Chapter 8

Spicy Noodles

The next day

“Tae, be faster will you? I don’t want Jungkook to see how disorganised we are.” Jimin said, stressed.

“Chill, Min. There’s still half an hour before he arrives and I just got out of the shower.” Taehyung replied, a towel around his hips as he tried to find his clothes.

“Go dress up and dry your hair while I finish cooking, then.”

Just when Taehyung was done dressing up and Jimin done cooking, the bell rang.

“Oh my gosh! He’s here!” Jimin exclaimed, surprised.

“Go open the door then! Don’t stay here and panic!” Taehyung scolded him with a little smile on his lips.

Jimin shot him a death look and went to open the door.

“Hi Jungkookie!”

“Hi, Jiminie hyung.”

“Come in, come in!” Jimin said, stepping away so Jungkook could walk in.

Jungkook had never been to Jimin’s flat before, preferring to bring the older to his house instead. But as he took off his shoes and stepped into the living room, looking around, he almost felt at home. The deco was so Jimin that it almost made Jungkook blush. Everything was in tones of blue, from the curtains to the pillows on the couch. Even the chairs and dining table were sky blue. It felt appeasing to stand there.

“Hello, Jungkook. I’m Taehyung, Jimin’s best friend.” Taehyung said, extending his hand to Jungkook.

He looked a bit surprised at first but shook his hand, a little smile on his lips.

“I’m Jungkook, Jimin hyung’s friend.”

“I know.” Taehyung said, flashing a boxy smile.

“Jungkookie, are you hungry?” Jimin asked, quickly coming to Jungkook’s rescue.

“Well, you invited me for lunch, right?” Jungkook asked, teasing Jimin.

“Right.” Jimin said, embarrassed. “Well, sit down and I’ll bring the food to the table.”

Taehyung sat down first looking up at Jungkook.

“You can sit wherever, Jungkook.”

“Thanks.” Jungkook replied, sitting in front of Taehyung.

“Tae, come get the dishes!” Jimin called from the kitchen.

Taehyung groaned and got up.

“Stop trying to make him uncomfortable. That’s not funny at all.” Jimin quietly scolded him.

“You’re no fun. You told me he’s cute when he blushes, I just want to see it for myself.”

“Shut up. You better behave or I’ll kill you with my bare hands.”

Taehyung rolled his eyes and they came back to the living room, Taehyung with bowls and spoons and Jimin with the cooking pot.

They put everything on the table and Taehyung sat back down.

“It smells really good, hyung. What did you make?” Jungkook asked.

“You told me you liked kimchi so I made kimchi stew with tuna and some rice.” Jimin answered.

“Sounds good! Now, let’s hope for a good taste too!” Taehyung joked, making Jungkook giggle.

“Shut up. You can’t make decent instant noodles, you have no right to talk.” Jimin said, sticking his tongue out to Taehyung.

“You’re so mean.” He replied, pouting.

Jimin rolled his eyes and grabbed two bowls. He put a big ladleful of the stew in one and rice in another before giving them to Jungkook.

“Thanks hyung.”

He did the same for Taehyung who replied with a ‘git’ and then served himself and sat down next to Taehyung.

“Enjoy!” he said, clapping in his hands.

“Thanks for the meal!” both Taehyung and Jungkook replied.

Jungkook took a big spoonful of the stew with some rice, blew on it once and put it in his mouth. He chewed slowly, ignoring Jimin’s anxious gaze. When he swallowed, he looked at Jimin, smiling widely.

“It’s delicious! The best kimchi stew with tuna I’ve ever tasted!” Jungkook said, immediately taking another mouthful.

“I don’t usually compliment you but he’s right! It’s delicious!” Taehyung said, kissing Jimin on the cheek.

“Thanks, guys.” Jimin replied, his cheeks heating up, taking a mouthful himself.

“So, Jungkook, do you want me to tell you stories about Jiminie?” Taehyung asked after a couple of minutes.

“Yeah, I’d like that.” Jungkook answered, smiling.

“Okay, let me tell you about the day we broke the tap in the boys’ bathroom–”

“I already know this one. And Jimin hyung told me you were the one to break it!” Jungkook said, laughing at the memory.

“Look, it wasn’t only my fault! Jimin should have told me the tap was broken!” Taehyung said, defending himself.

“It was not broken Tae! When will you understand?” Jimin said, exasperated.

“Anyway! Let me think of another story…” Taehyung trailed, tapping his chin with his finger, as in deep thoughts. “Ah! The one about how Jiminie and I became friends?”

“Yes, it could be interesting.” Jungkook replied, making Taehyung smile widely.

“Well, it all started in primary school. We were in the same class and it had been a couple of weeks since school had begun. I was kinda energetic, always making a mess and Jimin was very calm and diligent, always listening to every word the teacher said. I didn’t like him at all because I found him boring. He had no friends at all and one day, we reached for the same toy to play with. He gave it to me and, for some reason, it made me angry. So, I screamed at him.” Taehyung said, pausing to see if Jungkook was keeping up.

“What did you tell him?” the younger asked, eager.

“I told him that he was boring, that if he wanted the toy he should fight for it. It made him sad and he began to cry. It made me sad to see him cry, I didn’t want him to. The teacher scolded me for making him cry, telling me that it was not nice to scream at someone. The thing is! After this, we once again reached for the same toy another day and this time he fought for it, telling me why he wanted to play with the toy and why he needed it more than I did. I was pleased by his come back and that’s how we became friends.” Taehyung finished the story, his eyes shining.

“That’s a very cute story! And I understand now why you’re always bickering!” Jungkook said, clapping his hands.

“Seriously, he’s so annoying sometimes, I don’t know how I could choose him as my best friend.” Jimin said, rolling his eyes as he finished his meal.

“You didn’t choose me! I forced you to make me your best friend. I knew from this day that I wouldn’t be able to live if I didn’t have you as a friend.” Taehyung said, sincerity shining in his eyes.

Jungkook was surprised by how honest Taehyung was being. He was joking a second before and now he was as serious as he could, confessing his love for his best friend.

“I love you too Tae.” Jimin said, kissing him on the cheek.

Jungkook felt a little jealous, wanting Jimin to kiss him on the cheek too but tried to not let it show.

“Anyway, are y’all almost done?” Jimin asked and Jungkook nodded, finishing his bowl in three big mouthfuls and getting up to bring his dishes to the kitchen when Jimin took them from his hands.

“You’re the guest here, let me do it.” Jimin said, already making his way to the kitchen.

Jungkook sat back down, a little pout on his lips and his heart beating fast at how their fingers had brushed when Jimin took the bowls from his hands.

“Jimin is like that. He always does everything himself. He doesn’t even allow me to help him.” Taehyung said, not noticing Jimin’s return.

“That’s because you’re a walking disaster.” Jimin said, chuckling. “Will you be done eating today or should I wait until tomorrow?” he asked, feigning annoyance.

“I’m almost done, mom!” Taehyung replied, rolling his eyes and quickly finishing his rice. “There you go.” He said, handing his dishes to Jimin who brought them to the kitchen.

The three boys spent the afternoon playing video games. Jungkook discovered that Taehyung absolutely loved video games and was good at them whereas Jimin only played because his best friend did. Jimin and Taehyung kept on bickering the whole afternoon, almost making Jungkook feel left out. Almost because every time, Jimin caught on and included him in the bicker, mostly to make him take his side.

“I have to go or Jin will begin to pester me, texting me a message letter by letter.” Jungkook said, chuckling. He was at the door, saying goodbye to Jimin and Taehyung.

“It was cool to spend the day with you, Jungkook!” Taehyung said, showing his fist to the younger. Jungkook fist-bumped him, making Taehyung smile from ear to ear.

“It was nice meeting you Taehyung hyung.” Jungkook said, turning to Jimin. “See you soon, hyung.” He said, his cheeks heating up.

Taehyung sensed that he was not wanted there so he made his way back to the living room, far enough to not hear what they would be saying. Both Jimin and Jungkook were thankful for that.

“Aren’t we meeting tomorrow?” Jimin asked.

“Ah, no. It will be your last day with Taehyung hyung and I have things to do tomorrow anyway.” Jungkook said, scratching his nape.

He wasn’t lying but he was not saying the whole truth as well. It was still a bit too personal for Jungkook to tell Jimin.

“It’s okay. See you soon, then.” Jimin said and after hesitating half a second, he leaned in, planting a soft peck on Jungkook’s cheek before quietly closing the door, leaving Jungkook frozen.

 

“So, how did it go?” Jin asked as Jungkook opened the door. He noticed that Namjoon was there too.

“It was great.” Jungkook replied.

“That’s it?” Jin asked, eager.

“Maybe I should go.” Namjoon began but Jungkook shook his head.

“No, you can stay it’s just… Jimin kissed me.” Jungkook quietly said.

Jin screamed, throwing himself on Namjoon who caught him in extremis before he knocked his head on the coffee table.

“WHAT?!” he shouted, going to pull Jungkook in the living, throwing him on the ground and taking his head between his hands. “What do you mean he kissed you?” he asked, his breath ragged.

“I-I mean, on the cheek. He kissed me on the cheek.” Jungkook clarified, his whole face red.

“That’s cute, Jungkook-ah. I’m happy for you.” Namjoon said, smiling widely.

Jin stood frozen, trying to calm down.

“O-okay… That’s great too, I mean a kiss on the cheek is good.” He said, looking a bit disappointed.

“Jinnie, I didn’t kiss you right away when we were dating so you shouldn’t be surprised that it was a kiss on the cheek.” Namjoon told his boyfriend who came back on the couch, cuddling close to him.

“And I want to make the first step for our first kiss.” Jungkook said. “I plan on confessing soon.”

“Seriously?” Jin asked, totally surprised.

“Of course. I mean, now that I’m sure of my feelings for Jimin hyung, I don’t see what’s holding me back.” Jungkook said, shrugging his shoulders.

“That’s great Jungkook! Maybe you don’t realise it but that’s a big step!” Namjoon said, pride showing on his face.

“I guess. Jimin hyung makes me wanna do things I never thought I could want. It’s really strange but I like it.” Jungkook admitted.

“So, do you have a plan for your confession?” Jin asked.

“No. I think I’ll just tell him straight on.”

“You mean gay on.” Jin joked, making Jungkook scoff.

“You can say so, yeah.”

“Do as you want Kook, we have no say in your decision.”

“Before we decide what to eat for dinner, do you still wanna go to the cemetery tomorrow?” Jin asked.

“Yes. I miss her and I want to tell her about all that happened lately.” Jungkook answered, getting up from the floor and taking his phone out to order some take out.