Chapter 5

Spicy Noodles

The next morning, Jungkook was a bit excited to meet Jimin. He tried to not let Jin see it but the older knew him too well.

“Jungkook-ah, pick an outfit already and stop acting like a schoolgirl or you won’t be ready on time!” he said, a playful smile on his face.

“Hyung, I don’t care about what outfit I should wear. I just want this to be over already.” Jungkook replied, huffing and ignoring the comment about him acting like a schoolgirl.

“How can something that barely started be over?” Jin said, receiving a glare from his little brother.

“Go away already, I’m gonna take a shower.” Jungkook stated, going to the bathroom.

 

Jimin was on FaceTime with Taehyung, trying to choose an outfit, as usual.

“This shirt is terrific Jimin-ah, you need to wear this one!” Taehyung exclaimed when Jimin showed him a black shirt with red hearts, red flowers and red lips-looking like shapes on it.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course! With black jeans and your blonde hair it will be wonderful!”

“I’m trusting you on this one!” Jimin said, laughing nervously.

“Was I ever wrong?” Taehyung asked, smug.

“No. But we never know!” joked the blonde.

“Stop being rude and get on the move already or you’re gonna be late!” Taehyung said, smiling to his ears. He was genuinely happy and rooting for his friend.

“You’re right! Thanks Tae, love you!”

“Love you too!” Taehyung replied before hanging up.

 

20 minutes later

Jimin was sitting inside the restaurant, at his usual table, waiting for Jungkook. The latter was 5 minutes late but Jimin didn’t care. He knew he would soon arrive. As he thought this, the door opened, revealing Jungkook. He looked around the restaurant quickly and when he spotted Jimin, he went to sit in front of him.

“Sorry, I’m late.” Jungkook apologised.

“It’s okay. How are you?” Jimin asked, smiling so wide Jungkook felt himself blush slightly.

“I’m fine. How about you?”

“I’m doing great. Do you wanna order?”

“Yeah.” Jungkook said, looking to the counter. “Ajumeoni!” he softly called and the same lady as usual came to him.

“Are you ordering, dears?” She asked, smiling.

“Yes.” Jimin answered. “I’ll take… spicy rice cakes and kimbaps.”

“I’ll take the usual.” Jungkook said, almost whispering.

She nodded and went back, leaving the boys alone.

“Do you come here a lot?” Jimin asked. Jungkook looked at him before adverting his eyes.

“Almost every day.” Jungkook answered.

“Can I ask why?” Jimin asked, his voice softening.

Jungkook tensed at the question and when he looked toward Jimin again, the latter saw such sadness in his eyes he felt it deep in his core.

“No.” Jungkook answered, ruder than he intended to. “I’m sorry. That’s just too personal… yet.”

“It’s okay. Maybe we can get to know each other a little without talking about sore points?” Jimin asked, a warm smile on his lips.

Jungkook nodded, a smile emerging on his soft-looking pink lips.

“Okay! So, I’m Park Jimin, 20, dance major. I moved here because I wanted to be closer to my family but also because of the new campus.”

“Well, I’m Jeon Jungkook, 19, singing major. I’ve lived here my whole life and contrary to everyone expected of me, I decided to stay here.” Jungkook said. Sensing that Jimin was about to ask a question, he added. “I was top of my high school so everyone was expecting me to go up to Seoul but I didn’t want to. And that’s a sore point.”

“That’s okay. I was born here, you know? But my parents sent me to Seoul when I was 6 to stay at my aunt’s because my grand-father was very ill and they had to take care of him.” Jimin stated before getting up to fill his cup with water. “Want some water?” he asked Jungkook.

“Yeah, thanks.” Jungkook answered and Jimin smiled widely.

It took some seconds for Jungkook to understand. He had asked the older to stop filling his cup with water but he was doing it again. Jungkook scoffed.

“You’re really unbelievable.” He said, taking his now full cup.

“I know. But this time I asked your permission first. That’s progress.” Jimin joked, making Jungkook giggle.

“Yes.” he said, looking at Jimin, a bit nervous. One reason being Jimin’s eye-smile but another being the question he was about to ask.

“Do it.” Jimin said, surprising him. “Ask away. I’ll answer you.”

“Why did your parents send you to your aunt’s?”

“My grand-father was very ill. He had lung cancer, terminal phase. Not even two months later, he passed away. I was very close to him so I was very sad and my parents thought it was better if I stayed with my aunt for some more time. A couple of years later, when it was time for me to go back to Busan, I didn’t want to. I had discovered dance and it helped me a lot to get over his death. My aunt was okay with me staying at hers and my parents too so I stayed. But my parents are getting older now and my little brother is gonna enter college and he wants to stay here so I decided to come back.” Jimin explained.

Jungkook was a bit shocked that he had told him everything so easily. They didn’t even know each other! But Jungkook understood that Jimin could tell him everything because he was over it now. He wondered if he would ever get over it himself…

Their food arrived and they immediately dived in. Some minutes later, Jungkook looked up to see Jimin staring at him.

“I hope you’ll tell me all about it one day.” The older quietly said.

“I think I will. We’re becoming friends, aren’t we?” Jungkook asked, a genuine smile on his face.

“Of course we are!” Jimin replied, smiling.

They finished their meal quietly, chatting about this and that and went out of the restaurant after paying.

“So, are you still willing to spend some time with me?” Jimin asked, looking expectantly at Jungkook.

Jungkook thought about it for a short second. The lunch was quite enjoyable and even if he went home, he would only lie in bed, maybe take a nap and that’d be the end of the day for him.

“Yeah. What do you wanna do?” he asked, walking away from the restaurant.

“How do young people have fun nowadays?” Jimin asked, staying close to the younger.

“I don’t know. I’m not really a fun kid to be honest.” Jungkook answered, embarrassed.

“I find you fun.” Jimin said, making Jungkook blush. “Well, let’s go to the mall then? How do you like that?”

“I guess that’s fine.”

Even though the mall was kinda far, they walked. Jimin was telling how it was living in Seoul, how he met his best friend. Jungkook liked the fact that Jimin didn’t expect him to talk. He must be curious but the fact that he didn’t push anything made Jungkook feel very comfortable and he hadn’t felt that way in a very long time. Sometimes, Jimin would stop talking and Jungkook would turn to him, to find the older looking at him. Jungkook would quickly advert his eyes and pick up the pace a bit before slowing back down.

When they finally arrived, Jimin turned to Jungkook and asked him where he wanted to go.

“There’s a games room if you want?”

“Oh, really? Let’s go then!” Jimin said, letting Jungkook lead the way. The latter smiled, finding the other cute.

 

One hour later

“How come you’re so good at DDR, Jungkookie? I couldn’t beat you even though I’m a dance student.” Jimin asked, pouting as he ate his strawberry flavoured ice cream.

“I was born with talent.” Jungkook answered, cocking his eyebrow in a cheeky manner, making Jimin laugh out loud.

“Brat. I guess I’ll have to get my revenge.” Jimin said, making Jungkook laugh.

Jimin loved Jungkook’s laugh. He liked that he felt relaxed and comfortable enough to laugh heartily. The way his nose wrinkled and his thin pink lips stretched, showing his bunny white teeth as he closed his eyes and threw his head back was just so endearing to Jimin.

“Can I taste your ice cream?” he asked when he was done laughing.

“No. You’re mean.” Jimin said, turning away from Jungkook who snorted.

“Stop acting like a baby and let me get a taste.” Jungkook said, reaching his hand and taking Jimin’s ice cream.

“Hey!” he exclaimed as Jungkook took a bite.

“Hmm, it’s too sweet for me.” he said, returning it to Jimin.

“Says the one who took caramel.”

“I don’t think I asked for your opinion.”

“You’re so mean. I’m outta here.” Jimin said, getting up and walking away.

Jungkook got up too, reaching Jimin.

“Okay, I’m sorry hyung. Please, stay with me?” he asked, making his best doe eyes. Jimin deeply sighed.

“What do you expect me to say? No?” he said, making Jungkook smile. “Okay, since you apologised, I’m staying with you. Do you wanna go to the beach?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

The beach was only 10 minutes away from the mall. When they got there, they weren’t surprised to see that it was crowded since it was a Saturday.

“Gosh, there’s a lot of people.” Jimin said, looking crestfallen.

“Come on hyung, I know a place no one goes to.” Jungkook says, taking Jimin’s arm and dragging him away from the crowded beach.

“It’s okay, I don’t want to bother you we can–”

“I suggested it so, it doesn’t bother me. It’s a secret place no one knows of.” Jungkook said, stopping and turning to Jimin, smiling to him.

“Are you sure you wanna share it with me?” Jimin asked.

“Yes.” Jungkook simply answered, releasing Jimin’s arm. “But it’s a bit far though. You wanna take the bus or just walk?”

“Let’s walk. The weather is very nice.”

So, they walked to the secret place Jungkook knew. They didn’t talk, only looked at each other from time to time, smiling. It was comfortable. Jungkook felt very at ease with Jimin after having spent a couple of hours with him. He knew a bit more about the older and it had made him relax too, he wasn’t a stranger anymore. Jungkook wanted to open up a bit to him hence why he was bringing him to his secret spot. Only Jin and Yoongi knew about it but he wanted Jimin to know about it too.

When they arrived, Jungkook took a deep breath and took Jimin’s arm again, lightly pulling him along.

“Come on, hyung.” He said softly.

They walked down to the shore, taking their shoes off and going to hide under a boulder. Jimin sat down and looked around.

“There really is no one here. How did you find this place?” he asked, looking at Jungkook who sat down next to him.

“It’s a pretty personal story.” He brought his knees to his chest and put his chin on it, staring at the horizon.

“You don’t have to tell me if it’s hard.” Jimin said, bringing a hand to Jungkook’s shoulder.

“I know but I want to.” Jungkook said, not looking at Jimin. He took another deep breath and exhaled loudly.

“My mom passed away a couple months ago. She got run over by a man who was drunk driving. The day I heard the news, I couldn’t believe it. I wanted to be alone but everywhere I went, I was surrounded by people, I felt oppressed. So I ran as far as I could, not watching where I was going until I found myself here. It was March so it was still pretty cold and there wasn’t anyone but it still helped me relax. It became my secret spot, my safe-place. Every time I don’t feel well or need to be alone, I come here.” Jungkook explained.

He was feeling light now that he had told everything to Jimin. In fact, it had been easier than he had though to tell him the story.

“I’m sorry for your loss, Jungkook. I’m sure she was a wonderful person.” Jimin said, squeezing the younger’s shoulder, trying to comfort him.

“Thanks.” Jungkook said, feeling his whole body warm up at Jimin’s touch.

“It means a lot to me that you opened up about this. Can I ask a question? You don’t have to answer if it’s too personal.” Jimin asked and Jungkook nodded. “Does the death of your mother have something to do with the restaurant?”

Jungkook sighed. It was indeed personal and, actually, he’d been expecting this question. But he already told Jimin everything so why not explain this bit as well?

“My mom used to work at the restaurant. She had worked there almost her whole life and that’s why I’m so close to the ajummas there. They saw me grow up. My mom’s speciality was spicy cold noodles and that’s why I always only eat that.” Jungkook’s voice broke and tears began to fall. He felt Jimin coming closer and it made him shiver slightly. “It helps to numb the pain but it’s also like she’s still here, with me.”

Jimin felt tears coming too but he held them back. He had to comfort Jungkook, not cry with him. He thought that Jungkook must feel very embarrassed to cry in front of someone he didn’t know. So, he got closer to him and hugged him, his back.

“I get it. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you to have lost your mother. You’re brave. We don’t really know each other yet but I can tell you that you’re the strongest person I’ve met. You’re so young and it’s so unfair that you had to lose your mother now and in such a brutal way.” Jimin said in the softest way possible.

Jungkook sobbed in his arms, wetting his shirt. He was thankful for Jimin’s presence, for the way he was holding him and for the comforting words. They stayed like this for a moment, until Jungkook stopped crying.

“Thank you, hyung.” Jungkook said, his voice hoarse and his eyes red as he pulled himself out of Jimin’s embrace.

He looked at the older and his heart skipped a beat. It was like seeing Jimin for the first time and he realised how beautiful he was. His face was soft and he looked nice and warm, just like his mother did. Jimin sweetly smiled at him and he felt his face heat up.

“Do you want me to walk you home?” he asked.

Without an ounce of hesitation, Jungkook nodded.

“If you don’t mind, of course. I could use a friend right now.” He said, shy.

“I suggested it, right? Let’s go, Jungkookie.” Jimin replied, getting up and holding his hand out to help Jungkook to get up.

They took the bus back to Jungkook’s home and sat together in a comfortable silence in the almost empty bus.

They got off at their stop and Jungkook turned to Jimin as the bus drove away.

“Are you going to accompany me to the door or do you want to go home?” the younger asked.

“To the door, Jungkookie. I can’t let my friend down right now, after all we’ve been through.” Jimin answered, making Jungkook snigger as they began to walk.

“I’m sorry I spoiled the mood.” Jungkook almost whispered after a couple of minutes.

“God, Jungkookie, don’t apologise for being human! I loved every second I spent with you, even if that meant I had to see you cry.” Jimin replied.

“I know, I’m very ugly when I cry.” Jungkook said, forcing himself to laugh to hide his embarrassment.

“That’s not what I meant, silly. It broke my heart to see you cry. I never thought that someone who looked as lively as you could break down like that.” Jimin said.

Jungkook was at a loss for words. He didn’t know what to say and he felt an awkward silence beginning to bloom when Jimin spoke again.

“And, I don’t know how you’ll take that, but you look pretty when you cry. Broken but pretty.”

Jungkook was now absolutely stunned. He almost stopped in his tracks but thought that if he did, it would really become awkward between them. So, he went for an answer.

“I’ll take that as a compliment. It’s always good to hear that we look pretty even if our eyes are red and puffy and our lips as dry as the Sahara Desert.” He answered, making the older laugh.

Jungkook watched Jimin laugh, his eyes melting into crescents as he flashed his white teeth and threw his head back, stopping momentarily. Jungkook had found him beautiful before but right now, as he was laughing so freely, Jungkook thought he looked gorgeous. So, naturally, he had to say it.

“You look very pretty when you laugh. I like it.” he said, his whole face turning red. He was glad to see Jimin blush too.

“Thanks, Jungkook-ah.”

After this, a comfortable silence took place again as they walked to Jungkook’s home, their hands involuntarily brushing from time to time, making them smile.

When they arrived in front of Jungkook’s building, they looked at each other, a bit disappointed that they had to part already. Both had wanted for this day to last forever, they enjoyed the other’s presence so much.

“Well, here I am.” Jungkook said, getting shy all of a sudden, bringing one of his hand to his nape.

“Yeah. Guess we part here.” Jimin replied.

“Yeah…” Jungkook trailed on. He was surprised of his own reluctance to let the older go.

“Well…” Jimin said, taking a step back.

“D-do you wanna come up for a coffee or something?” Jungkook asked, the words leaving his mouth before he could even process them. He wanted the earth to swallow him whole but it was too late, he had invited a stranger to his house.

“Jungkook, it’s not that I don’t want to, trust me, but I don’t want to intrude and I think that it’d be better to keep that for another time. I mean, we don’t know each other well enough, you know?” Jimin replied, his heart sinking at Jungkook’s sad expression. “But let’s meet tomorrow and I’ll tell you more about myself, okay?”

“Alright.” Jungkook answered, looking a bit more cheerful.

“See you tomorrow then.”

“See you tomorrow, hyung.”

Jimin took a step closer to Jungkook, quickly left a peck on Jungkook’s cheek and ran off before the younger could say or do anything.

Needless to say that Jungkook’s heart kept him from sleeping that night.