Chapter 6

Spicy Noodles

The next day

“And that’s how Tae and me got detention for having been in the toilets.” Jimin finished telling Jungkook as they were eating lunch in the restaurant.

“Oh my gosh, I really don’t get how he managed to make the tap break then burst!” Jungkook said, laughing out loud, tears streaming down his cheeks. “It wasn’t even broken to begin with!”

“I swear that to this day Tae still doesn’t know how he broke it.” Jimin stated, a fond smile on his face as he watched Jungkook calm down.

Jimin was glad that it wasn’t awkward between them. The peck he left on the younger’s cheek the day before was something out of the blue; he’d felt like he could do it so he did. It was still great to feel Jungkook’s skin, to feel a bit closer for a mere second.

“So, where do you wanna go later?” Jimin asked.

“We could go to my favourite record shop, it‘s like my favourite place in the world.” Jungkook answered.

“Oh, that’s cool! I love such places! There’s a vibe there that I really appreciate.”

“I like it too. Well, let’s finish so we can go. It’s been a while since I last went there.” Jungkook said and Jimin nodded.

As always, they walked to the shop, who wasn’t very far, without talking much. When they were almost there, Jungkook stopped and grabbed Jimin’s arm.

“I need to tell you something, hyung. The man who works here is my brother’s boyfriend. We might also come across Yoongi, my best friend because he works with him. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable so if you’re not ready to meet such important people for me, we can just go elsewhere.” Jungkook explained.

Jimin smiled.

“I’m very touched that you care about me so much but I can assure you that nothing would make me happier than to meet your family. And I guess that’s what they are to you, right? Family.”

“Yes. They are my family.” Jungkook stated.

“Then let’s go.”

They entered and Namjoon lifted his head up, ready to greet whoever entered with a polite smile. When he spotted Jungkook, his smile widened and he walked up to him, engulfing him in a tight embrace.

“Jungkook-ah! I’m so happy you came to see me.” He said, not having noticed Jimin yet.

He let go of Jungkook and finally noticed the other.

“And you are?” he politely asked. It’s unusual to see Jungkook with someone else than Yoongi or Jin for Namjoon.

“I’m Park Jimin. I’m Jungkook’s friend.”

“Nice to meet you Jimin-ssi. I’m Kim Namjoon, Jungkook’s brother’s boyfriend.” Namjoon said and they shook hands.

“Nice to meet you too. You can call me Jimin, it’s more friendly.”

“Only if you call me hyung, then.” Namjoon replied, smiling wide before turning back to Jungkook. “What brings you here?”

“Jimin hyung wanted to see what’s fun to do here and I thought of this place. You know how important it is to me.” Jungkook answered, beginning to look around as Namjoon nodded.

“Is there a story I should know of?” Jimin asked, walking towards the counter.

“Oh, you haven’t told Jimin yet, Jungkook?”

“Well, Jimin hyung, it’s here that I decided to pursue singing. Namjoon hyung is a musician. He writes and composes songs, he’s very talented. One day, he needed a vocalist. Usually, Jin hyung, my brother, sings for him but that day he wasn’t available. So, he asked me. I agreed because I’ve always loved singing and thought it would be fun. When I was done, Namjoon bugged me about how I had a wonderful voice and whatnot. I made my mom listen to the recording and she told me that I had to major in singing in college. I couldn’t refuse and I had no idea what to do anyway. Fortunately, I love what I’m studying.” Jungkook explained.

Namjoon was absolutely stunned to see Jungkook being so open with Jimin. Apparently, he had already told him about his mother and it warmed Namjoon’s heart. Jungkook had always been very shy and reserved and opening up was a very hard task. It had taken months for him to even be able to say hello to Namjoon.

“When did you meet?” he asked, curious.

“Oh, we met like a couple days ago. But we started hanging out yesterday.” Jimin stated.

“Yesterday?!” Namjoon exclaimed, looking at Jungkook, bewildered.

“Don’t say a single word, hyung.” Jungkook said, not even looking at Namjoon.

“I wasn’t going to. I’m happy you’ve made a new friend, Kook.” Namjoon replied.

Just then, the door to the shop opened again and a blue haired guy entered.

“Hyung, there was no sandwiches left so I took you a salad.” He said, going towards Namjoon, handing him a paper bag.

“Oh no! You know it’s never enough for me!” Namjoon complained, making the guy chuckle.

“I’m just kidding, I got your disgusting burger.” He said, finally noticing Jungkook’s presence. “Jungkookie! What brings you here, man!” he said, going to hug Jungkook.

“Yoongi-ah! I’m just hanging out with a new friend.” Jungkook replied, gesturing to Jimin. “This is Jimin hyung. He’s new here.”

“Hello. I’m Min Yoongi, Jungkook’s best friend.” Yoongi introduced himself, checking Jimin from head to toe before extending his hand.

“Park Jimin. Nice to meet you.” Jimin said, taking Yoongi’s hand. “I heard that you work here?”

“I do. I help Namjoon hyung with his music sometimes too. It’s a pretty chill life I’m living.” Yoongi answered, looking quite proud of himself.

“Yoongi didn’t wanna go to college so I took him to work here. Yoongi is a music prodigy so he’s of great help to me when I’m stuck on lyrics or melodies.” Namjoon explained.

Jimin’s lips formed an ‘o’ in understanding as he nodded in understanding.

“Anyway, are you searching for something today?” Namjoon asked.

“Um, not really. We just wanted to hang out with Jungkookie to be honest.” Jimin stated, a bit embarrassed. It looked like they had come only for Jimin to meet Namjoon and Yoongi.

“That’s okay. Do you want me to put some music on?”

“Yeah, why not? That could be fun.”

“Jimin hyung is a dance major.” Jungkook said, absentmindedly as he was still looking through the CDs.

“Hoseokie too. He’s in last year.” Yoongi said, going to take a seat behind the counter and finally taking his salad out.

“I’m in third year. Hip hop major.”

“Just like Hoseokie. You’ll probably meet him, he will be tutoring this year.” Yoongi explained.

Suddenly, music began to play. It was Im Jaebum’s Confession.

“Why are you so old, hyung?” Yoongi whined.

“It’s a classic you uncultured child.” Namjoon replied, making Yoongi roll his eyes and Jimin giggle.

“Hyung, how much is Crush’s new album?” Jungkook asked, showing an album to Namjoon.

“30 000 won. But for you I’ll make it 25 000.” Namjoon replied, taking a bite of his burger.

“Let me see if I have the money.” Jungkook said, taking a wallet out of his pocket. Jimin noticed that it looked quite old but decided to ask about it later.

Jungkook went to put the money on the counter in front of Yoongi, muttering something to Jungkook who blushed.

“Well, are we done here, Jimin hyung?” Jungkook asked.

“I guess.”

“Okay. Well, see you later Yoongi, hyung!” Jungkook said before taking Jimin’s arm and going out the door.

“You seem very close to them. It’s cute.” Jimin commented when they were far enough from the shop.

“Well, I’ve known Yoongi my whole life and Namjoon hyung is my brother’s boyfriend. They’ll probably get married one day so it’s better if we get along. But they are my family and, unlike other people, I got the chance to choose them.” Jungkook explained.

“Can I ask a question? Though it might be a touchy subject for you.” Jimin carefully asked.

Jungkook had opened up a lot in the span of 24 hours and Jimin didn’t want him to take a step back.

“I’ll see if I can answer it.” Jungkook stated, naturally taking the direction of the beach.

“When you pulled your wallet out, I couldn’t help but notice that it looked quite old. Like it was someone else’s before it became yours.” Jimin quietly asked, his voice almost a whisper.

Jungkook took a sharp breath at hearing the question and sighed deeply, staying silent for a couple of seconds.

“It’s… complicated.” He said after a moment.

“You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.” Jimin hastily said.

“That’s not it. I want to tell you but I don’t know where to begin.” Jungkook replied.

“Look, we can just… I don’t know, go somewhere calm and you’ll have all the time to tell me about it.” Jimin suggested, making Jungkook smile.

“You know exactly what I need. That’s pretty amazing.” He said, chuckling.

“Well, I’m talented at figuring people out. That’s one of my many charms.” The older joked.

“I’m glad for that talent then. Let’s go to my spot.” Jungkook stated, leading the way.

He was just about to grab Jimin’s arm but refrained. He had done this enough in the span of 24 hours. He wasn’t one to like being touched or touching people so it was new.

They walked quietly to Jungkook’s spot. That was something both boys liked. The comfortable silence that took place between them when they had nothing to say, nothing to talk about. They just liked the cosiness of it all, of just being together for the sake of not being alone. The fact that they appreciated the other’s presence was only a bonus.

When they arrived, they sat down, revelling in the sound of the crashing waves. They stayed quiet for some time more when Jungkook finally lied down, sighing deeply.

“This wallet was to my father. The so-called father I never had. I never knew him because he left my mom when she got pregnant. My brother and I don’t have the same father but they were both s who left my mom. Anyway, this wallet was to my father, it was a gift he gave her back before disappearing. My mom decided to gift it to me before she died. I use it for her, because she wanted me to. My mom and my brother are the most important people in my life and I never needed my father.” Jungkook explained, a little bitter at the end.

“I get it. That’s okay. No need to feel embarrassed.” Jimin stated, lying down next to Jungkook.

“I’m not embarrassed.” Jungkook complained.

“Okay.” Jimin simply replied.

They stayed quiet for a while before Jimin spoke.

“My dad had a hard time accepting my uality. I don’t know if he’s entirely okay with it now but at least he doesn’t cover his ears when I speak of my boyfriends or just guys I fancy. I discovered quite early I was gay. I was around 12, I think? But accepting it was a whole other topic. I was all alone to understand that it wasn’t wrong to love someone the society didn’t expect you to love. I was all alone to learn to not be ashamed of being who I am, no matter what. When I finally came to terms with all of this, I wanted my parents to know first. I was 18. I cried a lot that day. Because even though I knew it wasn’t wrong, I felt like I had failed them. I felt like I was a disappointment. And in some way, to my father, I was. But my mom held me and told me that he’d come around. He did. And even though he still feels apologetic about it, I don’t care. Because in the end, he didn’t reject me. He didn’t throw me out of the house, telling me to never come back. So, yes, maybe he wasn’t the best father but he was there. And I love him.”

When Jimin was done, Jungkook was as out of breath as if he’d been the one to speak. He wanted to hug Jimin for being so brave but he also wanted to thank him for telling him something so personal. He understood the message behind the story. That Jungkook had needed a dad at some point in his life but had convinced himself that he didn’t because there wasn’t one for him. Jungkook smiled.

“I never needed my father because Jin and mom were there as substitutes. I needed a father not my father. And your father is the best. He accepts you and even if it took him some time, in the end, he did. My mom wasn’t too surprised when I made my coming out. She had seen it coming when my brother came out years before I did. I don’t know how or why but she’s been okay with it. She loved Namjoon. He’s nothing like my brother and that’s why they match so well. She always told Jin that she would love for them to be married, that she would plan everything.” Jungkook’s voice cracked, unable to talk anymore.

Jimin took Jungkook’s hand and squeezed it.

“She won’t be able to plan it but wherever she is now, she’ll watch it. And she’ll be proud and happy to see how much you’ve grown.” Jimin softly said.

“I’m sure she would have loved you. You resemble her a lot. You’re always nice and gentle. You know how I feel and what to do without me having to tell you. You have that calming aura that makes me feel at ease with you. Like I can be myself with no filter, without having to act at all. And that’s so refreshing.”

“I’m glad you feel that way around me, Jungkookie. Because I feel at ease with you too.”