Jimin's background

Night Encounter

*Black Mamba chorus playing*

 

"Ugh," feeling grumpy with the ringtone playing–ruining the quiet atmosphere in her bedroom, Jimin, being a light sleeper, was easily woken up from her sleep.

It was still early in the morning when her phone rang. The said person honestly had never received nor expected a call at this hour unless it's an emergency. Yeah, emergency. And being the forgetful person that she is – often keeping small things carelessly such as her phone, she never puts her phone in silent mode when she’s in her apartment.

She wondered what emergency it was.

Extending her hand to grab the small squared gadget on the nightstand; the place where she usually places it before sleeping, she forcefully broke her eyelids apart when she couldn't find it in its usual place. 

 

Dang it, where the hell is it?

So noisy

 

Relying on her hearings this time, she followed the sound and tossed her blanket away only to find it ringing noisily at the bottom of her feet. There you are.

Without paying much attention to the caller ID, she immediately answered the call – ready to give whoever it was her piece of mind for disturbing her sleep.

"Hel–" 

The person on the other line didn’t even give her a chance to speak. Instead, cut her immediately without hesitation. Rude.

"Jiminie Jiminie Jiminieee"

"Huh?" Feeling familiar with the sound, she checked the caller ID this time. "Eh? Oppa?"

Jimin clearly heard Jaehyun was scoffing on the other line, "Did you just wake up?"

His question made her roll her eyes.

"Isn't it obvious? I should still be sleeping at this hour, oppa." Slowly regaining her consciousness, Jimin peeked at the small digital clock sitting nicely on the nightstand, 07:40 – She decided to grab a glass of water from the kitchen to relieve her dry throat. Seems like it’s gonna be a long talk. God, bless me.

Jaehyun on the other line burst out laughing, getting the sarcasm from the younger girl, "Hahaha sorry sorry, but it's kinda important.. Are you busy today?"

Being skeptical for a moment, Jimin hesitantly answered, "umm..yeah? What's up oppa?" 

"I'm in Korea now and we should meet up today."

"You what?! But why so sudden? I mean how about tomorrow?"  She pulled the nearest stool and sat on it. The remaining water inside the glass she was holding was swirling around by the movement she made. I look like I'm drinking wine right now. 

Tch. Now, what am I thinking...

"Ah for that, I'm sorry Jiminie, but I'm flying back to the US tomorrow. Just got a day off today!"

"What?!" Jimin wondered how many times Jaehyun had given her a heart attack.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry! I swear I was planning to contact you earlier for a hangout–"

"Can’t believe you oppa.. Like seriously..”

“I was busy.. Really..” 

“Nah, just tell me if you really didn't want to spend time with me."

"Not like that! Trust me when dad seriously gave me the pain to work my off here.. not to mention I also need to continue the project you're asking me to do."

"Oh! I forgot about that one.. Hahaha sorry,”

"And now you're laughing. Just great Jiminie."

"You didn't tell me," Jimin chuckled, "so dad really has no idea about it?"

"Although it's still fine if dad knows about it, as per your request, no, he doesn't know about it." The way Jaehyun emphasized the words ‘Although’ and ‘your’, she knew he’s rolling his eyes.

Such a cooperative brother, she thought.

"Thank you oppa" 

"Ye.. stop smiling like an idiot there Jiminie. Now answer my question,"

Walking back to her bedroom, she immediately went to her study table to check her schedule for the day. "Okay, I'll clean my classes today. But I need to submit one assignment today. Like really really needs to be submitted today."

"Still a study nerd I know haha"

“Tch” 

"Okay, I'll pick you up in… an hour."

"An hour?! Why so early~ I still want to get some sleep"

"It's rare for you to get my free time, so we will need to spend it to its fullest, Jiminie." 

Jaehyun laughed when she caught the other person scoffing.

"It's an 'okay' right? I'll hang up now. See you in an hour!"

Before Jimin was able to complain, Jaehyun already hung up the call.

How polite he is.

Mumbling some incoherent words while walking to the bathroom, she spent the next hour getting ready.
 

xx

Jimin was busy tidying up her paperwork that needed to be submitted that day. It got mixed up with the ones that still had longer deadlines. Blame Jaehyun for the sudden meet-up. 

Yesterday was such a tiring and busy day. After a few days off, she did some catching up on her missed classes which this time, the lazy Jimin who always does everything 1-2 days before its deadline had miscalculated the timing and missed doing one of her paperwork from her scariest and strictest professor. It's an easy one, but since she also had some other paperwork to do, she would need to do it simultaneously to finish them all. In the end, exhaustion won her over and resulted in her falling asleep after some last touches to the last assignment. Papers were still scattered on the table and her laptop was left last night until it ran out its battery and shut down by itself. Just like her body that could no longer fight for preventions from shutting down as well.
 

While in the middle of clearing the papers, a sudden incoming call from her phone divided her attention.

 

Jae oppa🤍 

 

"Ah, the most impatient human ever." She muttered after peeking at the caller ID. 

 

"Hello"

"Jiminie! Why are you taking so long? I'm at the lobby already! The security is asking me to park!"

"Yeah I'm coming down, I'm coming down.."

"Aigoo, hurry up hurry–"

With a silent apology in her mind, she immediately hung up the call and focused her attention back on the papers on her study table "where's the– ah here you are!" Tidying up her study table, she checked for the last time before rushing out from her apartment to meet Jaehyun at the lobby within the span of two minutes if the elevator wasn't being a slowpoke.
 

xx

"Finally you're here.." Jaehyun spoke when Jimin entered his car.

Jimin on the other hand rolled her eyes at him.

"I thought you missed me!" Jaehyun laughed.

"Yeah, but I might cancel it out if you’re rushing me like this," Jimin replied and leaned her body on the back seat for some rest.

Again Jaehyun laughed in amusement. "Sorry though, I just missed you a lot too, Jiminie, so couldn't wait to meet and spend our time together while you have me here.." Jaehyun jokingly ruffled Jimin's hair after wiggling his eyebrows.

"Alright now go. I thought we don't want to waste more time?" 

"Yes, princess!" Jaehyun grinned and stepped on the gas pedal.

Finally, a small smile could be seen on her lips. Although he’s kinda annoying, the feeling of missing him was bigger than her annoyance. She didn’t really remember when was the last time they spent time together like this. Probably when she decided to study for Senior High School in Korea? instead of following him to the US and moving there for good. All this time they only talked through chats or calls if they had time. Paying a visit, it's either Jaehyun or Jimin who's busy. Time surely flew so fast.

 

xx

Checking her phone, Jimin mentally blamed herself for forgetting to charge her phone last night. 

She would need to get Giselle to answer her immediately.

 

Aeri🌙🌝

 

Aeri ya

Are you awake?

I really need your help

Can you please help me to submit some of my assignments today?

The most important one is Ms. Ahn's

I won't be attending classes today coz Jaehyun oppa came today.


 

After several trials calling the Japanese girl, which only led to the operator speaking, Jimin decided to just leave some more messages and passed her assignments to one of the maids and left immediately.

 

Aeri🌙🌚

 

Sorry Aeri ya, I've given my assignment to the maid.

I'll treat you with anything after this I promise! 

Thank you and love you bestie 🥺


 

She also decided to send a morning message to her beloved small puppy.

 

Annoying Brat ❄

 

My baby, good morning 🥰

I'm sorry, I prolly left you to sleep again last night

And I can't take you to campus today either 😥

But I'll make it up to you I promise

Love you baby enjoy your day ❤

 

Rereading their previous convos in the chatroom got her smiling like an idiot. Especially noticing Winter's current contact name that she had changed before just because she got her worried sick. Until Jaehyun kinda startled her a little bit. If it's visible to watch, the love bubbles around her were probably already burst out because of him.

"Ohh… looks like you have a lot of things to tell me hmm"

A sheepish smile from the latter only made him want to even further.

 

xx

It's brunch time already. After the embarrassing rumbling sound coming from Jimin's stomach, the two decided to visit a nearby cafe to find something for their stomach.

"Ah it's been a long time.." after the waiter went away from their sight, Jaehyun placed his crossed arms on the table and faced Jimin – putting all his attention on the girl in front of him.

"Yeah.."

“So?”

“‘So’ what oppa?”

“I guess you owe me a long story to share.” Jaehyun wiggling his eyebrows in a teasing way.

After heaving out a sigh, and a weak roll on the eyes, Jimin faced her brother, "Okay okay.. But I don’t know where to start?”

Jaehyun was thinking, he’s actually got something important to tell Jimin also, but it might not be the right time to tell her about it now, especially since they just met each other again. Just didn’t want to spoil the day. 

After having a debate with himself, he decided to let Jimin start first. “Let’s just talk about the person who you’re texting with, in the car” a teasing smirk was presented on his face.

“It’s a long story..”

“Nah I’m all ears, and you have the whole day to tell me haha”

“Fine..” didn’t know why she’s taking a deep sigh before answering him, “It’s Minjeo–uh I mean Winter.. My girlfriend, oppa.”

 

xx

“Now I kinda want to meet her.. The ever-so-cold Jimin has finally melted down under her spell. Look how whipped you are now, Jiminie.” Jaehyun chuckled.

“I have her pics, but reserved for me only.” Jimin stuck out her tongue.

“Aigoo, fine, keep it to yourself. Don’t share it with me.”

Jimin laughed at his response. 

Jaehyun might be teasing her every time, but deep down, he’s so glad the girl in front of him was slowly going back to being the bubbly Jimin that he had ever known. The young Jimin that’s always found smiling and rarely gets sad. Just the "Jimin" of his and his brother's favorite.

 

About Jaehyun, he was the second son of the Bae family; the biggest influencer in the business field of construction and technology. Although not officially confirmed, just by seeing their names everywhere and the wealth they have, they could be reckoned as one of the richest families in South Korea. Currently expanding the business in the US. 

After the death of their first son, Bae Sehun, Bae Suho decided to appoint Jaehyun as the next successor of their company once Suho decided to retire. He’s literally the only hope to be the heir of the Bae company.

It was unacceptable at first knowing Jaehyun had always hated the business field in the first place. He wanted to become an idol, a singer. But his dream was immediately crushed and buried after a car accident happened a few years ago which involved his family and also Jimin's who were going on a small family trip.

They were all badly injured. It was such an unfortunate fact that his brother along with Jimin's parents –whose mother was Suho's younger sister– passed away when they're brought to the nearest hospital. It gave him no other choice but to replace his brother's position. Especially when Suho already begged him for it.

"Please Jaehyun-ah, you will also need to save your aunt's business. I don't want it to be passed to someone outside the Bae family. And also her daughter is still too young for this too."
 

About the little Jimin being an orphan, Suho decided to take over her custody and adopted her. And Irene also was more than happy with the idea as she had always wanted to have a daughter before but just kept getting a baby boy. Since then the small Yu Jimin had grown up so well in the hands of the Bae family.
 

xx

“We’re here,” Jaehyun spoke, snapping Jimin out from her busy mind.

It’s already late, almost nine in the evening when the car stepped inside the apartment building area.

“Oh yes oppa.”

Just as Jimin began being all silent throughout the trip back to her apartment, he knew better what’s the cause of it. She’s thinking about what he said earlier.

"There's something really important that I have to tell you," Jaehyun spoke and threw his gaze anywhere but at her. It was obvious for Jimin to notice that he was contemplating whether to tell her or not.

"Oppa, you okay?" She's worried. It's rare for him to show this side of him. All she knew, he's always the calm and composed guy, holding the superior charm he has always had or if not, the dorky side that sometimes could annoy her. Thus seeing him like this, the 'important thing' must be really important and serious.

"Umm y-yeah.." taking a deep breath, he averted his gaze back to her. "It's about mom.." 

Jimin, who heard the mention of their mom, was suddenly nervous. She's hoping it's not something bad. "She's actually sick.."

Silence.

If the noise inside her brain could be heard, it would be no different from the sound of how many bees were buzzing around a beehive.

She knew it must be a serious illness, not just a regular sickness from how Jaehyun said it.

"When did this happen?"

"Couldn't tell exactly when it started, but it looks like it already happened from a few months ago. You know mom…" Jaehyun let out a heavy sigh.

Talking about their mom, everyone knows how much Irene loves her family, especially her kids. Never once did she want them to feel burdened or uncomfortable with her presence around. Just the typical dream mom who will always support you in anything you do as long as they're still a good thing. She always tried her best to meet up to her kids’ expectations although the two think she's already more than great in doing her role as a mother. Giving them her love while she still can, because she knew, the more the two young adults grow up, the harder it was to show them her love and warmth. Hence why she's keeping this from her kids, especially from Jimin knowing how much the latter could become worried sick when it comes to her.

"As you're already in the final year and will graduate soon...would you perhaps want to move with us to the US?" 

Seeing the changed look on Jimin's face, he knew he ed things up. The guilty feeling began spreading on his chest. He never wanted his sister to feel this way being burdened with his request knowing she's such a soft-hearted person who rarely refuses. But it looks like he didn't have any other choice. Especially when her mom kept mumbling over Jimin's name in her sleep almost every day. 

When was the last time they met? Probably last Christmas when Jimin went there to spend the holiday.

"Hey, I'm really sorry.. I didn't mean–"

"No that's okay oppa.. really.." Jimin shook her head in refusal of his apology. "I'm glad you told me about this instead."

As Jaehyun was about to heave out a deep sigh, Jimin cut him to it. "And don't feel guilty about it! I would be more upset if I found out later." Jimin averted her gaze to the view in front of her and formed a small smile. "I'll think about it, oppa.. but I'll surely visit mom this week."

"Of course.. just let me know if you need something, Jiminie."

Facing her brother, Jimin smiled genuinely. "Sure."

Now the two decided to climb down from Jaehyun's sporty car. "Ah.. why I turned down the atmosphere.. we should be having fun.."

"Haha well I did enjoy it though"

"Okay okay.." dismissively, Jaehyun rolled his eyes in a joking way. "Now, give your brother a hug. I'll see you next week if you really come to visit but if not, then probably next time until we have free time again unless dad asks me to come here again" stretching his long arms, he welcomed Jimin who happily went inside his big embrace.

"You've grown so much taller.. no longer the little Jiminie I know." Jaehyun laughed when Jimin slapped his back with her hand.

They were joking around in the parking lot until a voice stole their attention, "Jimin?"

Breaking the hug, Jaehyun chuckled seeing the surprised look on their faces. A little drama was about to be served on his plate.

"I guess you've got something to take care of?" Jaehyun teased. "I'll go home now. Bye Jiminie~" then Jaehyun went inside his car after winking towards the small girl who had stood frozen not so far from them and threw a teasing look towards his sister also.

 

xx

“Minjeong, where are you going?'' After bidding farewell to her brother, Jimin wasted no time and ran after Minjeong who had walked away from her. It’s already late and Minjeong was going out to god knows where. After being able to catch up with the younger, Jimin immediately grabbed her arm and stopped her from walking any further, “Hey hey wait.. Give me a chance to explain please, Minjeong,”

Honestly, when she’s faced with Minjeong’s face, she didn’t expect the girl would be so calm and all silent like this. Not to mention, aside from her sad expression, she couldn’t find any anger or any signs about her getting upset and mad. She’s more like having a running train of thoughts inside her mind. Should she be relieved? No, with Minjeong behaving like this, she’s more scared than feeling relieved. She wanted her to be mad and upset somehow, because in any relationship if the partner was caught having a skinship or anything with other people without them knowing the person, they would immediately assume she’s cheating or anything like that. And Minjeong should have the right to be mad and feel jealous.

They stopped walking. Minjeong didn’t even feel bothered with Jimin’s hand holding her arm still. It’s like Minjeong was kinda malfunctioning.

“It’s already late.. Where do you want to go? I’ll accompany you.”

Hungry. That’s what Minjeong felt before. She’s planning to visit the night cafe for dinner as Jimin was gone the whole day and couldn't be reached either. Not in the mood for delivery more to cook for herself. Until the said person came in her sight in a not-so-pleasing view.

“I..” Minjeong trailed off, still got her tongue stuck in . The view still kept playing in her mind like a broken record.

Not getting any answer, Jimin initiated to ask, “Have you eaten dinner?” as she guessed they’re on the route to the night cafe.

Minjeong on the other hand only shook her head slowly as the answer, not uttering any words.

With a soft smile plastered on her face, Jimin spoke while her hands were busy zipping Minjeong’s jacket closed and tugging the hood on her head, “I still owe you a looooong explanation, and you have the right to be upset about what you saw earlier too.. But come on, let’s go to the night cafe first. I promise I’ll explain everything to you when we’re back.”

Minjeong only nodded submissively, being pulled closer to Jimin’s side.

 

xx

“Can we go home now?” The more she ate, the more she lost her appetite.

“Are you sure? You barely eat the food, baby.” Jimin watched the younger with worry.

“I want to go home..” Minjeong muttered. 

From the moment they met at the wrong time earlier, Minjeong had got the older girl worried about her not behaving like her usual self. The unreadable emotion the younger had was still greyed out but she’s sure the younger wasn’t okay with the way she kept avoiding any eye contact with her.

“Alright, alright we’re going home.” 
 

On the way to their apartment, it was all silent – just to Jimin's expectation. It’s saddening, knowing just because of a misunderstanding, they’re already this distant towards each other like Minjeong had built a wall between them. Though she’s still somewhat glad that Minjeong still allowed her for any skinship – holding her by the waist for security. Just her protective side was at it again. Until the next moment, she caught the younger wiping her eyes with her hand silently.

Damn, I’m blaming Jaehyun oppa for real! Look what he has done.

As Minjeong was about to push the button to her floor, Jimin beat her to it, “sorry baby, but you’re staying with me tonight.” then Jimin brought Minjeong to her apartment.

“You can take a shower first, Jimin.. it’s getting late.” Minjeong spoke without even looking in her direction again.

Jimin on the other hand heaved out a sigh and nodded weakly. “But please don’t go anywhere okay?”

Minjeong nodded. Although she's upset, she still cared about her. 

 

xx

“Impossible..”

“What’s impossible?” 

In a silent atmosphere, Minjeong was startled by the sound of Jimin distracting her from her thoughts. She was sitting in the living room, staring into the void, and was drowning in her own thoughts. She didn’t realize Jimin had finished taking a shower and was now already sitting beside her.

“Jimin.. If it was what I’m thinking now, then I think I’ll be okay.” Minjeong spoke looking all pathetic. 

“Hey, what do you mean? What are you thinking about? You haven’t listened to my explanation, baby.” Jimin was getting anxious and scared.

“I don’t know.. If you’re dating him, then I think I should let you go..”

“What are you saying? And what makes you think you’re letting me go just like that..”

Minjeong was on the verge of crying again. She’s not sure why but she’s acting like a crybaby now. Was it because of not seeing the latter the whole day? Missing her too much?

“Jimin..” I can’t hold it anymore.. Probably this will be the best way..

Jimin was in panic mode when Minjeong began crying, “You’re talking nonsense, Minjeong." Immediately she brought the younger into her embrace. "I swear to you it’s not what you’re thinking. He’s my brother.. Okay not biologically, but you can say he’s my cousin.” 

“Are you serious?” Minjeong broke free from the hug so suddenly. The remaining tears were still visible in her eyes.

“Look into my eyes and tell me if I’m lying.” Jimin cupped her face and forced her to look at her.

Seeing only honesty and determination, Minjeong scattered back inside her embrace. “I’m sorry..”

“No baby, I should be the one to say sorry,” Jimin wholeheartedly welcomed her baby back and began drawing small circles on her back, “Just this morning, he called me urgently wanting to meet up and hang out today as he’s flying back to the US tomorrow. I forgot to charge my phone last night, and it seems like I didn’t mention it either in the text this morning, did I?” Jimin felt Minjeong nodded in the crook of her neck.

“And I had too much fun until I didn’t realize the time, I’m so sorry Minjeong..” It’s only around 14 hours of her not being in contact with the latter and yet she’s already going crazy wanting to crush the younger with her hug. She felt really bad for being such a jerk to the younger. Especially when Minjeong just easily replied with “that’s okay”.

But replaying back the words the younger said earlier, made her question the younger about how easily she let her go.

Abruptly, Jimin broke the hug causing the younger to pout. “But, how come you could let me go easily just like that? What were you thinking, Minjeong?” Jimin was kinda upset. The look on her face almost made Minjeong cry again.

“About that.. He’s actually the guy who saved me before, Jimin.” Minjeong looked down. “I owe him a favor, so if the worst case happens just like what I thought it’s like in any K-dramas, then I should probably let you go.. I'm sorry for being too naive to think that way.”

"Wait what? What do you mean?"

"Yeah, the incident.. when I got a suture on my head.. when I met three thugs."

"Wait, it happened around a month ago right?"

Minjeong nodded in response.

Seeing Jimin was still trying to process everything, Minjeong added, "he's the guy who brought me to the hospital, the one who you accused of having a connection with the thugs to do bad things to me."

He didn't tell me if he's here last month? Or has he been here since then? Jaehyun should have known Minjeong then. There's no way he didn't recognize her earlier.

I should ask him about it later.

"Jimin, you okay?"

Minjeong's soft call snapped her out of her inner thoughts.

"Eh, yes sorry baby. I was just trying to process it. But nevermind."

"And so please don't think that you're letting me go that easy. He's my brother."

Jimin's worried face made the younger pout again. "I'm sorry for thinking like that." Minjeong wasted no time hugging her Jimin again. Tightly this time. "I missed you."

"I missed you too.. I’m sorry for neglecting you the whole day too, baby." as they’re facing each other, Jimin landed a chaste kiss on the younger’s lips.

"Yeah, you have no idea how much I missed you, missed your presence and warmth." 

After flashing a smile, Jimin leaned in and began capturing the younger’s lips. And it only took a few seconds before Minjeong smiled and responded to the kiss. 

Mint. The taste of Jimin's saliva entered . It's never disappointing how Jimin always took the lead and made her feel like on another level. It's just a kiss, but the way she treats her gently always amazes her. She would her lips slowly yet steadily until she had no other choice but to open when a moan escaped from her lips. The looking-all-experienced movement by her tongue succeeded to explore everything inside , tasting every inch of it. And sometimes she would tease the younger a little bit by poking her tongue making a small battle between their tongues showing who's the dominant one. Her thin lips were never forgotten as she took turns in her upper and bottom part of it gently as if they're sweet lollipops, equally giving them attention. Until Minjeong was running out of breath, she pulled away first – making a string of saliva between them. 

Minjeong was embarrassed. It's been many times they kissed, and she's still losing to the older girl first.

But Jimin knew better to comfort her, "you're amazing, baby. I love it. I love you." One last peck was given.

Blushing. Minjeong was already burning red. A small 'I love you' was heard from the younger before she leaned in closer to rest her head on the older’s chest.

 

xx

"Jaehyun is actually my cousin. He used to have an older brother but then died in a car accident.. Along with my parents too." In a comfortable silence inside the bedroom, with the only sound coming from the flat TV in a very low volume, Jimin spoke – succeeded to steal Minjeong’s attention.

“I’m sorry..”

“Haha, that’s okay, baby.. It’s been years ago.” Jimin smiled.

Minjeong only stared at her and said nothing. Taking it as her cue to continue, Jimin continued.

“My mom is his father’s younger sister.. And since that accident, I’ve been taken care and raised by his family. His family is already like my second family, especially his mom who always gives me so much love. Even sometimes people mistook me as her biological child instead of him” Jimin chuckled at the memories.

“But then, just today, Jaehyun told me that mom is sick..” a heavy sigh escaped from her lips.

The picture of Bae Irene kept popping out in her mind.. How she used to be brought to Irene’s office, watching her busy working with her many proposals looking all cool and professional but still once in a while divide her attention to play with her just so she wouldn't feel too bored while waiting for her to finish working. Or when she was having a short cooking class with her in the kitchen teaching her how to cook some delicious dishes and make some snacks – messing the kitchen was unavoidable. Or when she used to accompany her to sleep – humming to a lullaby whenever the nightmare of the accident appeared in her dream again and made her stay awake the whole night. And there were still many more of their sweet unforgettable memories. For her, Irene had become her everything the moment she lost both of her parents. And now knowing she’s sick, she couldn’t help but feel guilty for not staying by her side. And instead, chose to live separately in different parts of the world although Irene herself didn’t mind it as long as it made her happy.




 

 

 


 

“...I will need to visit her this week.”