Can't Seem To Clear My Mind

Meet and Greet

A/N: Can you believe people over at twitter are already fighting about line distribution before the album even comes out. I decided that day I'm just going to do my own business (as I usually do) and stream. It's too tiring and annoying to see the mess that the fandom is, why is it so hard to enjoy the music and the girls?

Anyways sorry for the rant.

Here's a new chapter, though is very much a  filler one just to show a bit of Jennie's life. More Chaeyoung to be shown on the next chapter though.

--------------------------

Jennie’s hand is swat away from the hospital bed from the nth time tonight by her annoyed sister.

 

“I’m fine.” Ella says.

 

Ella Kim was diagnosed with Huntington’s Disease a couple of years ago. At first Jennie thought it might be that the girl was having trouble adjusting to her new life in a new country, she had a low mood, she was irritable, Ella never had an kind of emotional issue so Jennie and her parents assumed it was the sudden change that could’ve trigger something but then came the stumbling and the clumsiness and that’s when it got worrying. After a trip to the doctor and several neurological exams and visits it was determined the cause of everything.

 

The brunette wishes this was a normal hospital visit, but it wasn’t. Once Jennie calmed down she checked her phone for the first time in a while and was met with a voicemail from Ella’s caretaker telling her she had been transferred to the hospital via ambulance, that only made Jennie feel worse, while her sister was suffering she was outthere having casual with someone. This is why she doesn’t do casual, why she doesn’t go out much, why she's single, she has a responsibility to her sister, that doesn’t leave much space for anything else.

 

So now here she is having spent the last few hours at her sister's bedside while she’s had countless tests done.

 

“If you’d just stop messing with me.” Ella said annoyed.

 

“I just want you to be comfortable, El.” Jennie said, heart still pounding after hearing the voicemail. This was Ella’s worst seizure yet.

 

“I know.” Ella said, while pulling down the blanket Jennie has previously tucked her in. “But I’m hot right now, besides I’m okay, you heard the doctor, no damage done.”

 

Jennie looked down. She shouldn’t have gone to the concert, She should’ve stayed here with Ella.

 

“Jen, seriously. I’m fine.”

 

“I…”

 

“Am I going back to Happy Volts?” She then asked.

 

Happy Volts, was the assisted living house Ella stayed at for sometime, it was certainly not a home but it was better and much more comfortable than a hospital bed.

 

“Depends on what the doctor says.”

 

Ella rolled her eyes. “Of course there you go again making decisions for me. I’m a ing grown up, I have the right to choose.”

 

Jennie takes a deep breath, if there is one thing that took a toll on her about this whole thing was the mood swings. She understood her sister had no control of them but it didn’t make them any less tiring and they didn’t make her any less upset.

 

“Yes, you are. But you are also a minor, you are sick and I’m your guardian. So deal with it,”

 

“I hate you.”

 

“Well, I’m the only one you’ve got so it for you.”

 

Her sister huffs and turns to her other side, giving her back to Jennie. The brunette looks up trying to keep the tears at bay and calm down. When she looks back at the bed she notices Ella was trembling, they had taken her off the medication a few moments ago so now the tremors were coming back.

 

“El…” Jennie calls out softly her hand on her sister’s shoulder.

 

“I c...ca...can’t. I h..hat..t..e th..this.”

 

Jennie feels the tears come back but once again she tries to keep them at bay, she then lays behind her sister and holds her close. “I know, buddy. I hate it too.” She says, honestly. “But right now, we are just dancing. That's all.” She tells her, trying to cheer her up.

 

When the tremors on her hand and feet first started that’s what they used to call it, dance breaks.

 

Ask me, I’ll say

That we should run away

what if we were lovers...

 

Ella musters a smile at her off-key Beyond Roses impression. “You at signing.”

 

“ for you.”

 

--------------------------------

 

Later that morning Jennie heads home for a quick shower before heading to work. Afterwards she heads to one of LA’s finest police stations, her eyes nearly glued shut from exhaustion as she finishes roll call.

 

“Is Ella any better?’

 

Jennie turns around to see her boss and ex standing behind her. It was way too early to deal with this .

 

“She should be back…” at home? No, Happy Volts was not a home, it was an assisting living house that was it. “Back at Happy Volts soon.” Yeah it wasn’t a home, it was a ing group home and Jennie hated the idea of Ella having to stay there. But she had no other choice. Not when her health kept deteriorating.

 

“I know this is hard for you. I hate seeing you like this.”

 

Maybe it was that she was tired, or the frustration of feeling so helpless and Jennie would normally let it go but not this time, this time she opens . “I really don’t believe you do. This wouldn’t be as hard if I had husband’s support.”

 

“Jennie. I wasn’t like that.” Kai tells her, clearly taken aback by her response.

 

Jennie rolls her eyes and huffs. “It was exactly like that, we were engaged and you left because I wasn’t willing to put my sister in that home. Need I remind you, Kai, you said I should quit to take care of her and yet you run the moment the plan sets into motion. You made it so I had no other choice in the end. We were supposed to be a team, but you…”

 

“You didn’t give me any choice!” Kai snaps, interrupting Jennie. “I was watching my fiance drift away. I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t make you happy.” He said, and took a breath to calm himself down. “You act like I’m the villain here, but I had to sit around watching you lose yourself.”

 

“I wasn’t about you or me, it was about her.” Jennie replies back, not backing down.

 

Kai breathes in deeply again and responds. “Take a minute and think about who left who, Jennie.”

 

“Believe what you want, Kai.”

 

“I had no other choice.” He answers, tightening his jaw.

 

“Yeah right, and now I have to come to work to see your cowardly face every day.” Oh yes, Jennie was pissed, frustrated and on a roll. Not a good mood to be in when talking to your boss.

 

“Why don’t you go cool off before I fire you.” Kai orders, clearly done with the conversation.

 

Jennie huffs and storms off, heading to the kitchen for a much needed cup of coffee. It’s a shift change, so the station kitchen was buzzing with officers. Not exactly a great place to collect herself but she needed the caffeine if she wanted to survive this day.

 

“You ready to hit the road?”

She looks up to see her partner Wendy. They had been partners for the past five years now and thank god for her. She was funny, smart and trust worthy. There is no one else she trusts to have her back whilst in the job than her.

 

“Yep, just need to fuel up.”

 

“Do you need me to sing to you?” Heard that does it for you.” Wendy says, teasing her. “Or do I have to be rich and famous?”

 

Jennie freezes with her cup halfway to her lips, and squeezes her eyes closed. With everything that happened with Ella, she had completely forgotten about the concert, and what happened afterwards. It all came back and hit her like a freight train. The singing, the dancing, the flirting… how could she forget that there were probably videos and… just then she looks to the bulletin board and sighs.

 

Right there in all her glory was a photo of her sitting on stage with the vocalist serenading her. Other than the clear fact that this was a set up to , she also can’t help but feel sad at looking at the picture flashes of last night and of Rosie’s eyes as she left appearing on her mind.

 

Behind her two of her workmates were laughing and snickering. Upset and shaking her head more at the crazy notion of what could’ve been than and the picture itself, she rips off the wall and rips it, throwing it in the trash angrily.

 

“What if we were loveeeeers?” One of them tease.

 

“ off.”

 

“We all know what you like, Kim.” Do said with a grin. “Maybe we should just pretend to be cops on TV, then you’ll think we’re y.” He says, referring to Rosé’s TV role on a popular drama called 911, where she played a cop.

 

And if Jennie thought Rosé was hot before, seeing her in a cop’s uniform was just too much for her poor soul to handle. Now though the mere thought of the vocalist made Jennie feel sad and confused. It was hard to tell this quickly but she can’t help but feel like there could have been something there with Rosé.

 

She shakes her head again. Even if there was, she can never pursue it. The girl was a famous singer, that made things complicated plus there was a heart stopping voicemail in her phone from last time that further proved her point. Her life was about her job and Ella. There were no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

 

Did it feel good to let loose for a night? Yes, it did. But that was all it was. Just one night.

 

D.O. takes his partner hand and mockingly serenades him. “If I could leave it all behind…”

 

Jennie rolled her eyes, she was tired, stressed and confused, she was in no mood to deal with this bull.

 

“Let’s just go, Son.” She tells Wendy, transferring her coffee to a to go cup and leaving the room.

 

-------------------------------

 

Jennie gets into the driver’s seat of her patrol car while Wendy silently gets on the passenger seat.

 

“Hey, you okay?” Wendy asked softly.

 

Jennie’s mind was going back and forth between Ella and Rosé, either one or the other, between that and the tiredness she felt she could not think clearly.

 

The brunette sighs. “Ella had another episode.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Wendy said honestly. “I figured you were cranky from your night of singing and drinking. Is she any better?” She asked with genuine concern.

 

“She 's okay now.” Jennie nods. “Well, as okay as it gets for her.”

 

The Son’s and Jisoo were the one to help her move Ella into Happy Volts last year. Beside Jisoo the pair had also been through it with her.

 

“You should’ve called me. Hyun and I would've come to the hospital.”

 

“It’s okay… it was late, plus Jisoo was there.”

 

“You had it all under control huh?” Wendy said, not really asking, as she knew that was what Jennie always said, it’s all under control. It was her go to for stressful situations, even when her friends knew she in fact had nothing under control.

 

“So how’s Joohyun?” Jennie asked, changing the subject. And it goes from there Wendy goes on and on about this healthy lifestyle Hyun has adopted, going to pilates and although it has done wonders for her body and confidence, certainly something Wendy will never complain about, it also saddens her that she has no one to share her bake goods with.

 

“Well, maybe when you finally have kids you’ll get to make it for them… if Hyun let’s you feed them those of course.” Jennie said as they drove down the street on patrol.

 

Wendy sighs and looks at the window. “I don’t think we’ll have kids.” She said sadly.

 

“Wen…” Jennie said softly, looking at her briefly. “You need to let go of the past.”

A year ago or so, Wendy was in a horrific wreck during a pursuit, they were driving fast when a driver plowed through a red light and T-boned her cruiser. It was a miracle she survived, and understandably her wife was scared, unfortunately she had a miscarriage due to the stress. Wendy never forgave herself, she never recovered from that no matter what anybody told her.

 

“Says the girl who refuses to date because she dated an idiot.” Wendy says turning the tables back on Jennie. “When was the last time you even had ?”

 

The brunette’s hand tightened around the wheel as she flushes.

 

Wendy gasped. “I know that look, Jennie Ruby Jane. Who did you have with?”

 

“I…” Jennie recalled last night with a small sad smile. “Slept with a beautiful stranger.”

 

“Prettier than me?”

 

“Of course not.”

 

Before Wendy can ask anymore questions, they receive a radio call.

 

“We have a report of a domestic disturbance in Hyde Park.”

 

“10-4. Car 186 is on the way, Over.”

 

“Copy that. Dispatching the address now.”

 

I was game time, no Rosé, no Ella. She needed to focus.

 

-----------------------

 

They drive through the suburbs for a few blocks before pulling up to the house dispatch mentioned. They see a couple standing outside on their front porch. The yelling can be heard from their vehicle.

 

“Yikes, that looks bad.”

 

“I know, so what’s our approach here?”

 

“Let’s see if we can talk them down. I’m not in the mood to make any arrests.”

 

Nodding both girls get out of the car and walk towards the porch. The couple doesn’t even glance at her as she approaches.

 

“You lying cheating piece of…”

 

“I did not ‘cheat’ on you. I explored other options outside of our marriage!”

 

“That’s what cheating is, you !”

 

Damn. Points for the wife.

 

Domestic disputes could get ugly very fast. Jennie thinks of what it takes to place that amount of trust in someone. She has broken up several disputes like this enough to make her wonder if it was even worth it.

 

“Maybe if you showed me any affection at all I wouldn't have to look for it elsewhere!”

 

As the wife was about to answer, a small child appears behind the couple.

 

“Mommy, what’s wrong?”

 

“Get back, Malcom!” Your mother is fine!”

 

The wife takes a step toward her husband, her fist clenched. And both Wendy and Jennie know this is where they step in.

 

“Okay, Let’s not take things too far here.” Jennie says stopping the woman.

 

“What are you doing here?!” The husband asks.

 

“Your neighbors called. They heard you two fighting and they were concerned.” Wendy explains.

 

“Nosy s. Someone should teach them to mind their own business.”

 

“Nosy or not, we had to come by to check it out. We just wanted to make sure you were all okay.”

 

The woman seems to calm down as both officers talk to her, her fist unclenching and going around her son.

 

“Mommy, why is daddy so mad?”

 

“It’s okay, honey. Just stay right here with mommy.” She tells her child before her turning to both officers. “We do appreciate you coming by, officers. Sometimes my husband just takes things a bit too far.”

 

The woman’s husband shoots death glares at her from his place standing in the doorway, as the husband takes a step forward something glints briefly on her hand and its then when Jennie notices he had a knife on his hand and is moving towards his wife and child. Acting quickly she runs towards the man and tackles him the knife flying off his hand.

 

Wendy looks for it as the woman places her child behind her watching as her husband was lying face down on the floor, Jennie on top of him, cuffing him as Wendy reads him his rights.

 

It was exhausting to say the least, but thankfully the rest of the day is full of a series of less than exciting calls. Really every domestic dispute she breaks is a reminder of just how quickly a relationship can unravel.

 

They are sitting in the car for the last couple of hours of their shift. Both with bubble tea on their hands, Wendy thinking about the boring paperwork she will have to do when they get back to the office and Jennie still thinking about a certain Australian vocalist, she just wanted her shift to end so she could see her sister and go to sleep forgetting everything about a certain blonde.

 

She was stretching her hands which felt stiff from holding the steering wheel all day when a sleek, black, tinted, Mercedes SUV peels out of a side street. Going at least over 20 in a residential area.

 

“Really? This is the last thing I need today.” Jennie said annoyed, flipping the lights and sirens on. “ing rich s who think they can do whatever they want.” She mumbled while Wendy looked at her amused.

 

They pull the car over and approach with caution, ticket book on hand.

 

The tinted windows lower slowly.

 

“Evening, do you know why I pulled you over?” Jennie asked as she looked up from where she was writing the ticket and when she does she stares directly into gorgeous eyes she doubts she will ever forget.

 

“Sorry, officer. I’m more used to driving on the other side of the road.”

 

“Rosé.”