Part 4

The Babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Naeun and Hyewon make it back, still soaking wet.

Chorong, now awake, quickly ushers Hyewon into a shower, while Naeun tiredly shuffles to her room. Hayoung was a muchneeded distraction, but the old questions and worry surrounding her parents quickly drown her once she's alone. She finds that her thoughts are composed of two simple questions: Where and Why? It's a neverending loop of trying to piece together the bigger picture without a single puzzle piece.

Feeling the beginnings of a headache, Naeun goes to take a warm shower as a distraction. It works for a while, until she returns to the living room and remembers she still has to deal with Chorong's barrage of questions.

"And your parents are just gone gone, no note or anything?" Chorong gasps. Naeun nods solemnly. "The police said they'll do what they can, but I don't know, Rong. Everything seems fishy, where would my parents go in such a rush? And why would they dump Hyewon on me out of the blue? Between school and work, where will I even have time?" Naeun puts her hands in her head and groans. "Not to mention that I don't make nearly enough money to just hire a nanny."

Chorong tries to think of a sympathetic reply, but falters. She's an only child who lives a comfortable life; she has no idea what Naeun is going through.

As her best friend continues laying out her problems, Chorong remembers an ad she'd passed on the way to their apartment the day before. "Would a babysitter work?" Chorong interrupts. "Are you even listening to me? A babysitter is basically a nanny, and I can afford neither." Naeun scoffs in annoyance. "No, I saw this babysitting ad yesterday that I didn't think much of at the time, but I remember being shocked because she doesn't charge much despite having so much experience." Chorong explains. "I think you should try it."

"I don't know, what if..." Before Naeun can finish her sentence, Hyewon clumsily falls off the couch. There's a beat of silence, followed by loud wailing. For a kid so cute, she sure can be really noisy. Chorong notes. Naeun moves to soothe Hyewon, frustration highlighting her every step.

"What's this babysitter's name?"

"Oh Hayoung."

Naeun freezes with Hyewon sniffling in her arms. Of all the potential babysitters in the world... She'd only just met Hayoung, and now it seemed like they were fated to meet. Part of her is curious, while the other part is wary. She'd only had one conversation with the woman, and it hadn't gone smoothly. What if she ends up doing something worse?

"What's wrong? Is there something wrong with her?" Chorong asks, noticing Naeun tense up. "No, she's.. fine.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter