Chapter 4

Spicy Noodles

The next morning, Jungkook was a bit excited to meet Jimin. He tried to not let Jin see it but the older knew him too well.

“Jungkook-ah, pick an outfit already and stop acting like a schoolgirl or you won’t be ready on time!” he said, a playful smile on his face.

“Hyung, I don’t care about what outfit I should wear. I just want this to be over already.” Jungkook replied, huffing and ignoring the comment about him acting like a schoolgirl.

“How can something that barely started be over?” Jin said, receiving a glare from his little brother.

“Go away already, I’m gonna take a shower.” Jungkook stated, going to the bathroom.

 

Jimin was on FaceTime with Taehyung, trying to choose an outfit, as usual.

“This shirt is terrific Jimin-ah, you need to wear this one!” Taehyung exclaimed when Jimin showed him a black shirt with red hearts, red flowers and red lips-looking like shapes on it.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course! With black jeans and your blonde hair it will be wonderful!”

“I’m trusting you on this one!” Jimin said, laughing nervously.

“Was I ever wrong?” Taehyung asked, smug.

“No. But we never know!” joked the blonde.

“Stop being rude and get on the move already or you’re gonna be late!” Taehyung said, smiling to his ears. He was genuinely happy and rooting for his friend.

“You’re right! Thanks Tae, love you!”

“Love you too!” Taehyung replied before hanging up.

 

20 minutes later

Jimin was sitting inside the restaurant, at his usual table, waiting for Jungkook. The latter was 5 minutes late but Jimin didn’t care. He knew he would soon arrive. As he thought this, the door opened, revealing Jungkook. He looked around the restaurant quickly and when he spotted Jimin, he went to sit in front of him.

“Sorry, I’m late.” Jungkook apologised.

“It’s okay. How are you?” Jimin asked, smiling so wide Jungkook felt himself blush slightly.

“I’m fine. How about you?”

“I’m doing great. Do you wanna order?”

“Yeah.” Jungkook said, looking to the counter. “Ajumeoni!” he softly called and the same lady as usual came to him.

“Are you ordering, dears?” She asked, smiling.

“Yes.” Jimin answered. “I’ll take… spicy rice cakes and kimbaps.”

“I’ll take the usual.” Jungkook said, almost whispering.

She nodded and went back, leaving the boys alone.

“Do you come here a lot?” Jimin asked. Jungkook looked at him before adverting his eyes.

“Almost every day.” Jungkook answered.

“Can I ask why?” Jimin asked, his voice softening.

Jungkook tensed at the question and when he looked toward Jimin again, the latter saw such sadness in his eyes he felt it deep in his core.

“No.” Jungkook answered, ruder than he intended to. “I’m sorry. That’s just too personal… yet.”

“It’s okay. Maybe we can get to know each other a little without talking about sore points?” Jimin asked, a warm smile on his lips.

Jungkook nodded, a smile emerging on his soft-looking pink lips.

“Okay! So, I’m Park Jimin, 20, dance major. I moved here because I wanted to be closer to my family but also because of the new campus.”

“Well, I’m Jeon Jungkook, 19, singing major. I’ve lived here my whole life and contrary to everyone expected of me, I decided to stay here.” Jungkook said. Sensing that Jimin was about to ask a question, he added. “I was top of my high school so everyone was expecting me to go up to Seoul but I didn’t want to. And that’s a sore point.”

“That’s okay. I was born here, you know? But my parents sent me to Seoul when I was 6 to stay at my aunt’s because my grand-father was very ill and they had to take care of him.” Jimin stated before getting up to fill his cup with water. “Want some water?” he asked Jungkook.

“Yeah, thanks.” Jungkook answered and Jimin smiled widely.

It took some seconds for Jungkook to understand. He had asked the older to stop filling his cup with water but he was doing it again. Jungkook scoffed.

“You’re really unbelievable.” He said, taking his now full cup.

“I know. But this time I asked your permission first. That’s progress.” Jimin joked, making Jungkook giggle.

“Yes.” he said, looking at Jimin, a bit nervous. One reason being Jimin’s eye-smile but another being the question he was about to ask.

“Do it.” Jimin said, surprising him. “Ask away. I’ll answer you.”

“Why did your parents send you to your aunt’s?”

“My grand-father was very ill. He had lung cancer, terminal phase. Not even two months later, he passed away. I was very close to him so I was very sad and my parents thought it was better if I stayed with my aunt for some more time. A couple of years later, when it was time for me to go back to Busan, I didn’t want to. I had discovered dance and it helped me a lot to get over his death. My aunt was okay with me staying at hers and my parents too so I stayed. But my parents are getting older now and my little brother is gonna enter college and he wants to stay here so I decided to come back.” Jimin explained.

Jungkook was a bit shocked that he had told him everything so easily. They didn’t even know each other! But Jungkook understood that Jimin could tell him everything because he was over it now. He wondered if he would ever get over it himself…

Their food arrived and they immediately dived in. Some minutes later, Jungkook looked up to see Jimin staring at him.

“I hope you’ll tell me all about it one day.” The older quietly said.

“I think I will. We’re becoming friends, aren’t we?” Jungkook asked, a genuine smile on his face.

“Of course we are!” Jimin replied, smiling.

They finished their meal quietly, chatting about this and that and went out of the restaurant after paying.