something new

INEVITABLE
joohyun immediately flinches at the loud and sudden sound from the movie. she squeezes her eyes shut tight, the collective screams from the other spectators tell her the unpleasant scene isn't over yet.
 
it was one of those days when she and seulgi go out together for a catch-up. they both agreed to do it at least once a week--although this week it happened twice--to talk, share stuff, give updates and vent out whatever they want to get out of their system.
 
they see this routine as fulfilling their soulmate duties to each other--which always happens when eunae's out for an international flight.
 
as suspicious as it may sound, everything has been platonic between them so far. except maybe for some soulmate times in which seulgi usually uses to compliment joohyun as to how pretty she is.
 
but aside from that, it's all platonic, no touching, or even subtle flirts.
 
and since this is the second time they went out this week, they've thought of trying something different aside from talking and having dinner in a restaurant.
 
which is watching a horror movie.
 
and joohyun still doesn't know what made her agree to this.
 
she's never a fan of watching anything loud, or scary, or surprising. it beats the out of her.
 
but after seeing seulgi's hopeful eyes earlier when they were picking a movie, joohyun couldn't find the heart to say no.
 
besides, it may be worth trying since she's never done this before--watching a horror movie in a theater, of all places.
 
however, the scenes are too terrifying. she's not sure how she'll be able to sleep alone in her apartment tonight, or tomorrow, or the rest of the week.
 
maybe calling yerim to a sleepover would help. this usually entails bribing the younger with new clothes. joohyun doesn't care. as long as she gets to sleep peacefully this week, spending a few bucks on her sister won't matter.
 
another surprising scene takes place. joohyun's body jerks as people scream again. she covers her ears this time, hoping to muffle the noise.
 
"hey. you okay there?" seulgi's gentle voice passes through her ears.
 
a sight of her soulmate's worried face greets joohyun when she opens her eyes. but just as when she's about to relax, another bam sound made her jump on her seat, a light squeal escaping her lips.
 
"okay. let's get you out of here," she hears seulgi says before she feels a hand on her arm, pulling her up.
 
"s-seulgi..." joohyun follows along, getting pulled away from the seats.
 
"i won't let you die here from a heart attack, joohyun."
 
"but you want to see this movie, don't you?"
 
"i do. but if it's not entertaining for you, i'd rather not watch it," seulgi says, her back still facing joohyun as she leads the woman into the dark hallway.
 
"i..." joohyun forgets what she's about to say when her eyes land on how seulgi's hand is gripping her arm.
 
this is the first time they had physical contact after seeing each other again. the touch makes her feel somewhat... calm.
 
"you could have told me earlier you don't want scary movies," seulgi says. "i would understand."
 
"but i want to watch it with you," joohyun says without thinking.
 
which she immediately regrets because it causes seulgi to stop on her tracks, turning to face joohyun with a slightly surprised face.
 
and joohyun's heart drops when her soulmate finally lets go of her arm.
 
"i'm sorry." joohyun fiddles with her fingers, trying to compensate the lost warmth. "i don't really like anything loud or scary. i didn't tell you that because..." she pauses and sighs. "i guess i want to try something new with you, something i've never done before."
 
with the exit sign serving as their only source of light, joohyun sees seulgi's face softening. her heart softens too.
 
but a sudden loud noise from the movie startles joohyun again, making her jump up, gasping in horror.
 
she hears seulgi's soft chuckle before she feels arms enveloping her frame, pulling her in for a hug.
 
"hey, it's okay." seulgi rubs her back. "i'm here. i'm here."
 
and joohyun can't help herself from closing her eyes as her soulmate's warmth invades her senses.
 
"soulmate time," seulgi says. joohyun hums to tell her to continue. "you still look pretty even when you're hella scared."
 
joohyun chuckles as she nuzzles into seulgi's shoulder, loving the warmth it brings.
 
"soulmate time," she says in return, in which seulgi responds to with a hum as well. "your hug is warm and protective. i like it."
 
she feels seulgi takes in a deep breath and smiles. they silently stood there for seconds, with seulgi still rubbing her back.
 
"let's try new things together some other time, okay?" seulgi's hand finds it's way up to joohyun's head to ruffle her hair. "but for now, let's do something else fun so we can flush those scary thoughts out of your head."
 
joohyun pulls back and nods. they walk out of the cinema with seulgi's arm around her shoulders.
 
that was the first time joohyun asks herself: where could seulgi have been all her life?