Ten

Starlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   Lectures were usually Yerin's least favorite thing to listen to, but ever since Eunha started coming along with her to her classes, she found herself able to find interest in them. Her new professor made everything lively too, bringing energy and fun to every lesson along with hands on experiences with different sea animals. Changing majors had definitely been the right decision to make, Yerin's motivation to learn at an all time high.

"You.....You spelled that animal's name wrong." Eunha whispered, pointing to Yerin's paper with her free arm, her other arm linked with Yerin's as she sat next to her.

"Did I?" Yerin asked, examining her notes again. Sure enough, Eunha had been correct. Smiling, Yerin erased the misspelled word and corrected it, Eunha directing her attention back to the professor at the front of the room while leaning her head on Yerin's shoulder. It was a common sight, Yerin hard at work with the pink haired mermaid attached to her. Time passed fast in her classes now, Friday rolling around quicker than it ever had before. 

"Don't forget your assignment over the weekend!" The professor called out, watching as all the students packed up their stuff to leave. "Go to an aquarium and write in detail about your favorite sea animal that you see there. We'll all present them in front of the class on Monday and have a discussion." 

Yerin and Eunha were halfway out the door, hand in hand, until Yerin's professor stopped them.

"Miss Jung?" He asked, Eunha nervously positioned behind Yerin.

"Yes, sir?" Yerin felt worried, hoping that she wasn't in trouble for bringing Eunha in to class so often. The professor only smiled, looking over at the hiding half mermaid.

"Don't worry. You aren't in trouble." The professor chuckled, able to tell what Yerin was thinking by the expression on her face. "I would like to speak to the girl hiding behind you. Your name is Eunha, correct?" 

"Y....Yes..." Eunha replied with an anxious tone in her voice, clutching Yerin's hand tightly. 

"Well, Eunha, I just wanted say thank you for always accompanying Miss Jung to class. I was worried when she transferred because her other professors said that she was always sleeping during the lessons. But ever since you started coming in with Miss Jung, she's been focused and giving me high quality work. So thank you. You will always be welcomed here."

Eunha blinked a couple times, clearly surprised by the praise. Yerin seemed embarrassed but smiled even so, squeezing Eunha's hand.

"You're.....You're welcome." The hybrid squeaked out, both of her hands moving to clutch at Yerin's forearm. 

"That's all I wanted to say. You're free to go." The professor continued to smile, waving the pair good bye. "Have a good weekend."

"Same to you." Yerin bowed politely before turning and leaving with Eunha, a small blush on her features while Eunha was eager to finally leave the lecture hall. 

 

"What took you so long?" SinB asked, twirling her car keys in her hand. Yuna was waiting beside her, sitting on one of the nearby benches in the outside area of the college campus. 

"Sorry, the lecture was a bit longer than usual today." Yerin said, Eunha running forward to give SinB a big hug. SinB let out a small grunt as she was practically tackled by the hybrid, running a hand through Eunha's short locks.

"What a cute baby." SinB teased. Eunha only pouted, making no move to let go of the red headed girl until Yuna stood up. SinB laughed, ruffling the girl's hair as Eunha finally let go of her to attach herself to Yuna. Yuna was more than happy to hug the half mermaid back, rocking her back and forth playfully.

"So, what's the plan for the weekend?" SinB asked. "Did you get assigned a bunch of homework again?"

"Well, not exactly." Yerin said, side eyeing Eunha nervously. "We have to go to an aquarium and write a detailed report about our favorite sea creature."

"Aquarium?" SinB's expression hardened. "There's no way we're going back there."

"I know." Yerin sighed. "I'm not sure what I'm going to do."

"What about going to another town?" Yuna chimed in, Eunha content in clinging to her while nibbling lightly at her shoulder with her baby fangs. "It's kinda far but I'm sure there are other bigger and better aquariums out there."

"Will Eunha be able to handle it though?" Yerin asked, glancing at the hybrid. "It's still an aquarium."

"Well, lets ask her." SinB said as she walked to the side of Yuna, smiling at the affectionate, clingy mermaid. "How do you feel about going on a trip, Eunha?"

"A trip?" Eunha stopped her nibbling to look up at SinB curiously. 

"Yeah, to another town where we can go to the beach and a cool aquarium." SinB said calmly, testing the waters. "Does that sound fun?"

"An....aquarium?" Eunha's expression slowly changed to one full of fear. "It's....It's not..."

"No, its not that aquarium. I promise." SinB shook her head. "We would never make you go back there. This one is better and there wont be any mean people."

"....Promise?" Eunha's voice was quiet, Yuna gently rubbing her back.

"I promise." SinB nodded, patting the hybrid's head softly. "Yerin will be by your side the entire time. It'll be fun. I swear. We can have Sojung and Yewon come with us too."

"Okay." Eunha replied, going back to nibbling at Yuna's shoulder. SinB could only laugh at the sight, Yuna still rubbing the girl's back.

"I guess its settled." Yerin said, relieved that Eunha had agreed. "I'll call Sojung and Yewon to see if they're free to go when we get home."

"Sounds good." SinB agreed, watching Eunha move out of Yuna's grip so she could be back in Yerin's arms, the half mermaid chewing on Yerin's shoulder instead.

"Something tells me that you're hungry." Yerin chuckled, keeping Eunha close as the group started to make their way back to SinB's car.

  The drive home was fast as usual, Yuna taking the front seat and calling Yewon and Sojung to tell them about the weekend plans. The pair had agreed, since they had the weekend off and wanted to spend time with everyone again. Yerin was excited but also worried. The mall trip had been fun but Eunha had reacted badly as the day had gone on. What if the same thing happened this time as well? But, Eunha did seem to be finally sleeping better. Maybe this time, it would all be fine. 

 

  Everyone was excited once the scheduled day rolled around but Yerin could detect a bit of anxiety in Eunha's posture. She couldn't blame her though. But Yerin was determined to show Eunha that not all aquariums were run by money hungry pieces of scum. She had done a bunch of research on the new aquarium, with SinB's help, and had found that the people who ran the aquarium were passionate about the rehabilitation of ocean animals. All the money that they would be spending on tickets would be going directly to foundations made specifically for helping and rescuing ocean life. That was enough to bring relief to the whole group, Eunha included. But the half mermaid's remaining anxiety about going to an aquarium again was to be expected.

"What's your favorite sea animal, Eunha?" Yerin asked, her arm around Eunha's shoulders as the two sat in the backseat of SinB's car, the scenery outside the window whizzing past as they traveled along with SinB securely at the wheel.

"I....I like sharks." Eunha said.

"Sharks are pretty cool." SinB chimed in, nodding her head while clicking on her turn signal to make the upcoming turn.

"What about dolphins?" Yuna asked, turning around in her seat to properly join the conversation. "Have you ever seen one, Eunha?"

"No....." Eunha mumbled, both of her arms wrapped around Yerin's waist. "Are....Are they gonna be there?"

"Not at the aquarium but I heard that you can sometimes spot them at the beach close by." Yuna smiled. 

"I wish dolphins would come by our town's beach too." Yerin sighed. "The most we get are seals once in a while."

"What's wrong with seals?" SinB asked, using the stoplight they were at to glance back at the pair for a moment. "They're awesome."

"They are." Yerin agreed. "But I like dolphins better."

"Sharks are better." Eunha's voice unexpectedly interrupted. Yerin blinked a few times before laughing, pinching at Eunha's soft cheek. 

"You're spending too much time around SinB, aren't you?" Yerin smirked teasingly. The pink haired half mermaid only let out a small giggle, attempting to bite the blonde's finger. 

"What is that supposed to mean?" SinB shot a glare at Yerin before turning back to concentrate on driving. Yuna gave SinB's arm a playful pat, chuckling silently under her breath. Yerin continued to play with Eunha until the sound of her phone vibrating in her jeans pocket distracted her. Pulling out her phone, a text from Sojung flashed on screen.

"Sojung just texted me." Yerin announced, fingers unlocking her phone to type a message back. "They made it there safely and are waiting for us out front."

"Tell them that we're almost there." SinB said, pointing at the GPS. "We only have five minutes to go."

"Gotcha." Yerin replied, sending a message to Sojung as quick as she could. Eunha had grown silent, leaning her head against Yerin's for support. Yerin placed a small kiss on the top of Eunha's head, rubbing her hand up and down the hybrid's back. 

 

"Finally on time for once." Sojung commented to herself. The missing group had pulled into the aquarium parking lot, finding a parking spot up front that thankfully hadn't been taken yet. Yewon playfully punched Sojung's arm, laughing before watching the mentioned girls make their way out of the car. Eunha and Yerin were the last to exit, the half mermaid's hands never un-attaching from the blonde.

"Hey guys!" Yewon waved happily at the approaching group. Sojung smiled and did the same, though hers was more of a contained, polite wave than the excited gesture that Yewon was doing. SinB and Yuna waved back, Yuna making sure to hug the duo tightly once she had reached them. Eunha was still mostly quiet, her blue eyes examining the new building in front of them.

"Wow, doesn't she look cute?" Yewon observed, smiling at the pink haired mermaid. Eunha was dressed in a white, comfy sweatshirt that was slightly baggy on her, a light gray pair of jeans paired with it. A section of her short pink hair was pulled back into a tiny ponytail at the middle of her head, the rest of her hair down and brushing against her neck softly. 

"Did SinB help dress her?" Sojung asked.

"Actually, Yuna did." SinB replied

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter