Chapter 4: The Punishment

Heaven and Earth

The Kim and Oh family were livid. It was the first time in centuries that Jihyun saw her parents with so much anger in their eyes. “What do you mean you don’t want to marry?!” Her parents screamed while she flinched, “I have made my intentions very clear, I don’t want to be a tool to strengthen power in the kingdom, I want to be with someone that I am truly in love with.” 

Upon saying that, Sehun’s expression fell. He knew she didn’t feel the same way, but for her to say something like that made him feel worse. “She’s right. We shouldn’t be forcing this marriage.” He spoke up despite the bitter feeling in his heart. “Sehun, do you know what you are saying?” His mother asked. 

“Yes, mother. I’m only 26, I’m not ready to get married yet, and besides, we are not even sure if Jihyun and I are suitable to be together.” He continued and the whole hall fell silent. “You have known each other your whole life, there’s no need to get to know each other anymore. You two should just get married right now.” His father rebutted. “Father, we really can’t get married…” Sehun opposed and this time, Jihyun added, “Please do not disrespect us because we are young, we have our own opinions too! I really do not want to lead a life that’s decided by others, I want to control my own fate.” She said firmly and she could tell her parents were getting angrier. 

That was when King Kim stepped in, “If you don’t agree to the marriage, I will send you down to Earth for the rest of your life as your punishment!” He shouted and Jihyun widened her eyes in horror. She could tell that everyone who was present, including her mother and brother were extremely surprised by his response. “What-t?” She stuttered, but her father did not falter.

“You heard me.” He said sternly and tears fell from her eyes, “You’re even willing to give up your daughter for power.” She said with a crack in her voice. She could tell that both her brother and mother were trying to plead with King Kim but he remained unfazed. Sehun was looking at her with an apologetic expression, and the Oh family looked extremely surprised as well. 

When he remained silent, she knew he was serious about this. 

“Even if I’m sent to Earth, at least I can say that I fought for my life.” She said with determination in her voice. At that moment, her brother knew he was going to lose his sister. 

“Was it not sufficient for you to control and dictate one of your children’s lives already?” Jihyuk said desperately. His parents whipped his head towards him, “Stay out of this, Jihyuk.” 

“2 years ago when you arranged the marriage for me, I accepted everything, not only because I wanted to abide by your requests, but also because I thought it’d be enough if I was the only one suffering. Now, you want to pull Jihyun into this misery as well?” His voice cracked as a tear rolled down his left cheek. 

“I can do whatever I want, and you can’t stop me.” King Kim said with a stern voice while Queen Kim remained quiet, but Jihyun could tell that her face was b with tears. 

“Is this your final decision? You’ll never be able to come back here, and you will be on Earth all alone, for the rest of your life.” King Kim emphasized but Jihyun did not waver. “I’d rather live like a human on earth, than be your puppet.” She said with a solemn voice as she glared at her father. 

“Guards!” King Kim screamed and two men in military uniform marched in and stood beside her, “Bring her to the portal!” In that instant, she was grabbed by the two men. She could hear the protests as her brother, mother and Sehun rushed towards her trying to get the guards off, but the guards held their grip. Everyone knew that King Kim’s words must not be disobeyed. 

The portal looked grim and scary. It was a black hole that linked the kingdom to Earth, and she had witnessed the ghastly screams of the people who were jumping in. She had heard rumors describing the trip as being in a pitch black room for 10 seconds, but there were also rumors that said other scary things. Rumors said that people who were banished to Earth would lose all their memories and have no recollection of anything that happened in the kingdom. She shuddered at the thought, “Do I really have no chance of coming back at all?” 

When they arrived at the portal, she could see them standing by the side with their heads down. “Just let her say her goodbyes.” Queen Kim said to the guards as she walked to Jihyun and held her by her shoulders, “I’m sorry my dear daughter, I can't fight him, but-”, before she could continue, Jihyun cut her off, “Mom, it’s alright, I will be fine.” She smiled as her eyes glistened with tears. Queen Kim peeked behind Jihyun’s back before shoving a small potion bottle into her hands, “Drink this, now.” She whispered to prevent the guards from hearing. 

“What is this?” She asked curiously as the sweet liquid ran down , “I can’t help you keep your powers when you’re down there, but this at least helps to prevent you from losing your memory.” Queen Kim whispered softly and Jihyun widened her eyes, “So the rumors were true?!” She whispered loudly while her mother shushed her, “Yes, I don’t want you to lose your memory when you’re on Earth, I don’t want you to forget us. One day, I hope to have the chance to see and hug you again…” She cried again and Jihyun hugged her tightly, “Thanks mom.”

“Please take care..” Jihyuk said after they separated as he wrapped her into a hug while they both sobbed into each other’s shoulders, “I’m proud of you, little sister. You did something which I could never have the courage to. Go live your life.” 

Last but not least, it was Sehun’s turn. “So, you’d rather be banished to Earth than marry me?” He chuckled and Jihyun’s tears rushed down her cheeks again, “Oh come on, I was just joking!” He said hurriedly but Jihyun could detect the hint of disappointment in his voice. “I’m sorry, Sehun.” 

“No matter what choice you make, I will always be here to support every decision. Even if we are a million miles apart, you will always have a friend in me, okay?” She nodded her head and he smiled. “I’m gonna miss you, partner.” She said and he laughed, “Me too.” 

After separating from the hug, she walked to the portal and took one last glance at her family. 

Taking a deep breath, she jumped in and everything went pitch black.