Six

Starlight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"This is a bad idea."

"Shhh...." Yerin held a finger over her lips, signaling Yuna to keep her voice down. The group's first day of classes had approached just as fast as Yerin had predicted, the early morning light falling over the apartment. Eunha was still sleeping, of course, the warm bath water keeping the mermaid calm and relaxed while she slept. She had spent several nights in Yerin's bed but last night the blonde made sure to have the hybrid sleep in the bathtub, not wanting to wake her up and deal with her heartbreaking whines while they all left. It would make it that much harder to not want to stay home.

"What if she wakes up early and realizes we aren't around?" SinB asked worriedly, stealing a glance over at the closed bathroom door.

"She's been sleeping in until late again." Yerin whispered, quietly opening the front door and gesturing for Yuna and SinB to leave. "It'll be fine. It would be worse if she knew we were leaving.."

"But what about the rest of the week?" Yuna asked. "She's not going to keep sleeping in forever."

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Yerin sighed, locking the door with her pair of keys while SinB slid into the front seat of her car, unlocking the doors so the duo could get in.

"I hope you're right." SinB muttered, concern showing clearly in her eyes as she started the car, making sure everyone was buckled in before driving off.

 

______________

 

  Eunha's blue eyes slowly opened, blurry vision taking in the sight of the dimly lit bathroom around her. The bathtub water was still warm but Eunha had woken up even so, breaking her out of another approaching nightmare. The mermaid hybrid shuddered, suddenly feeling cold even in the comforting warm water, her tail swaying in the water. Usually the apartment would be filled with the quiet noises of its occupants going about their own business but the air was still, no sounds aside from the drips of water drops slowly falling off of the bathtub's faucet onto the surface of the water. 

".....Yerin?" Eunha called out, the siren unable to leave the bathtub even if she wanted to. There was no answer, Eunha's heart starting to race.

"Y-Yerin!" The mermaid's voice grew more desperate, hoping for some sort of response, even if it was SinB telling her that Yerin was sleeping. Nothing. Eunha started to whimper, her arms shaking as she clung to the edge of the tub. The hybrid pulled back and slipped her head under the bathtub water, hoping that this was all some sort of strange dream and that she would wake up with Yerin, SinB or Yuna beside her. Eunha allowed herself to sit under the water for a few more moments before coming back up. Nothing had changed. She was still alone, no sign of the trio anywhere. 

The mermaid sniffled before painful memories from the past started to spill into her head, causing tears to form at the edge of her blue eyes. Eunha started to cry, her sobs quiet but echoing in the suddenly darkening bathroom around her.

 

______________

 

"Can't you go any faster?" Yerin tapped her foot impatiently against the floor, staring out the window of SinB's car. The school day had gone by way too slowly, the only thought in her head being of the mermaid they all had to leave behind. 

"I know you want to see Eunha but I'm not about to break the speed limit right now." SinB huffed, turning the wheel as their street approached.

"Is everything okay, Yerin?" Yuna asked, looking up from her phone in the back seat. "You've been acting weird all day."

"I just keep feeling like something is wrong." Yerin said, running a hand through her hair. 

"What do you mean?" SinB asked, making sure she pulled into their apartment parking spot as carefully as she could. 

"I don't know. I just know something is wrong." Yerin repeated, removing her seatbelt and opening the car door as fast as she could. Yuna and SinB could only watch as Yerin ran to the door, the blonde fumbling with her keys. The second the door was open, Yerin was on her way to the bathroom, wanting to see Eunha's smiling face. But the sounds coming from the bathroom only confirmed her fears. 

"Eunha?" Yerin felt her stomach drop at the sight in front of her. The mermaid was curled up against the far edge of the tub, teary blue hues staring up at her. It was clear that the hybrid had been sobbing for the past hour, her chest heaving up and down under her wet t-shirt while choked gasps for air exited Eunha's mouth. The mermaid couldn't even form words in the state she was in, her trembling arms reaching out for Yerin. Yerin grabbed a fluffy towel off of the rack to place on the floor, leaning over and picking Eunha out of the water. Yerin wrapped Eunha in the towel, holding the bundled up mermaid hybrid close. Immediately, Eunha started to cry again, clinging to Yerin tightly.

"Oh Eunha...." Yerin whispered, not caring that her shirt was practically soaked now. "I'm sorry. I'm here now. I'm right here."

"...." SinB whispered under her breath once both her and Yuna had reached the bathroom doorway, spotting the scene in front of them. Eunha's distressed cries continued, although muffled as she buried her face in Yerin's chest and the fluffy towel surrounding her.

"Should I call Sojung?" Yuna asked, not sure how to help the situation. 

"I don't think having anyone else around would help right now." SinB answered, Yerin rocking the poor mermaid back and forth, Eunha's cries refusing to stop.

"We should at least call her for advice." Yuna said, SinB nodding in agreement. The pair left the doorway, leaving Yerin and Eunha alone. Yerin pressed a gentle kiss against Eunha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter