Time to Pull Over

Meet and Greet

Jennie is face to face with Rosé Park. The tinted window of her Mercedes SUV is rolled down and she’s giving her that undeniable grin.

 

It was almost as if… no… she… she didn’t do this on purpose right?

 

How could she? Jennie didn’t tell her what her job was.

 

Nah, this must be one big incredible coincidence.

 

“You said my name like five seconds ago. Are you really going to pretend you don’t know me?” The blonde asked after Jennie had asked her for her full name.

 

‘My life is a ing comedy show.’ Jennie thought, the grip on her pen getting tighter. There was nothing normal about running into the woman who she climbed a fence to get away from. Being around her made her feel… uneasy as if the vocalist made her take risks she neve wanted to take before.

 

How is she supposed to do her job when Rosé was looking at her with that stupidly hot smile? How did she just happen to pull over the one night stand she thinks she might regret?

 

Jennie stands in silence only looking at her.

 

“I’m going to take your lack of response as a yes’.”

 

Jennie clears . “Miss. Park, I believe we all know who you are.”

 

There that was technically true, plus she didn’t want her partner to know who she slept with right now or ever.

 

“However, your social status doesn’t exempt you from the law. You nearly collided with two vehicles.” Jennie explains, and just then she can hear Wendy let out a loud cough behind her.

 

“What’s up, dude?” Rosé greeted the offices with a nod. “Is she always like this?”

 

“You two old friends?” Wendy asked, surprised.

 

Jennie doesn’t answer but instead clears once again and continues according to procedure. “License and registration please.”

 

“Sure thing, officer.”

Jennie takes the offered paperwork and says. “Don’t go anywhere.”

 

“Don’t worry.” Rosé smiled. “I’ll be right here, Jennie. I don’t run away.”

 

Jennie bristles at her words as she walks away. Stupid, hot, adorable ing rock star.

 

The brunette works quietly reviewing Rosé’s paperwork from her vehicle. She notices Rosé’s full name, Roseanne, and thinks it suits her. Another thing she notices is the silence and the stare she’s getting from Wendy.

 

“Wen… just say it.” She says without looking up.

 

But Wendy knew better, Jennie and her wife had a lot in common when it came to their temper. “I’m not saying a word.”

 

“Good.”

 

The officer puts her hands up in surrounder. “Clearly, you two know each other, and it ain’t from growing up here.” She shrugs. “You tell me everything, so there’s no way you wouldn’t have told me you know this girl.” She then coughs and looks to the side through the window of her seat. “I’m not saying a word about who you may or may not have slept with recently.”

 

“I…”

 

“Even though it’s pretty obvious.”

 

“You should learn to mind your own business.”

 

“It’s not like you’ve had a year and five months of drought since your broken engagement… or that you slept with a celebrity or anything...I have nothing to say about these life choices.” She says zipping her lips. “Not a thing.”

 

Jennie rolls her eyes. “Okay fine.” She relents. “I slept with Rosé Park, it was wild and dumb.” She admits. “I also had about six beers, which is two over my threshold… oh and a whiskey.”

 

Wendy smirks, did she mention Jennie and her wife have a lot in common? Oh yeah this hamster knew how to make them talk.

 

“Hey, I’m not judging.” Wendy says. “My cousin slept with some singer once too.”

 

“Good for your cousin.”

 

With that Jennie steps out of the car and storms back over to Rosé while Wendy waits in the vehicle. She can only pray this will be painless.

 

Rosé looks up at her with puppy dog eyes.

 

Jennie sighs. “I’m not going to give you a ticket this time.”

 

“Because that would be awkward since I’ve seen you ?”

 

‘ing smartass’

 

“Just slow down next time.” Jennie says instead.

 

Rosé winks with a grin. “Baby, we can take it as slow as you want.”

 

‘Jesus… in...urghhh.’

 

“Just… speed limit. Don’t go above it.”

 

“But I thought you liked it when I moved quickly”

 

Jennie smiles a fakely polite smile. “Have a good day, Miss. Park.”

 

“You can call me Chaeyoung.” Rosé says, taking Jennie’s hand as the brunette hands the papers back. “I figure since we’ve...you know… had and all, you should at least call me Chaeyoung… or Rosie if you’d like.”

 

Jennie knows she should stay away but she can’t help but hold on to that tiny bit of closeness between them. “Fine, Chaeyoung. Please drive safely.”

 

Rosé’s lips curve into a little smile. “Wait. We should talk about what happened the other night.”

 

“That’s not necessary.” Because why rehash the past right?

 

“Dinner.” The blonde said not taking no for an answer.

 

“What?”

 

“Have dinner with me.” Rosé clarifies.

 

Well dinner with Chae sounded good in theory, Jennie thinks. “I....”

 

“Tonight?”

 

Wow, so eager. Jennie… likes it. Like the woman was wasting no time! Yes she liked it, loved it. Who wouldn’t love being chased like this by their crush.

 

Pump the brakes, Jen… “I appreciate the offer, but I can’t tonight. Maybe another time?” The brunette pulls her hand away from the blonde’s hold already missing her warmth.

 

“What do you have planned?” The blonde asked curiously, her head tilting to the side like a puppy.

 

“Umm… well nothing, but this has been an extraordinarily long day, and ‘nothing’ really sounds good right now.” She says honestly. “Make sure you don’t run anyone off the road, okay?”

 

“For you, Jennie Kim, I’ll drive with both hands on the wheel and follow the speed limit.”

 

Jennie smiles. “Oh, you’ll actually obey the law?”

 

“Mhmm… I have a feeling you and I will be seeing each other again soon.”

 

Jennie can’t help but laugh a little, no longer feeling as defensive as she did before. Rosé seemed to be really good at disarming her. “Okay, Chae, we’ll see.”

 

“You and your partner be safe on the job.’ Rosé smirked. “I hate seeing fellow officers in the line of fire.”

 

And the smartass is back.

 

“You are not a cop, you just play one on T.V.”

 

“I have a badge.”

 

“It’s fake.”

 

Rosé reaches across the seat and puts her ‘badge’ on her lap.

 

“Does that look fake to you?”

 

“That looks like a toy plus need I remind you impersonating an officer is against the law.”

 

Rosé's smirk got wider. “Ooh are you going to arrest me? ...”

 

Jennie scuffs. “You are not worth the paperwork.”

 

The blonde chuckles. “I’ll see you soon, Jennie.”

 

--------------------------------

 

Jennie has to admit she took her time getting back to her car. She was flustered and needed some time to get it back together. When she does get back into her vehicle though, Wendy was standing with a huge grin on her face.

 

“I swear you better keep this to yourself. If you tell anyone…” Jennie threatens with the scariest face she got. “I’ll make your life a living nightmare.”

 

Wendy puts her hands up in surrounder. “I won’t say a word, but I can’t believe Jennie Kim had a touch and go with one of the most famous woman in girl band history…” She shook her head with a sigh. “You’re too cool for me. I don’t think we can be friends anymore.”

 

“Oh, cut it out.”

 

But Wendy continued to joke around. “I’m sure you and the band will be happy without me.”

 

“You know, I have blackmail on you too.”

 

“Oh yeah? Do tell me more….”

 

“The time that Kai bought a box of donuts for everyone and they went missing…”

 

“Yeah… what about it?”

 

“It was you that ate them. I found the box wedged under your seat the same day.”

 

“That wasn’t me!”

 

“There was evidence Wendy!”

 

“That was Seulgi! I was framed!”

 

“There was powdered sugar all over the floor around your desk!”

 

“Again that was Seulgi! I’m innocent until proven otherwise!”

 

Both girls break into laughter after that, this is what Jennie liked about Wendy, she had a way to make things lighter and simply make her have a good time which was a good thing when working on a stressful job such as this one.

 

“Let’s go, shift’s over..” Wendy said after a few seconds.


 

----------------------------------------

 

Jisoo picked up Jennie soon after she got home, took a quick shower and changed she got ready and both girl went to the hospital to see her sister.

 

The drive to the hospital was silent even as they walked through the halls of the hospital and towards Ella’s room the mood was quiet. It always got this way when it came to Ella. But she appreciates having people in her life who don’t pressure her to talk if she really doesn’t want too, they don’t mind being in silence with her they just let her be and were there for support.

 

As soon as they walk into the room, Jennie can feel herself breathing easier. She can tell her sister was doing better, her hands steady and the mood felt a lot lighter.

 

“Chichu!”

 

Jennie swears her sister has had the longest crush of Jisoo since she met her, she has no proof but has no doubts either.

 

“El, you’re looking hot!”

 

Ella blushes slightly. “How’s work?”

 

Jisoo fills her in on their day while Jennie sits by her side. Her sister only having eyes for the other brunette in the room. And Jennie gets it, when Jisoo is around, she’s all Ella sees. She’s the only person in her life that doesn’t treat her like she’s dying.

 

“Hey, El, what do you think abou…”

 

“But the best part was when your sister pulled over a famous actor!” Jisoo speaks over Jennie so loudly she’s barely heard.

 

“Dude!”

 

Right, Chaeyoung…

 

“The one and only….” Jisoo pauses, drum rolling on her thighs for dramatic effect. “Rosé Park!”

 

“Holy !” Ella sits up as straight as she could, agape. “Rosé! you’ve been in love with her since you were like, five.”

 

“Fifteen, thank you very much.” Jennie corrects.

 

“Did Jennie tell you they know each other?” Jisoo continues.

 

“Dead. You’re dead.” Jennie says seriously.

 

“You were here just after the concert and you didn’t say anything.” Her voice changes from happy to upset. Is in that moment where Ella’s good mood shifts quickly into a bad one.

“Why the hell didn’t you tell me you met Rosé Park?”

 

Jennie feels somewhat guilty, it’s not that she doesn’t want to share her life with her sister, but she feels as though Ella will feel sad or upset that she’s out there living a life while she’s here in the hospital, she also doesn’t necessarily want Ella to know of her touch and go with a rockstar, doesn't want Ella to see her as anything less.

 

Yet, Jennie feels excited to have something fun to share with her. She never has anything juicy to tell her. So she figures maybe this is their chance to bond a little more, not as caretaker and patient but as sisters.

 

“Yes, I met Rosé Park. And yes she’s just as dreamy in person.”

 

“What is it in the concert?” Ella asked, eager to know more.

 

The older brunette nodded. “Yep, she pulled me on stage and everything.”

 

“Holy . Did you piss your pants?”

 

“Basically.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” And there was the mood changing once more.

 

Jennie exhales. “I didn’t want to take any focus away from you.”

 

“You don’t always need to protect me.” Ella tells her. “I’m seventeen years old. You don’t need to wear the kid gloves with me. I don’t know how much time I have left, and I would like to have an actual relationship with you.” Bringing to light the harsh truth, the elephant that always seemed to be in the room.

 

Jennie can’t says nothing as the reality of the situation hits her hard on the chest, tears filling her vision. It just wasn’t fair.

 

She feels someone touching her arm and pulling her towards the hallway.

 

“We’ll go for some coffee. We’ll be back in a sec, squirt.”

 

Jisoo then pulls her into the hallway just as the tears start to fall, she then brings her in for a hug.

 

“It’s so hard.” Jennie says, voice cracking.

 

“I know, Jen, I know.” Jisoo tells her softly. “But… do you think that Ella might be a little right?” She asked carefully.

 

“What do you mean?” Jennie sniffles, wiping away the tears.

 

“You’ve had to make yourself into a caregiver from one day to another, and you’ve done a great job with it.” Jisoo starts. “But right now Ella doesn’t need someone to take care of her. She needs someone to talk to her like she’s a human being.”

 

Jennie sniffles and takes a deep breath. “I just feel so… trapped, lost… I don’t know how to react when Ella talks about dyingt. I can’t even let myself imagine it and yet she seems to have come to terms with it already.” She looks down, playing with the hem of her shirt. “I don't know what I’ll do once she’s gone. She’s my everything.”

 

“So show her that.” Jisoo tells her softly. “Show her that you want her to be a part of your life.” She softly wiped Jennie’s tears away with her thumb. “All Ella wants is to be let in.” She then smiled softly. “Now, I’m going to get us that coffee. You go talk to your sister, okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Jennie stands outside the door gathering her courage and getting a hold of herself. She wiped the remaining tears away, fixed up herself a bit in the reflection of her phone screen, took a deep breath and opened the door.

 

When she walks in she see’s her sister on her side and so she goes and takes her place beside her and takes her hand. Ella however takes her hand away before turning around to face her.

 

“I ruin everything.” She lamented. Feeling genuinely remorseful for the way she talked to Jennie, she didn’t mean to hurt her. She needed to understand that just because she was more accepting of her own death didn’t mean everybody else was as well. Her mother told her that.

 

“Hey, now why do you say that?” Jennie asked softly.

 

Ella sniffled. “Because I do! I know I’m the reason Kai left.”

 

“El…”

 

“No, it 's true!” Her sister said again. “I’m the reason your engagement ended. I’m the reason why you haven’t made detective yet, I’m the reason you barely go out anymore.” Her sister sobbed. “I’m sorry that my illness brought you pain. You don’t need that.”

 

“I..”

 

“I’m not done.” Ella said, putting her hand up to keep Jennie from talking. “You do everything for me, you always put me first and I love you so much. But it doesn’t mean you can’t live. Jesus ing christ Jennie!” Ella snapped. “Live your life because I can’t!”

 

Jennie swallowed the lump in and managed to say a few words. “You’re living now, El.”

 

“This isn’t living. This is waiting to die.”

 

The older brunette can’t take it anymore, so she pulls her sister close and lays her head against her chest, holding her close as she cries.

 

“Shh… I love you so much Elle.” She whispered against her hair. “You are my whole world.”

 

The sisters remain that way for a while, Elle letting all her frustrations out and Jennie being her rock as she always will be. After her mother’s, her older sister’s have the best of hugs, Jennie deserved the best of this world, she deserved to be happy, and she deserved to have someone who took care of her as much as Jennie took her of Ella, someone who would always put her first.

 

After a while Ella calmed down and leaned back on the hospital bed.

 

“You okay?” Jennie asked softly, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her sister's ear.

 

“No.” Ella answered with a little shrug “But I feel a little better.”

 

“Good.” Jennie said, smiling. “We need to get better for when mom comes to visit next week. You know you don’t have to hide your hurt from me. I’m always here for you.”

 

“I know, but I miss my sister.” Ella said. “I want to know when you do dumb things. And I sure as hell want to know when you meet someone famous.” She then said, shoving her sister playfully.

 

Jennie smirked and wiggled her eyebrows. “Well... we did more than just meet.”

 

“No!” Ella gasped.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Holy balls.”

 

“Mhmm, my feelings exactly.”

 

“So? How was it?”

 

Jennie smiled, both at the memory of the night and the bonding moment she was finally sharing with Ella, this felt like old times. “Pretty incredible. The woman is a god. She rocked my world six ways from sunday.”

 

“Oh. My. God.” Her sister said in amazement. “You slept with Rosé Park!” She squealed. “Can you imagine what fifteen year old you would be thinking right now?”

 

“Nothing clean I can bet.” She said nodding. “Fifteen year old me already had her awkwakeing thanks to her.”

 

“Eww…’

 

“Well you asked.” Jennie said chuckling.

 

“Hot Damn. Do you think you will ever see her again?” Ella questioned, opening up her jello cup.

 

“Well I did pull her over today.” Jennie joked. “But other than that? Doubtful.” She said, straightening the wrinkles on the bed sheet. “Our lives don’t really mesh.”

 

“So it was more than just ?” Ella asked, observing the contemplative look her sister had after her last question. “Do you actually like her?”

 

“Well, I like her.” Jennie admitted. “Outside of the whole famous thing I mean. Or at least I think I do. I barely know the woman.”

 

“Yeah, but did you have a connection?” Her sister asked with full of jello. “You can feel when you’re compatible with someone right away. At least that’s what mom says. You can feel it in your bones apparently.”

 

Jennie thinks it over and bites her lip. Thinking about the electric shock she felt when they touched. The way she could feel goosebumps just at the mere touch of fingers. The way her eyes took her in as if she couldn’t get enough of her. The way she just knew her body, knew where to touch, how to touch… they way she gave her a sweet forehead kiss when it was done… the way she couldn’t stop thinking about her.

 

“Yes.” Jennie finally admits. “We had a connection.”

 

Elle’s jaw drops. “Please tell me you are gonna pursue this further!”

 

“I’m not sure…”

 

“Jennie, you’ll never find happiness if you don’t take chances.”

 

“What if I get hurt? What if…”

 

“What if it’s worth the risk?”