Part 1

The Babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Naeun shivers as a cold wind blows past. Seoul was on the brink of winter, a season she both loves and hates. The snow is beautiful, yes, but the cold is unbearable. It's this unbearable cold that makes her boss even worse than usual, which, in turn, makes her long hours of work almost impossible to get through.

Another cold wind blows by and she speeds up her pace, needing to get home before the night darkens any further. She doesn't want Chorong to worry, and her landlord will raise hell if she arrives past curfew.

She makes it in the nick of time, earning a small glare as she speeds past the closing gate. "Don't be late again!" Her landlord calls after her. "Sorry, Joohyun!" Naeun calls back. It's the same routine she goes through everyday, yet Joohyun's warnings never get old. In fact, sometimes it seems like Joohyun enjoys scolding her night after night.

Naeun enters her apartment to find Eunji and Chorong sprawled on the couch watching a game show. "Hey!" Chorong smiles brightly at her. Naeun gives her a tired smile and puts away her coat. "Long day?" Eunji asks. "All my days are long." Naeun replies as she heads to her room. She drops onto her bed and lets exhaustion wash over her.

Most nights are like this: where she's too tired to even eat. Instead of that, she'll simply go to bed and let her alarm wake her in the morning. It was rare that anything deviated her from this routine.

The only thing that did was the occasional nightmares which would wake her in the middle of the night. On these nights, she'd move to her living room and sleep under their uncovered window, letting the moonlight lull her back to sleep. She didn't know exactly why, but the moon had always brought her comfort. She figured it reminded her of home.

Tonight ends up being one of those harder nights.

She makes herself comfortable on the co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter