Part 6

The Babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bzzt! Bzzt! Bzzt!
 

Naeun slams a heavy hand on her alarm clock. She groans as she drags herself out of bed at the same time Hyewon does, the younger girl equally tired.

The rest of Naeun's weekend had been uneventful, aside from being scolded by the police for anxiously calling for information just about every hour. "We will call you when we know something, Miss Son. Please be patient with us." The woman said, thinly veiled irritation lining her voice.

"But--"

The woman hung up shortly after.

The only bright side of her weekend was Hayoung texting her back, as promised, which distracted her for a while until worries about tomorrow morning came bothered her, even after she'd finally tucked Hyewon in for bed and told her good night.

Before Naeun can protest, Hyewon takes the bathroom first, leaving Naeun to either wait or take Chorong's. She easily decides that it wouldn't hurt if Chorong was only a few minutes behind schedule. Fortunately, Hyewon is fully ready to go by the time Naeun begins finishing, relieving some of her previous stresses. Although, she can't help but notice the the younger girl also moved as if following a set routine. It's strange to her, considering Hyewon is only 6 years old and still needed help pulling her socks all the way up. How many times has she had to get herself ready for school? Naeun wonders. Did they even care enough to take her? She frowns as the thought manifests itself and quickly pushes it aside. The last thing she wanted to do was accuse her parents of child neglect, especially when the increasing possibilty of their deaths was always in the back of her mind.

"All done!" Hyewon says, holding up her now empty glass of orange juice. Naeun smiles as she takes it, along with her own half-eaten plate, to the kitchen. She suddenly didn't feel like eating much, anyway. She glances at the clock to find that they have 30 minutes to spare. Naeun feels a jolt of anxiety rush through her; she had never taken Hyewon to school and didn't know how far it'd be.

Quickly, she ushers Hyewon out the door and into her and Chorong's car. She rarely drives it, preferring to walk as the chances of getting in a car crash were drastically lower, but decides it would be the best option if she wanted Hyewon to be on time. Hyewon happily buckles herself in, blissfully unaware of the waves of nervous energy pouring from Naeun in the front seat. Naeun takes a deep breath as she starts the engine. She relaxes a bit as Hyewon begins humming a nursery rhyme behind her, reminding her that getting her little sister to school on time came first and foremost. Her newfound determination distracts her long enough to get herself out of the parking lot and through the gates.

 

 

She finds that Hyewon's school is only 25 minutes away, granted that she drove like an elderly woman with 20/100 vision. Had she driven normally, the distance was much, m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter