

Wait a minute, I wasn’t spared from the competition either. That made Krystal my rival. Considering that Sulli had yet to accept me as her boyfriend, my position was far from secured.

“You seemed to know a lot of things, don’t you?” Jae Hee eyed me suspiciously.

“Ah… did I accidentally let the cat out of the bag? I promise Krystal…” I slapped my mouth wildly.

“Don’t worry. Krystal admitted that herself, so it’s not your fault. But I’m really surprised she told you as well.”

“Well… remember? I knew her first online. She confided with me.”

“Orh? Since when did you become an expert on LGBT issues that she actually asked you for advices?” Jae Hee took another drink from his bottle.

Argh! Me and my pabo big mouth. Just when I thought I could hide some unglamorous stuff forever in the closet.

“Back then, I had a crush on… you.”

Splash! Jae Hee spitted the water in my face.

“Yah! What was that for?”

“When I’m drinking water, do not tell me shocking stuff,” Jae Hee was trying to calm himself down.

“Of course not! I’ve learnt my lesson.”

“But you are kidding, aren’t you?” Jae Hee gave me a bewildered stare.

“I wished I was, but there really was a period of time when you got me all hot and bothered. Coincidentally, Krystal was crushing on Sulli. That’s how we became friends,” when I noticed Jae Hee’s uncomfortable expression, I quickly reassured him, “But that was in the past. I had passed that phase, thanks to Sulli.”

“Wait a minute, I need to take back my words. I don’t think I can approve of you and my sister together. How can I be sure you aren’t treating her as a substitute of…”Jae Hee gulped, “Me.”

“Please… hyungnim… I really love Sulli…” I pleaded with puppy eyes.

“NO!” Jae folded his arms and pouted, “Being jealous of Jin Ri is one thing. She’s my sister after all, so as her oppa, I have to protect her from potential scums and erts like you.”

“ert?”

“Oh, what was I thinking? I have actually allowed Jin Ri to be alone with a guy who indulges in . I have better warned her like… NOW…” Jae Hee picked up his mobile phone.

“No wait! Why everyone thinks I’m a maniac?”

“It’s written all over your face.”

I got up from my seat, made my way behind Jae Hee and back hugged him. “If I can’t be with Sulli, then I have to continue loving you, using you as Sulli’s substitute.”

“Yah! What are you doing?!” Jae Hee struggled to push me away, but I clung on stubbornly, like the tentacles of an octopus.

“Please… hyungnim… I really love Sulli… or at least let me love you.”

“Fine… fine… you can be with her. Just let go of me!”

“Gamsahamnida,” I smiled widely.

“But if you hurt even a single hair on Jin Ri, I shall grind your bones to dust,” Jae Hee punched my ribcage, and I crouched down in pain.

“Araseo, hyungnim…”

How did the four of us get entangled in this odd shaped polygonal love?