Chapter 9

Spicy Noodles

The next day, Jimin and Taehyung spent the whole day catching up on a drama they haven’t got the time to watch lately and playing video games. Meanwhile, Jungkook had gone to the cemetery with Jin Namjoon and Yoongi. Every month, they went to visit her, telling her about how their lives were going and how much they missed her. Jungkook told her about how the old ladies were doing at the restaurant and everything that had happened with Jimin since the day they met. He also told her how much he liked him, how a big effect he had on him –which made the others smile. That night, when Jungkook was lying on his bed, he realised that he hadn’t gone to the restaurant three days in a row, which was a first for him.

 

The following day

Jimin had brought Taehyung to the railway station, promising to come visit him before the end of the summer break. It was almost August now and both boys were excited to go back to university. As he was going home, Jimin got hungry so he called Jungkook and they agreed to meet up at the restaurant. When Jungkook arrived, Jimin was already waiting in front of the restaurant. Each boy’s heart fluttered when they saw each other but they both covered it with a smile.

“Hi, Jiminie hyung.”

“Hi, Jungkookie. Let’s go in.”

They entered the restaurant and went to sit at their usual table. The same lady from every time came to hand them menus.

“It’s been a little while, Jungkook.” She said, smiling warmly.

“Only three days. I’m happy to be back though.” Jungkook replied and she walked back to the counter.

“You haven’t come here these last days?” Jimin asked, surprised.

“Yeah… I was afraid I’d feel lonely without you here.” Jungkook admitted, his ears turning red as Jimin beamed at him.

“Well, let’s choose.” Jimin said, turning to his menu. Surprisingly, Jungkook took a look at the menu too. Jimin noticed but didn’t say a word.

“Have you chosen?” asked the old lady a couple of minutes later.

“I’ll take a soft tofu stew and a 7Up please.” Jimin said, handing the menu back.

“And you Jungkook?”

Jungkook had hesitated a lot. For the first time in months, he thought about eating something else than his usual spicy cold noodles. He looked at the lady, smiling shyly.

“I’ll take a spicy seafood stew.” He said, surprising Jimin who looked at him dumbfounded. The old lady went back and Jimin was still looking at Jungkook his mouth slightly open.

“Take a picture it’ll last longer.” Jungkook joked, trying to get Jimin to react.

“I’m sorry it’s just… You’ve chosen to eat something else.”

“I did, thanks for noticing.” Jungkook said, chuckling. “Tell me about your day with Taehyung hyung yesterday.” Jungkook asked, changing the topic. Thankfully, Jimin didn’t push and when their food arrived, he was talking about how he and Taehyung had cried when they watched the end of their drama.

After thanking the lady, Jungkook tentatively took a bite of the stew, not really expecting it to be this spicy but enjoying the taste either way. It was strange to not eat the cold noodles but he also felt like he could associate this place with happy memories again. Every single one of them filled with Jimin this time.

“It’s good, isn’t it?” Jimin asked.

“Yes. A little too spicy though but I like it.” Jungkook replied, smiling.

They ate as Jimin went on telling Jungkook about what he’d done with Taehyung the day before. Jungkook burst into laughter when Jimin told him that he had discovered that Taehyung had been cheating to win at Mario Kart.

“Mario Kart is the only game you’re good at though! That’s not nice!” Jungkook exclaimed, teasing Jimin who hit him on the shoulder.

“Show some respect! I’m your hyung.” He scolded with a little smile on his lips.

The old ladies were appreciating the sight from the kitchen, not wanting to disturb the two boys.

“Chanmi would be so happy to see her son like that.” The first one said.

“I’m sure she sees it from where she is.” The other said, her smile widening.

 

“Do you wanna come to mine?” Jungkook asked Jimin when they were out of the restaurant.

“Yeah, why not?” Jimin asked.

They began to walk side by side, in silent, as always, just stealing glances from time to time. Suddenly, as they were nearing the house, Jungkook took Jimin’s hand.

“Hyung, I wanna tell you something.” He began, not looking at Jimin yet. “I don’t really know how to begin. When we first met, you didn’t make a good impression to be honest. I found you a bit intrusive, it was kinda weird of you to fill my cup with water without my consent.” He said, making Jimin giggle. “But then I talked to you about it and you were actually so nice, you apologised and even told me that you’d like to be friends. I’d been pretty sad about my mother’s passing away and at the moment I thought I could maybe use a new friend. Initially, I didn’t wanna share anything with you but eventually, I did. And you seemed to understand instead of pitying me and that made me want to share more things with you. As I learned more about you I started to feel really attached to you. Maybe you didn’t realise it and still doesn’t, but you were of great help to me.” Jungkook then looked at Jimin. The latter was intensely looking at him. “Do you remember when you told me about why you had gone to live with your aunt?” Jimin nodded. “That’s when I understood that I had to get over my mother’s decease. I understood that you could talk about it freely because you’d been over it already. And that made me want to be closer to you, hoping that you’d help me get over it. But after some time, that changed. I had won a good friend and was very thankful but then I realised that you liked me.” He laughed at Jimin’s expression. “You weren’t very subtle about it! When I realised that, I thought that it would be a bit awkward but it wasn’t. I didn’t get why at first but two days ago I talked with Jin hyung and he made me open my eyes. I felt the same way about you. I had probably felt the same way from the beginning, as you bewitched me with your blonde hair, sweet smile and cute eyes. I know we have a lot to work on, such as communication. Though it’s not that bad, I believe we can improve it. Anyway, that got longer than I expected but yeah… I like you hyung. A lot.” Jungkook finished.

They had reached Jungkook’s block of flats as he was confessing and they were now standing in front of the entrance. Jungkook’s face was flushed and his hand sweaty in Jimin’s but he didn’t wanna let go.

“Wow. I don’t really know what to say. I’m sorry if I weirded you out with my flirting technique though I wasn’t really flirting, I just wanted to get your attention. I was afraid you wouldn’t want to befriend me after this but I was pleasantly surprised. I was very touched when you told me about your mother. Talking about what happened was already a big step in the mourning process and sharing it with someone you barely know is even more impressive. Listening to you talk about your mother, your father, your family, it all sounded so interesting and it made me learn so much about you. I loved every second of it. And well, apparently you already know it but I really like you. I like you as a whole with your scars because they are what makes you perfect in my eyes.” Jimin stated, squeezing Jungkook’s hand.

“Do you still wanna come up?” Jungkook asked, smiling from ear to ear. Jimin nodded and so Jungkook lead the way.

 

Nothing happened that evening beside kissing, Jungkook asking Jimin to be his boyfriend and more kissing. Jin found them making out on the couch which made him scream and jumped so high that if Namjoon wouldn’t have been there, Jin surely would have died. For the first time in one month, Jimin slept over and Jungkook was so happy that he thanked his mother for having brought Jimin to him. And the spicy noodles too.