Four

Starlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  "Where's Yuna?" Was the first thing that left Sojung's mouth the second the pair had arrived at the shared apartment, bag full of various medical equipment and medicine in hand. Yewon was close behind, her hair tools secure in her purple colored backpack. Both girls looked confused at the sight of Yuna and Yerin standing in front of them, both girls showing no sign of what SinB had said on the phone an hour ago.

"Wait, Yerin's bangs are fine." Yewon said, turning to look at SinB, curiosity showing in brown hues. "Why are we here?"

"Listen, I can explain." SinB sighed, trying to ignore the glare that Sojung was shooting at her. "I do need your help but not for me, Yerin or Yuna."

"Then who?" Sojung had her arms crossed like a stern mother, not letting up on her glare. "Explain, SinB."

"It...." SinB rubbed at the back of her neck, using her other hand to gesture for the two girls to follow her. "It would be easier if I just showed you."

Yewon stared again for a few more seconds before shrugging, pulling Sojung along. Sojung placed her medical bag down on the couch before letting Yewon lead her over to the bathroom that SinB had disappeared into. Neither of them were quite prepared for what they were about to see.

"W...What...." Yewon's mouth dropped open. Sojung was mirroring the younger girl's actions, unable to speak. Eunha was still fast asleep in the bathwater, the mermaid hybrid's baby fangs poking out of while her tail twitched in the water. 

"SinB." Sojung's voice finally returned, the older girl turning to look at the trio of girls that had joined them. "Explain."

"Isn't this the mermaid I've been hearing about? The one from the aquarium?" Yewon interrupted, her eyes shining with amazement.

"....You didn't." Sojung clenched her jaw and SinB braced herself for an outburst. 

"Don't be mad." Yerin was quick to speak before Sojung got a chance to, grabbing the taller girl's hand in desperation. "If you had seen how she was being treated there, you would have done the same thing!"

"Yerin. Do you have any idea how much trouble you could be in if you all get caught? Are you serious?!" Sojung's voice was angry but there was more concern than anger showing in her eyes. Eunha had woken up, her head still resting in her arms that were propped up against the edge of the tub. Quickly, the mermaid began to look scared, eyes darting from Sojung to Yewon and then back at Yerin. 

"Look at her." Yerin whispered, trying to convince Sojung to keep from yelling any more. Sojung wanted to continue her scolding but she obeyed, finally turning her head to examine the mythical hybrid in front of her.

After a few moments, Sojung a breath in, her chest aching once she realized just how sick the mermaid was. Yewon was already by Eunha's side, taking the mermaid's gnarled and tangled hair in her hand to examine it properly. Eunha was trembling now, her eyes never looking away from the new girl's face. Yewon noticed this and gave the girl an encouraging smile. It seemed to work, the shaking in the mermaid's body calming down.

Sojung was next to approach, leaving Yerin's grip to join Yewon's side. Her expression had turned caring and professional, using her hands to do a quick check up on the mermaid's body. She avoided touching the hybrid's tail, focusing on the parts that were human. Eunha squirmed, whining quietly as she was gently poked and prodded by Sojung's hands.

"Well?" Yerin tapped her foot nervously, not liking how quiet both Yewon and Sojung were being.

"I can fix her hair." Yewon spoke up, still examining the mermaid's hair in her hands. "I've dealt with worse. It won't be that hard. Though I'll have to cut a good majority of it off."

"SinB was right. She's dehydrated but she's also showing signs of malnourishment. The cuts on her body are infected too." Sojung said, standing back up. "Has she been eating at all?"

"Yeah. But not much." Yuna replied. "She's always sleeping too."

"We need to get the proper nutrients back into her body as fast as we can." Sojung sighed. "I'm glad I brought the extra IV drip along. Those were certainly helpful when Yewon got dehydrated last summer after working too hard." 

"Lets get to work then." Yewon nodded, getting back up to her feet as well. "SinB, do you mind helping me?" 

 "That's not a good idea." SinB said, running a hand through her fiery red hair. "Last time I tried to touch her hair she almost bit my arm off."

"I'll help, Yewon." Yerin chimed in. "Eunha trusts me the most."

"Eunha." Yewon repeated, looking back down at the exhausted mermaid with a small smile. "Is that your name?"

Eunha nodded, her tail flowing back and forth in the bathwater.

"I can't believe this." Sojung muttered under her breath. "A mermaid. A real live mermaid. And she's in your bathtub."

"Better get used to it." SinB quipped, chuckling as Sojung gently punched her in the side.

 

  "Eunha....Eunha, calm down." Yerin struggled to keep the mermaid in her arms, Eunha growling at the sight of the brush and scissors in Yewon's hands. Yerin was on the bathroom floor, keeping Eunha secure in her lap. SinB had found several shirts for Eunha, leaving them next to the bathtub for the siren to wear after Yewon was finished with her hair. The shirts were a bit big for her but it was better than nothing.

"She's going to help you feel better, okay?" Yerin turned the siren's body so that she was sitting sideways in her lap, allowing Yewon to access her hair properly. Eunha started to whine, not sure what was happening in her still half asleep state, her tail twitching back and forth in the air.

"You can trust me, Eunha." Yewon cooed, running her brush through the long knotted hair so that she could attempt to save as much of it as she could. Eunha's whining got louder, a small yelp of pain exiting as the brush ran through a particularly bad cluster of knots. 

"Just keep her still for me." Yewon said, placing the brush down on the floor before picking up her personal pair of professional hair scissors. Eunha didn't like the sight of that. Yerin quickly moved her hand so it was resting on Eunha's cheek, turning the mermaid's face to focus on hers. 

"Hey, its gonna be alright. You're a brave girl. I'll be right here the entire time." Yerin smiled, making sure Eunha couldn't see Yewon moving the scissors over to cut though a strand of her damaged hair. Eunha let out another whine, closing her eyes as the sound of Yewon working her magic with her scissors echoed through the bathroom.

 

"Is that a needle?" SinB shivered at the sight of the equipment in Sojung's hand. "It looks huge."

"It's really not that bad." Sojung replied, taking a bottle of antibiotics out of her medical kit. "It only hurts for a second. It's not like it'll stay in her skin. The tube does all the work."

"Still." SinB said, adverting her eyes away. "It doesn't look fun."

"It's not." Sojung answered honestly, making sure everything was ready to go once Yewon finished up. "But its necessary sometimes."

"Do you want anything to drink, Sojung?" Yuna called over from where she was in the kitchen, looking for the leftover bottles of soda that she had stashed in the fridge a few days ago.

"I'm okay, Yuna. Thank you though." Sojung smiled. Yuna returned it, closing the refrigerator door with a bottle of her favorite soda in hand.

"Do you need me to help with anything else?" SinB asked, fidgeting where she stood. All this action was making her antsy.

"You can get a glass of water ready." Sojung said, gesturing to the pill bottles. "There's no way shes going to be able to take those dry."

"Gotcha." SinB said, running to the kitchen as Yuna replaced her spot at Sojung's side.

"You know, you really are amazing." Yuna c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter