Blanket pt. 2

Night Encounter

A week had passed – the final exams week was finally over for Winter. Tomorrow she's finally going to be free. Feeling contented, she dropped herself onto her bed with her hands spread freely.

Accidentally one of her hands caught a soft material. She glanced towards her hand, only to gasp in horror.

She totally forgot about the blanket that the Jimin girl had lent her last week. Last week. Last week! Oh my god. She's so going to kill me…

"But wait, if we really go to the same university, why I never met her, nor she searched for me though?" But the thought of meeting the older girl after forgetting to return the blanket after a week now gave her shivers down her spine. She wondered if she could survive the older girl's intense stare, worse, her glare.

Abruptly checking the time on her phone screen, Winter dashed out after grabbing her jacket and some coins, and the most important thing – the blanket. Her blanket.

It was around 9 in the evening when Winter took the elevator and went down straight to the floor where she could find the coin laundry shop.

She sighed in relief as the shop wasn't occupied with so many people. It's Friday night actually… no wonder.

Usually, it would be her nightmare to wash her clothes at this hour during weekdays as some college students in her apartment environment –especially guys– tend to wash their clothes late at night. But since it's Friday, everyone seemed too busy to party or rest.

Winter stepped inside the not so big yet not so small laundry shop and stopped in front of one of the washing machines that were close to an unoccupied bench.

After leaving the blanket inside the washing machine and setting up the detergent and softener to be used, she punched on some buttons after inserting some coins before leaving the 2 stacked up square washing machine working on their duties.

Winter took a seat on the nearest bench. She looked around. These boring people…

Watching some guys focusing on their phone screens, some even fell asleep while waiting, she sighed. Why did I even dump my phone on the bed... I should have brought it with me.

Slowly the guys left one by one, even there was a group of guys that came together to wash, – leaving the laundry shop almost empty immediately when they left. It's also nearing the closing hour, 10 PM. She roamed her eyes around again. Her eyelids started to get heavy. Slouching on the bench, she closed her eyes. 10 mins won't hurt.
 

xx
 

It was a moment when she suddenly jolted awake like being struck by a lightning after realizing she fell asleep quite– no, too long.

"Holy sh–" not being able to finish what she was gonna say, a hand covered  muffling her voice.

Looking at the culprit, Winter jumped out in surprise until she lost her balance, leaving her to sit on the floor. "W-what are you doing here?"

Jimin who was sitting while crossing her arms stared at her for a few seconds before rolling her eyes.

"It's past 10 PM already. It's supposed to be me asking you that."

"Oh ," Winter muttered as she stood up to check on the washing machine that's already turned off with the clean blanket already being wrapped in a laundry plastic – which Winter didn't notice yet.

"W-who cleaned this?" Winter muttered to herself as she didn't dare to turn around to ask the taller girl since she's the only one there, perhaps

But the taller girl heard her. "Me. You forgot to return the blanket to me in due time. And now I was the one who took care of it." Jimin stood up in front of the shorter girl while looking down at her who's trying her best in avoiding the latter's gaze.

"S-sorry! I was about to return it the other day but–"

"Okay keep it to yourself, I don't need your excuse." Then Jimin grabbed the wrapped blanket and was about to get out only to realize the younger girl had stood frozen in her place.

"Yah, come on, I need to lock this shop."

Wait–what? 

Even before finishing to process what the older girl said, Winter was already being dragged out by the taller girl from the laundry shop.









- Bonus scene -

 

 

A few hours ago...

 

Jimin just arrived back in her apartment after hanging out with her friend Giselle. After changing to more comfortable clothes, she sat down on a stool in her kitchen area after making herself a glass of coffee. 

Coffee, yes. 

She had a lot of assignments to do since her final exams week is just going to start on Monday. 

She's in her 3rd year of college, so final exams took later than for freshmen and sophomores.

Jimin is a smart student, it won't take too long for her to get all the information she read inside her brain. But postponing doing her assignments is one of her bad habits. So stressing herself by doing many assignments in 1-2 days before the due time has become her habit since the first time she entered college.

 

She was busy typing on her laptop while once in a while took a sip of her coffee until her phone rang.

'Uncle Lee'

Jimin sighed. It's not the first time the elder called her. He had been the closest blood-related uncle to her, being her father's younger brother. But then, whenever he called, especially at this hour – on Friday night, it must be something related to his business, the coin laundry shop.

She picked up after 3 rings. Seems like he's not giving up anytime soon, Jimin thought.

"What's the matter, uncle?"

'Eey what's with the tone, hahaha'

"I'm studying now. So straight to the point?"

'Okay okay, can you please help me to take care of the shop tonight? Just help to close and lock it. I was supposed to close the shop an hour early tonight, but then I forgot and there's still a girl left here, probably just waiting for her laundry to be done. I need to take care of the incoming detergent stocks in the warehouse.'

While listening to the elder her hand was still busy running on the touchpad while her other hand supported the phone on her ear. But then catching on the topic of a girl waiting for her laundry, she was suddenly reminded of a certain small person who still hasn't returned her blanket yet.

"Okay uncle, I will be there in 5 mins" 

'Thanks, Jimin-ah'

 

xx

 

After getting out of the elevator, she went straight to the laundry shop direction. With the transparent glass wall and door, she could see her uncle was busy taking care of some stuff and a certain girl wearing a yellow neon jacket that she believed was the one that her uncle was talking about.

As she walked inside the shop, the visual of the girl was greeted to Jimin's surprise.

'This girl…' Jimin scoffed before rolling her eyes.

Walking passing by the unmoving sleeping girl, Jimin approached her uncle.

"Hey uncle,"

"Ah yes just in time. I will need to go now. You just need to turn off the lamps, and leave the one outside on and lock the door okay? And if you want, you can wake the girl up… I just don't have the heart to wake her as she looks so tired. Thanks a lot, Jimin-ah!"

"You owe me lunch, uncle," Jimin said as she was handed a bunch of keys which she assumed all were related to the shop.

"Sure sure, I'll ask my wife to pack you some lunch later. Good night and happy Friday! See you later"

"See you later uncle." Then the elder went out hurriedly leaving Jimin to focus on the sleeping girl.

Winter looked so drained, even eye bags became more visible from the last time she met the girl. She looked like those teenagers who were still not ready to live on their own, but then since they're entering the phase of college life, they're forced to be independent by their parents by being dumped to live on their own. No wonder her uncle felt sympathy towards the smaller girl earlier.

Not realizing for staring too long, a childish short melody indicating the laundry was done, woke Jimin up from her daze. She went to check the washing machine only to roll her eyes once again realizing it was her blanket.

'The audacity of her to just wash it now, and so late at this hour while wearing shorts... no wonder she's being stalked by a weirdo. ' Jimin mumbled while taking a glance at the still-sleeping-soundly girl.

After taking care of her 'own' blanket, she decided to approach the younger girl and sit beside her – unintentionally watching her. Sensing Winter was about to fall to the other side, Jimin caught her body and placed her hand on the side of Winter's head, pushing it gently to her shoulder. A fresh fragrance of strawberry milk shampoo from Winter's washed hair greeted Jimin's nostrils. She stared at the younger girl's face – long curled eyelashes, beautiful pointed nose, and yes the visible cute small lips.

'Stop it Jimin...' Jimin mumbled as she looked away.

realizing it's getting late, Jimin glanced at the clock hanging on the wall in front of her – 10.05 PM.

She sighed. 'Seems like she's not waking up any time soon'.

Then she thought for a way to wake the girl up while watching the latter's face again.

She poked the latter's cheek.

 

Once.

Twice.

Thri–

 

To her surprise, instead of waking up gently, the smaller girl jolted up from her sleep.

"Holy sh–" knowing the younger was about to curse again, she silenced her by covering with her big palm.

'Can this girl stop cursing?'
 

xx

The two ended up visiting a nearby night cafe after Winter's stomach rumbled embarrassingly.

"Not only my blanket, but you just also robbed me," Jimin said as the two walked out of the cafe.

Winter giggled, "I didn't bring my wallet with me Jimin…unnie, I'll pay you back later don't worry." It was then she cowered in fear after gonna be disrespectful towards the older girl with who she already caused a lot of trouble.

"Jimin unnie.. yes Jimin unnie. I will need to get used to calling you that despite you look the same age as me." Winter chuckled talking to herself.

But Jimin heard her. "So much for being a freshman." She rolled her eyes for the nth times that day.

Winter giggled as she clung to the older girl's right arm while walking back to their apartment building only to receive a glare from the latter. But Winter ignored her as she felt safer while being near the older girl at this late night. She just beamed in return.

 

As the two went inside the elevator when Jimin was about to press the 3rd-floor button where her apartment is, Winter beat her to it, she pressed the 5th-floor button first.

"Yah, what are you doing?!" Jimin looked at her in disbelief.

Seeing the older girl's reaction made Winter laughing.

"To my floor first." 

Jimin wanted to fight the younger girl, but she held it in. She was just suddenly reminded of her unfinished assignments. "There's none here. You're safe already."

But with Winter's hopeful eyes staring at her, Jimin had no choice but to comply. This is not gonna be easy.

 

xx

"Okay, we're here already. Thank you so much for dropping me off, Jimin unnie." Winter beamed.

Jimin rolled her eyes but nodded nonetheless.

As the older girl was about to walk away, Winter suddenly remembered about paying the latter back for her dinner.

"Unnie! Wait!" Without waiting for the older girl, Winter dashed out inside her apartment, leaving the door half-opened.

Not quite sure what's running inside the blonde's mind, Jimin decided to wait. She took a glance inside the younger girl's apartment through the half-opened door.

Wow, so messy. So contradicting for someone who has a nice visual– not that I'm interested though. 

She saw a lot of books and papers piling up on the coffee table, with some–

"Here, for earlier. Sorry for troubling you." She handed the taller girl some cash but even before they landed on the taller girl's palm, Jimin retreated her hand.

"Can you just transfer me? I don't bring my wallet and don't like to carry cash much."

Winter, again, trying to process what the older girl said.

Cute. But dumb. Jimin thought.

"Please pardon my slow brain, it's kinda drained."

Jimin sighed.

"Do you want to come inside?" Winter took a glance at the older girl while she's multi-tasking doing the money transaction to the older girl's bank account.

"Nah, it's messy. I don't like messy places." Jimin said nonchalantly. Little she didn't know, the statement made the younger girl felt disheartened.

"You're so mean. It's final exams last week. It's understandable." After finishing the transaction, she showed off the proof in front of the latter.

While checking her mobile-banking, she said, "hey you over-transferred me."

"It's an apology for not returning your blanket in time and for everything that I've caused you a lot of troubles already."

Jimin rolled her eyes while pocketing back her phone, Jimin bid her goodbye. "Alright, I'm going back. Night."

"Good night unnie! Take care!" Winter shouted back while watching Jimin walked away.

After the taller girl long gone from her view, she went inside her apartment and looked around.

 

Lol Winter.. your audacity to invite her in.