a slight shift

INEVITABLE
eunae whips her head after hearing her wife's cheery voice from her office.
 
curious, eunae walks over and peeks through the small crack in the door, seeing her wife video calling someone on her laptop.
 
"hey, tiffany, how are you? i haven't heard from you in a while," seulgi says to the pretty woman on the screen.
 
eunae knitted her brows. it's that professor t again.
 
there's something about that professor t--tiffany--that doesn't sit well with eunae. she couldn't tell what or why, but she's always been jealous of the said professor since the day seulgi introduced them from before.
 
maybe because she's pretty and hot?
 
but seulgi assured her many times that she's not feeling anything romantic towards her former university professor.
 
eunae remembers her conversation with joohyun last week, when she told the financial advisor about the changes she noticed in her wife's behavior.
 
she didn't mean it at the time when she said she thinks seulgi's having an affair. but seeing how bright seulgi is now makes her think she could be right.
 
could that be with tiffany?
 
it's impossible. eunae shakes her head, turning to walk away from seulgi's office.
 
is she kidding herself? tiffany is in the states and has a wife too. if seulgi is cheating, they wouldn't have had that call knowing it's eunae's off today.
 
right. right. she's just overthinking.
 
she should trust her wife with all her heart because seulgi never cheated on her.
 
and if seulgi's cheating on her with someone, she wouldn't leave her phone anywhere, lying around the house for eunae to see.
 
which prompts eunae to check the said phone.
 
nothing suspicious. no weird messages or calls from anyone she doesn't know. she also browsed through seulgi's social media and hasn't seen anything suspicious too.
 
eunae sits on the couch and sighs.
 
what the hell is happening to her?
 
is she really going this far to check seulgi's phone?
 
she exits from all the apps and stares at her wife's wallpaper, a new drawing of the character irene in a pantsuit. she remembers seulgi mentioning some fans requesting to create a poster of the main characters in a suit.
 
this made her open seulgi's gallery. she browsed through the photos and images that comprise majorly of their pictures together, some creative shots of anything, and irene's.
 
eunea stops at a particular image of irene who's back with her head tilt on the side--showing her side profile. eunae squints because even if irene's eyes are covered by her hair, her nose and lips seems familiar.
 
eunae couldn't understand why it reminds her of joohyun.
 
as she goes through the other images, she couldn't deny the joohyun-vibe this character is emitting.
 
but that's impossible, eunae thinks again. seulgi has been drawing this character since they were in high school. the manhwa red rope was also published even before they met joohyun.
 
this could all be just a coincidence.
 
joohyun's happy with her soulmate. seulgi doesn't seem to like the woman as she keeps skipping the meetings whenever eunae asks her to join.
 
it is improbable that joohyun and seulgi would even be friends.
 
she hears seulgi's laughter echoing from the room.
 
eunae relaxes on the couch and looks up at the ceiling.
 
what the hell is she thinking? maybe she's only feeling this way because she's the one who cheated on seulgi before.
 
she massages her temples, still remembering the look on seulgi's face from before; how she was mad, how she cried, and how she willingly accepted eunae after everything.
 
eunae should trust her wife the way seulgi still trusts her even after what she had done before.
 
seulgi doesn't deserve any of this suspicion.
 
---
 
"what? you met your soulmate too recently?" eunae asks, surprised. "how did you guys do that?"
 
seungwan puts away the papers and places them inside a folder. "to be honest, i don't know. it just happened."
 
"like seriously? how come you and miss joohyun are finding your soulmates like they are just dropping out of nowhere?"
 
seungwan chuckles. "it's not as simple as that. i just met mine recently. joohyun met hers three years ago."
 
"still, it's something." eunae sips then shakes her now empty cup of frappuccino. "finding someone's soulmate is very rare these days."
 
"i agree," seungwan says. "how about you; aren't you curious about your soulmate?"
 
eunae eyes seungwan, then back to her empty cup, before finally deciding to put it down.
 
"i used to not care about it because it's always been seulgi for me. but i've to admit the idea pops in my head from time to time recently after hearing miss joohyun's story about her soulmate. i think it'll be imprinted on my mind now after hearing yours."
 
seungwan smiles as she sips from her cup.
 
"you know what..." eunae pauses, folding her arms against the table, "truth is, i consulted with a shaman last week in alaska during our overlay."
 
"oh. you did?" seungwan looks at her. "and then what happened?"
 
"it wasn't intentional." eunae props her chin on her palm. "my colleagues and i were touring around a village when we spotted a small shop with a poor 'shaman inside' signage. curious, we went in. an elderly man who claimed he's a shaman greeted us. he asked if we want a session and an activation. we didn't know what the hell that means, so he explained it first. then when we asked for the price, he said he's charging us $250 each."
 
"freaking $250 each?" seungwan's eyes grow wide. "that's too much!"
 
"that's what my friends thought." eunae chuckles. "we didn't push through with it the first time. but i came back alone the next day to find out."
 
"it got in your head, huh?" seungwan smirks. "and what did he say?"
 
"nothing concrete." eunae grimaces, thinking she wasted that amount of money for nothing. "he said i'll meet my soulmate in a room with white walls and an aqua blue couch."
 
"that's quite specific if you'd ask me."
 
"well, yeah. but the thing is, our apartment unit has white walls and an aqua blue couch. it's my favorite color. i picked it before when seulgi and i were shopping for a couch."
 
"oh. did you tell him that?"
 
eunae shakes her head. "that's the part that amazed me because he figured that out without me telling anything about myself. but still, none of it makes sense. he said i'll feel a pull on my ring finger if i focus on it. i tried it secretly with seulgi in the same room, it didn't work." she shakes her head again and sighs. "do you think i got scammed?"
 
"i don't know. it's hard to say." seungwan shrugs. "but if i were to give my two cents, i think it means seulgi isn't your soulmate. the shaman said you'll meet yours in that white room with the aqua blue couch. you didn't meet seulgi there. you met her before when you were teens."
 
eunae pouts and thinks. "well, you're right about that. so, she really isn't my soulmate, huh?" she taps her fingers on the table. "does that mean i'll meet my soulmate too soon?"
 
"that i can't say. but if that shaman is legit and he activated the thread for you, it is bound to happen."
 
eunae sighs, running her fingers through her hair. "now i'm not sure if i made the right move of consulting with him."
 
seungwan chuckles. "and why is that?"
 
"it's doesn't feel right. i mean, i have seulgi already. i shouldn't be looking for my soulmate."
 
seungwan hums. "i understand where you're coming from. but at least you got that out of you, you know. i'm sure the curiosity would keep hunting you if that didn't happen."
 
eunae sighs. "you're right. i agree with you. sooner or later, i'm sure i'll still consult with a shaman if i get another chance."
 
"i hope you won't feel too bad about it," seungwan says. "i seriously think it's the spirits who urged you to do that."
 
eunae finally relaxes at seungwan's words. "thank you for saying that. it's tough for me to accept this reality of soulmates, you know. i was a non-believer since birth."
 
"i totally feel you there." seungwan points a finger. "it feels like you're burning your own skin, right?"
 
"right." eunae chuckles. "but i'm curious, how does it feel to be with your soulmate?"
 
"i've never been happier," seungwan says. "i admit i was hurt before when joohyun admitted to me all about her soulmate. it didn't make sense at that time. but now that i look back, seeing things in a different light, i'm thankful it happened."
 
"is it better than any of the relationships you've had before?"
 
"far better! i've never thought being in a relationship can make someone feel so happy and blessed and contented. there's no words for it. and the ... mmm!" seungwan bites her lower lip.
 
eunae covers with a hand when she chuckles.
 
"i'm serious though." seungwan gives a sincere smile. "after meeting sooyoung, for the first time in my life, it feels like i'm whole again. there's no more room for doubts or anything. it's pure bliss, love, and contentment. it's like i finally found home after a long journey."
 
finally found home after a long journey.
 
eunae couldn't understand, but every word seungwan said hit her right in the heart.
 
it's not like eunae's not happy with seulgi. seulgi's been the greatest love she knew all her life.
 
but what if everything seungwan says about soulmates is true?
 
is it really possible to have a relationship where there are pure happiness and contentment?
 
a relationship with no doubt?
 
seulgi's face flashes on her mind.
 
eunae looks down at her ring finger, wondering if she really wants to meet the person at the other end of her thread.