Part 12

The Babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"And do you remember what happened next?" Jooyhun asked gently.

Naeun watched carefully as Hyewon easily explained what she'd told Naeun countless times: her parents woke her up in the middle of the night and dropped her off at Naeun's apartment. Joohyun takes notes diligently, stopping every now and then to encourage Hyewon to continue. By the end of the story, it seemed that she was satisified, until Hyewon does something Naeun didn't anticipate.

"Have your parents been in contact with you or your sister since they left?" Joohyun asks.

Hyewon hesitates before saying, "Hmm, I think I saw them outside my school once."

Joohyun and Naeun both whip their heads to face the young girl. "Hyewon, you saw them?" Naeun asks, her voice edging on an accusatory tone. "I said I think I saw them." Hyewon defends. "I was at the playground and I saw a man and a lady. They looked just like Mom and Dad, but they were wearing weird clothing so I wanted to ask why they were dressed like that, but I guess they didn't want anyone looking at their weird clothes so they ran away."

Hyewon shrugs as she finishes, completely oblivious to the bombshell revelation she'd just dropped. Joohyun immediately scribbles down a few notes and starts a new line of questioning.

"So, to make sure, you think that they may have been your parents but you're not sure?"

"Yup!"

"But they looked like them?"

"Mhm!"

"And the weird clothing was..?"

"Well, they were both wearing sunglasses and hats. The lady had a fur coat on and the man had on a suit.." She turns to Naeun and gasps. "Like Dad's Christmas suit!" She says as her eyes light up.

Naeun's eyes, on the other hand, widen in both shock and fear. If what Hyewon said is true, that her parents were still within the city and hiding, then it could spell a lot of trouble for them. As angry as she was with them, the thought of all the legal trouble they would be in made her head spin.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter