Nine

Starlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    "Breathe. Eunha, breathe, okay? In and out slowly. Like Sojung taught you." Yerin whispered, holding the distressed mermaid hybrid close in her arms under the blanket. Eunha's nightmares had quickly started to get worse again, only increasing after the mall incident. She asked the pink haired girl what the nightmares were about almost every time but she would be met by silence. It wasn't her place to push Eunha to talk about it though, she would tell her when she was ready. But not knowing anything did cause Yerin to worry more. Sojung had given some tips to help Eunha over the phone, but the older girl had specified that there was no way to help Eunha completely if she refused to open up. It was a waiting game now, which normally would be frustrating for any one else. But Yerin was patient, sacrificing her sleep to help Eunha whenever she needed it, even with her newly busy college schedule every week. Thank god it was the weekend again.

"Here's Bun-Bun, Eunha." Yuna had picked the stuffed bunny toy off the bedroom floor where it had fallen during the night, smoothing its ruffled fur before handing it over to Eunha. The hybrid took it into her grip quickly, her breathing starting to settle into a more normal rhythm. Yerin sighed in relief, rocking the pink haired girl in her arms.

"I'm going to get SinB up so we can get started on breakfast." Yuna whispered to Yerin, her hand moving to rub up and down Eunha's arm a few times before she moved back and got up off of the bed. "Bring her out when she's feeling better so we can get some food in her."

Yerin nodded, mouthing a silent 'thank you'. Yuna gave her a encouraging smile, stretching as she left the pair by themselves in the quiet bedroom. Silence fell over the room, the blonde still calmly rocking the hybrid back and forth while humming a small melody. After a few moments, Yerin stopped her quiet singing, idly running her fingers through Eunha's hair.

"You know...." Yerin started to say, twirling a lock of Eunha's short hair around her finger. "....you were crying out for someone in your sleep."

Eunha's breath hitched in her chest, a small tremble coursing through her body. Yerin felt bad about bringing it up but she still pressed forward, desperate to get at least some answers.

"Who was it? You kept asking them to not leave." Yerin paused, guilt forming in the pit of her stomach. "You don't have to tell me. I just....I'm worried about you."

Eunha kept quiet but snuggled in closer to Yerin's chest, using her free hand to pull the blonde's arms tighter around her. Yerin was content in doing that for now, glad that Eunha wasn't pushing her away or upset by her questions. 

 

"Another nightmare, huh?" SinB yawned, shuffling through the cabinets to find a drinking glass. "I thought she was doing better."

"I thought she was too." Yuna said, pulling a gallon of milk out of the fridge. "I guess she's still struggling mentally."

"It makes sense." SinB ran a hand through her messy hair. "We have no idea what she went through before we rescued her."

"Yeah..." Yuna sighed. "All we can do is help however we can until she tells us."

"Are Yewon and Sojung still coming over today?" SinB asked as she took the glass cup from the counter, filling it up with the milk that Yuna had brought out.

"Yep. They said they're planning on coming around noon." Yuna said. "Sojung wants to do another check up on Eunha."

"Speaking of which." SinB chuckled, nudging Yuna's arm to direct her attention behind her. Yerin was leading Eunha out into the living room, the mermaid hybrid still holding her stuffed bunny close. 

"Morning, Eunha." SinB called out, Yuna giving the pair an energetic wave. "Do you want waffles today? Yuna made some batter last night before bed."

Eunha didn't speak, only nodding slowly. SinB tilted her head in confusion but brushed it off for the moment, turning back around to help Yuna get the waffle batter out of the fridge. After she had done that, SinB took the glass of milk she had prepared earlier, bringing it over to the pair on the couch.

"Everything okay?" SinB asked, placing the milk glass in Eunha's free hand. Eunha didn't respond again, gulping down the milk while Yerin watched on with concern clearly showing in her brown hues. SinB reached over and tugged at Yerin's sleeve, signaling her to meet her in the kitchen. The blonde made sure Eunha was distracted by the milk and the morning TV show that she had before leaving her side, joining Yuna and SinB in the kitchen. 

"What's going on with her?" SinB asked. "She's usually so talkative in the morning, even when she has nightmares."

"I don't know." Yerin shrugged dejectedly. Yuna was already preparing the waffle iron, heating it up before spreading the batter on to cook. "I wish I knew but she still wont tell me anything."

"Did something different happen this time?" Yuna asked, keeping an eye on the timer. "I remember hearing her crying out something when she was asleep."

"She wont tell me." Yerin mumbled, crossing her arms and slumping against the kitchen counter. "I don't know what to do."

"She might be working up the courage to tell us. Who knows." SinB sighed, placing a hand supportively against Yerin's. "Lets just wait. Sojung will be over later, at least. Maybe she can help."

"I know. But..." Yerin bit her lip. "....I wish she would trust me enough to tell me."

"She trusts you." SinB said. "Hell, I think she trusts you more than any of us. But if whatever she's been dreaming about has been causing her so much distress, it must be hard for her to handle talking about."

"You're right." Yerin nodded. 

"Of course I am." SinB joked, earning a small punch from Yerin. Yerin was slightly grinning now, raising her fist to playfully punch SinB again. SinB stuck her tongue out before running to the living room to join Eunha in watching TV, Yerin following quickly behind. 

Breakfast had been uncharacteristically quiet, the pink haired mermaid still not talking as she ate her meal. Yerin wanted to say something about it but she chose not to. She couldn't push her to talk. She would speak again when she wanted to. But still, not hearing Eunha's sweet voice was strange to say the least. 

Sojung and Yewon had arrived early, wearing comfy clothes to relax in since there were no plans to go out as a group today. Sojung was fast in laying Eunha down on the couch for a small examination, checking up on the fully healed wounds and scars on the hybrid's torso. 

"Everything looks good." Sojung said, pulling Eunha's shirt back down before taking one of the girl's arms in her hand to check her strengthening muscles. "Has anything been hurting at all, Eunha?"

Eunha shook her head, continuing to be silent even with Yewon and Sojung with her.

"Where's that cute little voice of yours?" Yewon knelt down next to the girl's head and placed a hand on Eunha's face, rubbing a thumb softly against the mermaid's cheek. Eunha nuzzled into the touch, closing her eyes and letting out a small satisfied sigh. Sojung raised an eyebrow, letting go of Eunha's arm so she could stand up.  

"Did she lose her voice?" Sojung turned her head sideways to face Yerin, SinB and Yuna, keeping her voice somewhat quiet. Yewon had placed Eunha's stuffed bunny back in her arms, giggling as Eunha cuddled it.

"No." Yerin mumbled, rubbing at the back of her neck. "She was talking fine last night."

"She had a nightmare this morning." Yuna interjected. "A pretty bad one too. She hasn't talked since."

"I see." Sojung rubbed her chin, clearly worried. "She's been eating, right?"

"Yeah. But...." Yerin paused, tears b in her eyes. "....I'm so wor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter