getting bolder

INEVITABLE
it was a beautiful tuesday morning. seulgi is busy playing a video game on the couch when her wife approaches.
 
"boo, minjae's arriving shortly. i should go." eunae bends down to kiss her cheek.
 
"take care, boo. say hi to minjae for me."
 
eunae stands up straight, sighing. "at least spare me a glance before i leave? from what i remember, i am the one you married, not that game."
 
knowing that not listening would cause an issue, seulgi immediately paused the game to stand up and hug her wife.
 
"yes, you are the one i married." she kisses her wife's cheek. "come on. we don't want to keep minjae waiting for you."
 
"hmp. you just want me to leave so you can play more."
 
chuckling, seulgi throws an arm over her wife's shoulders and walks her to the door. "update me, okay?"
 
"i will. i won't be long." eunae opens the door. they kissed before she steps out.
 
"have fun!" seulgi waves as she watches her wife walk into the elevator.
 
the moment the elevator dings, seulgi quickly closes the door and hurries inside their apartment.
 
she dashes towards her phone to open a certain messaging app. she browsed through her contacts and calls baechu--the one with the cabbage as their profile picture.
 
the first ring sends seulgi's heart into frenzy mode.
 
trrrt... trrrt...
 
it feels like forever since they last talked.
 
trrrt... trrrt...
 
seulgi walks back and forth, a hand on her hips. the anticipation of hearing the person's voice on the other line increases her frustration.
 
trrrt... trrrt...
 
"come on..." seulgi bites her lower lip.
 
trrrt... trr--
 
"hello?"
 
seulgi stops on her tracks, unaware she's holding her breath.
 
everything falls silent. all she can hear is the beating of her heart and faint background murmur from the other line.
 
damn. she surely missed hearing that voice.
 
"seulgi?" the person speaks again, softer this time.
 
and seulgi feels like she's already in heaven.
 
but she should stop daydreaming now.
 
"joohyun," she finally says. "um. i hope i am not disturbing. you're at work, right?"
 
"no. no," joohyun immediately says. "i meant, yes, i am at work. but no, you're not disturbing me."
 
"oh. good." seulgi can hear joohyun moving, walking. she knows the woman is heading to the fire exit where she usually stays so they can talk peacefully.
 
"so, how are you? your wife told me you got chickenpox." there was a sound of an opening door on joohyun's side, followed by a latch. then the background noise is gone.
 
"yeah. so unlucky of me." seulgi drops on the couch to look at her arm. "the spots have stopped appearing now. the doctor says it may leave temporary marks, but they will be gone eventually."
 
"don't pick off the scabs so it won't get infected and won't leave scars."
 
"yes, unnie."
 
"yah! don't unnie me!"
 
they shared a hearty laugh. there's no words to describe how seulgi missed hearing it. there's this distinct trait in joohyun's laughter that seulgi has grown accustomed to.
 
hearing it now makes her feel oddly calm.
 
it has been hard for her these past few days; missing joohyun, wanting to know how she's doing, fighting the urge to call her. but with just this simple call, everything seems to fall in the right places again.
 
seulgi thinks she's falling harder.
 
"it's nice to hear your voice again," joohyun says. "but is it okay for you to call me?"
 
"eunae left to buy some groceries with her friend," seulgi says. "i'm sorry if i couldn't call these past few days. it's hard to get a hold of my phone when eunae's around."
 
"it's okay. i understand. and thanks for calling. it feels so long since we last talked."
 
"seven days to be exact."
 
"wow. aren't you counting?"
 
"oh. come on. don't pretend it's just me."
 
joohyun giggles. "soulmate time."
 
"hmm. what is it?"
 
"nothing biggie. i just want to say that i..." joohyun pauses, her voice reducing into a whisper, "i miss you."
 
seulgi presses her lips together, preventing a squeal from coming out. she's punching the mattress below.
 
"like i am seriously missing you..." joohyun continues, chuckling. "i miss your presence. i miss hearing your voice. i miss having chocotea with you. i just... i just simply miss being with you."
 
knowing she's not allowed to react, seulgi grins silently. this is the best thing she heard so far since she got chickenpox.
 
"but i know it's not possible since you need at least another week before you can go out." joohyun sighs. "that's all. i'm sorry if i ever sound clingy. i just need to let it out because i think your absence is deranging my rationality."
 
"please don't go crazy." seulgi chuckles. "just one more week to go. i promise i'll make it up to you."
 
joohyun giggles again, and seulgi knows this type that is usually accompanied by a blush on her soulmate's cheeks.
 
"you're not supposed to react, seul. remember?"
 
"ah. yeah." she scratches the back of her neck. "i'm sorry."
 
"but since you mentioned that, i'll give you a heads up that i may not be in town next weekend. one of our biggest clients is celebrating her sixtieth birthday, and they invited us to attend the party."
 
"us? with the entire office?"
 
"nope. it's with seungwan. we share clients in that clan. the entire family kind of know us both. they offered us a free trip and hotel. we couldn't say no."
 
"oh."
 
seungwan.
 
out of all joohyun's workmates, why does it have to be seungwan?
 
the idea of them going alone on that trip is setting seulgi's chest on fire.
 
dammit.
 
what if seungwan does something like...
 
seulgi groans.
 
"seulgi, are you okay?"
 
"ahh. yeah. that's sad. i was hoping i could see you next weekend because eunae will be going back to work by then."
 
"oh. is that so? well, they haven't confirmed it yet. their plans may still change. i suggest you message me as soon as you're able next week so i can fix my schedule. i can pretend to be sick if ever so i could meet up with you instead."
 
and with that, the world is suddenly full of bright colors again for seulgi.
 
"really? you'd do that? wow. i feel so important," she says.
 
"she's just my client. you are my soulmate. of course i would prioritize you over that party."
 
"awe. aren't you sweet? you know what, you deserve a reward. soulmate time!"
 
joohyun chuckles. "okay. and what is it?"
 
seulgi delays it for a moment, thinking of better ways to put it.
 
it's that thing that she's been contemplating to tell joohyun for days now.
 
that thing that she shouldn't be telling her soulmate.
 
but joohyun deserves to know, seulgi thinks. it's not wrong for someone to be honest with her feelings, right? especially towards her soulmate.
 
so, with a thumping heart and a soft smile, seulgi utter the words she'd never thought she'd say to someone else aside from her wife.
 
"you know what, i'm liking you more and more each day."