Chapter 14

Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Focus on your trial, Jungeun. Stop thinking about other things for now, calm down.” Hugging the tense lawyer and softly rubbing her back, Jiwoo tries to comfort Jungeun.

They’re both at the parking of Courthouse right now, decided to not enter yet as they still have an hour left before the schedule of Kang Rami’s upcoming trial, the lawyer and her secretary cool down first.

After what happened last night, Jungeun starts to get anxious and cannot calm her own self. Making her best friend feels the tension and get worried.

The incident last night really affected the lawyer. Feeling that the fear slowly consumes her confidence and she cannot stop it from slowly eating her.

How can she though? When her daughter is still nowhere to be found and bunch of police are still trying to find Yerim everywhere since they reported that the kid got kidnapped. They can’t track down where Kang Hyelin is hiding at since last night.

She’s also nervous about Jinsol’s condition. Her girlfriend was hospitalized after what happened and was still sleeping in her ward when Jungeun left to get ready for the trial.

The lawyer cannot still progress everything and Jiwoo hopes her friend can make it to the court and win.

Jungeun’s secretary slash companion silently prays for her good luck, Jinsol’s recovery, and her goddaughter’s safety. The red haired hopes that everything will turn out well and back at peace again on that very same day.

Flashback:

Calling for an ambulance and crouching beside the bleeding woman on the ground, Haseul passed her phone to Vivi before she grabbed the handkerchief in her back pocket and put it on Jinsol’s left thigh, the part where she got shot.

The author screamed as the Ob-Gyn put the piece of cloth on top of her injury and trying to slow down the bleeding of her wound.

When she was trying to save her daughter, a gunshot was heard around the area and she fell on the ground with one of her thighs stinging. Jinsol got shot.

Jungeun approached her struggling girlfriend and tried to calm the trembling woman by holding her cheeks and make her look at her eyes, “Jinsol, baby, it’s okay. The ambulance is coming.” The lawyer whispered, also shaking. Her sight was getting blurry caused by her own tears but she kept her focus on the injured woman in her arms.

“Where the is the ambulance?!” Sooyoung screamed, getting out of patience, and worrying at her bleeding best friend.

After few minutes of waiting, the ambulance and medics finally arrived and brought Jinsol to the nearest hospital. Operating the injured woman to remove the bullet in her thigh and made her slept for the whole night until the next day by the drugs that was injected to her. Luckily, it was successful and nothing severe happened.

Jungeun stayed in her girlfriend’s ward that night, while her friends reported what happened to the police and her parents fixed the other stuffs. The lawyer kept holding Jinsol’s hand.

She never expected any of these to happen as she thought they were secured enough and can make it safe until the trial day. No one predicted the sudden danger that came to them.

End of Flashback:

͟

“-and then we ate pasta that night!”

A woman dressed in full black put her face on her palms while listening to the talking kid in front of her. Yerim keeps telling stories since morning after she woke up and ate her breakfast. Her kidnappers just let her share her stories and adventures, waiting for her to get tired.

“You got full after eating your pasta then?” The other woman but dressed in formal clothes approaches the bubbly kid and asks Yerim.

“Yes!” Yerim answers then turns her head to the woman who approached her. “Oh! You look like my Bruni!”

“Bruni?”

The two women look at each other for a couple of seconds, before turning their attention back to the nodding kid in front of them, “Yes! My mama! You look like her but you have yellow hair though.”

“It’s blonde, kid. Anyway France, please watch that kid while I go to trial.” The woman in formal clothes says before walking to a table and picks her car key.

“Are you sure you’ll go there, Hyelin? The police might arrest you.” The other woman named France says worriedly.

“Yeah, I don’t care if they arrest me or what. I can defend myself… I guess. And as long as that old woman stays in jail until she dies, I don’t care.” Hyelin says and fixes her blazer.

“Arrest? Die? That’s bad, right? Are you going to die?” Yerim butts in, making the blonde look at her. “Please stay.”

Hyelin raises her eyebrow when she sees tears running down on the kid’s cheeks and she immediately approaches Yerim, wiping her tears. “But I need to be present there.”

“But they’ll arrest you and you’ll die. That’s bad.” The kid sobs.

“That’s because I kidnapped you. It’s understandable that they’ll arrest me.”

“I’m sorry! Yerim is sorry!”

Both women got surprised when Yerim apologized and they try to make her calm.

“Why are you saying sorry? Stop crying.” France says.

“For kidnapping me, I’m sorry. Please don’t leave.”

Hyelin just let out a sigh and nods. “Unbelievable… Okay.”

After minutes of trying to calm the crying child, they let Yerim talk again and they just listen.

“She’s too pure. I can’t even raise my voice towards her-“Sighing, Hyelin continues, “There’s something weird in me and stopping me to scare her.” She whispers to the other woman while watching the talking kid in front of them.

“You’re too kind to do that, Hyelin.” France says.

“You think?” The blonde asks and the woman dressed in black nods her head.

“I honestly don’t know why we’re doing this. No offense.”

Hyelin remains silent and remembers her past.

When she was still a child, her father was her best friend. She was close with her father, not until everything turns upside down. Her father became violent but she still loves her no matter what. She believed he will change and be back to his old self.

But everything ended when she saw her father attacked her mother and after a loud thud, she found her father lying on the floor and surrounded by his own blood. Not moving nor breathing anymore. He died after her mother hit his head.

Since then, she hates her own mother and she swears she’ll do everything just to make her mother suffer and die inside the prison.

“Aunt! Is Yerim forgiven already?”

Waking up from her trance, the blonde looks at the child and she tilts her head. “What do you mean, kid?” She asks.

“Mommy said if you say sorry to the person you hurt, they will forgive you. And if they don’t, then you must keep saying sorry.” Yerim explains.

“Why is that?” Hyelin questions while raising her eyebrow.

“I don’t know…” She pouts. “But because Yerim loves you and Yerim hurt you… I should say sorry, and then aunt will forgive me. It’s better to forgive than hold anger, right?”

“How old is she?” France whispers but the other woman just ignores her.

“Am I forgiven, Aunt?”

Hyelin stares at the pouting kid for a while and thinks about something… Or someone, who kept apologizing to her for decades about for killing her father accidentally.

Her mother.

“Are you still mad, Aunt? Please forgive me. Yerim is really sorry.” Her eyes starts to water again, “Yerim didn’t do that in… intentionally? Intentionally. I’m sorry.”

“France, we’re going somewhere then to the court after. Take her with us.”

“What? Why?” France asks while carrying the still pouting child.

“I realized something.”

Hyelin can’t believe a child made her woke up from the grudge she was holding.

“What? But I shot her mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter