ex with benefits

INEVITABLE
"seungwan, i think it's about time we stop this."
 
seungwan turns to look at joohyun who's lying next to her on the bed, crumpled sheets hardly covering their bodies.
 
"what do you mean?" she asks.
 
"this. stop this thing we've been doing for two years now," joohyun says.
 
seungwan stares at the woman, mouth ajar. "are you seriously telling me that right after i drove you into a mind-blowing ?"
 
joohyun lets out a hearty laugh as she pulls the sheets to cover up her chest.
 
"stop telling me , okay?" seungwan leans backward, arms behind her head. "we both want this. no commitment. no drama. just regular ing."
 
"well, i am not kidding. i seriously think this time we should stop--like end this for real."
 
seungwan eyes the other woman, waiting for her to drop the joke bomb. but all she got was silence.
 
"is bae joohyun finally seeing someone now?" she asks. "that's the deal, right? we stop when one of us starts dating again."
 
joohyun sits up on the bed and folds her knees. "i am not seeing anyone."
 
"ah. so, there someone you like now, is that it?"
 
joohyun glances at her before looking away to rest her chin on her knees. "it's not like that."
 
that causes seungwan to raise an eyebrow. "hold on." she pushes herself up. "did you finally find her?"
 
the corner of joohyun's lips tugs upward. she nods.
 
"how?" seungwan asks. "you said you couldn't find her on social media."
 
"it was weird actually. it seems she was hoping to see me too all this time." joohyun's eyes point down as she makes circle patterns on the bed with her fingers. "she happens to be the artist yerim has been following for years now. they recently posted a story of a character who resembles me a lot. she even used the alias we've come up with when we first met to name that character."
 
"and this is?"
 
"irene." joohyun smiles. "so, i left a coded comment there hoping she would read it. she will get it if that's really her. hoping she is at least living nearby, i scheduled to meet her after a meeting with my newest client. the good thing is she showed up. the funny thing is, my new client is her wife."
 
with her jaw dropping, seungwan eyes almost pop out of their sockets. "holy ing spirits."
 
joohyun laughs. "just imagine my shock when i realized the situation i was in. i was just glad my client thought her wife came to pick her up."
 
"the spirits sure do play nasty games with you, huh?"
 
"i don't know what's up with them."
 
"so, what happened. did you two meet up after that?"
 
"yeah. just the other day. and we sort of decided to be friends since we know it'll be hard for us to stay away from each other."
 
"friends my . you totally have the hots for your soulmate."
 
"it's not like that!" joohyun slaps seungwan's arm. "we're soulmates, okay? we're supposed to be attracted to each other. but it doesn't mean i love her already."
 
"yeah. whatever. what's her name again?"
 
"seulgi."
 
seungwan didn't miss the smile forming on the other woman's lips. "you never had that look when we're together."
 
"what look?"
 
"that." seungwan gestures at joohyun's face. "it's hard to explain, but you look different. maybe that's a soulmate thing now that you've found her again." she looks away and exhales. "now i wonder when will i be able to find mine."
 
"how would you find her if you're not going out looking for dates?"
 
"well, i'm sorry. i was busy ing my ex for the past two years," seungwan snaps, and joohyun slaps her again. "what? i'm just telling the truth!"
 
"that's why i'm ending this now so you'll be forced to go around and hang out with other people."
 
still smiling, seungwan stretches her arms out with a groan before folding them to cover her eyes. "well, it was fun while it lasted."
 
she hears joohyun smile. "thank you for sticking around. i know i was a difficult girlfriend before."
 
"it's okay. it hurt when we broke up, but now that i think about it, we're better off as friends, aren't we?"
 
joohyun hums and bends her head to one side to look at seungwan. "what if there is a reason we met? you know, like a cosmic interference. maybe we're meant to meet because i will eventually lead you to your soulmate."
 
seungwan looks at joohyun. "that sounds a bit funny hearing it from a used-to-be non-believer."
 
"yeah. but you'll know what i mean when you experience it yourself."
 
seungwan turns to look at the ceiling. "if that day comes when you and your soulmate would , let me know if it feels much better, okay?"
 
"yah!" joohyun slaps her again.
 
"i have a feeling it'll be ten times better than average because of the cosmic interference--"
 
another slap. "yah! son seungwan!"
 
---
 
joohyun looks so happy lately.
 
not that seungwan is keeping tabs on her ex, but colleagues have noticed how joohyun's been glowing these past few days. and her natural 'stay away, ' aura is now replaced with cheerfulness.
 
she wouldn't claim she knows joohyun from head to foot, but her two years experience of dating the woman gives seungwan an idea that something's up.
 
and she's got facts to support her statement.
 
like joohyun going home on the dot, this never happened before. she always comes in the earliest and leaves the office last. she's been their highest achiever for years because of her competitive nature. the woman doesn't see work as work, but as a mere outlet for her burning desire to beat all the records.
 
next is, seungwan had known joohyun to be a luddite. she doesn't like texting or calling when they were together. seungwan accepts it even if she's super into communication.
 
but lately, she noticed how joohyun's continuously been on her phone, texting and smiling from time to time.
 
she knows it's none of her business to meddle with, but she's still worried knowing the situation between joohyun and her soulmate.
 
---
 
"she's picking you up?" seungwan approaches joohyun who's waiting at the building's front entrance.
 
she follows the woman down after overhearing joohyun's talk with a colleague who asked why she seems excited to leave the office early today.
 
joohyun's answer revolves around accompanying a friend to the mall, but seungwan's no fool to believe that.
 
joohyun looks at her, arms folded on her chest. "if you're planning to make a scene, it's going to be pointless. she and i are just friends."
 
"mmm. a friend who made you decide to stop fooling around with me, huh?"
 
"stop acting jealous."
 
"i'm not jealous. i am merely concerned for an old friend."
 
joohyun smirks and shakes her head. her face rearranges into a smile when a gray volkswagen suv stops in front of them.
 
seungwan stands, observing the person who went out of the driver's seat.
 
okay. she won't feel bad if this person is making joohyun happy. even seungwan herself will date this person if they meet in a different situation.
 
dressed in an oversized black tee and wide plaid pants, the person approached joohyun with a huge grin.
 
"hey. have you been here long?" the person opens the door to the passenger's seat.
 
"no. i just arrived," joohyun says.
 
seungwan's now certain these two aren't together yet as they are both looking shy around each other like two teenagers going on a date for the first time.
 
"by the way, this is my friend and colleague, seungwan." joohyun gestures to her. "and seungwan, this is seulgi."
 
"ahh. the seulgi. i've heard many things about you." seungwan shakes seulgi's hand, too eager in fact.
 
"oh, yeah?" seulgi glances at joohyun with a slightly confused face.
 
"she's mentioned your name a few times before," seungwan adds, and she can feel a glare on the side of her head, "especially in her sleep."
 
seulgi looks more confused now. joohyun is massaging her temples.
 
"so i would have to leave now. it was nice meeting you, seulgi." she pats the woman on the back. "enjoy, you two."
 
joohyun gives her one last death glare before stepping into the car.
 
seulgi pushes the car door close and went to the other side, giving seungwan a wave.
 
seungwan watches the car drive away, excited about how the story between joohyun and seulgi will unfold.